Liability Insurance

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a big discussion on this not long ago.

I don't recall the details, but I believe that the general consensus was that, in the state of TN, no insurance company will pay for damages caused by an intentional shooting, regardless of what any instructor or salesman said.

Why would one need insurance, anyway?

Have family member in the insurance business, I ask him about such and he just smiled and said you can get insurance on anything but how deep are your pockets. Then went on to say would probably cost you thousands to get a policy worth anything.

Guest milkman

I don't think there is such a thing as an Iron Clad contract from Lloyds. Look at what happened wit Allen Stanford, he had a policy that was supposed to cover bad conduct, but he still had to fight it out and have a judge order Lloyds to pay for his defense.

IMO with this type of insurance it would need to be offered through a group to be worth it, like if the NRA offered a policy then it could be ok, but for an individual I don't think that it would be cost effective on an individual basis. Again just my opinion.

My class discussed prepaid legal... I don't think that you could get an insurance policy that would be of much good (I work at one of the larger insurance agencies in the state and I've never heard of such a thing)

I'll dig out the prepaid info they gave out in my class if you want.

Guest HexHead

My wife's an insurance agent and has looked into this. According to what she's been told, Auto Owners (insurance co) offers a $1 million personal liability umbrella policy that covers costs associated with self defense. She was told this by one of her company's trainers that has one.

Guest jackdm3

I'd prefer to see limits in 1 to 3 million dollar range. Sad to see they pay costs if you get a favorable judgement. I'd want legal expenses covered no matter what.

"Criminal Defense Reimbursement for alleged criminal actions involving self-defense when you are acquitted of such criminal charges or the charges are dropped. "

EDIT: We have an umbrella of $1 million. At first one employee said their plan would cover us in the event of a shooting. When I called to re-verify a few months back, she initially said they would. I pressed harder for a better confirmation. She said she would check. Called me the next day and said, "Well they tell me that each case is different and we couldn't commit without the evidence."

Edited by jackdm3
I'd prefer to see limits in 1 to 3 million dollar range. Sad to see they pay costs if you get a favorable judgement. I'd want legal expenses covered no matter what.

"Criminal Defense Reimbursement for alleged criminal actions involving self-defense when you are acquitted of such criminal charges or the charges are dropped. "

EDIT: We have an umbrella of $1 million. At first one employee said their plan would cover us in the event of a shooting. When I called to re-verify a few months back, she initially said they would. I pressed harder for a better confirmation. She said she would check. Called me the next day and said, "Well they tell me that each case is different and we couldn't commit without the evidence."

HUH!

Well, I reckon some coverage is better than none.

Guest HexHead

Insurance doesn't cover if have a loss while committing a crime. If you are involved in a shooting and it's found not to be justifiable, you've probably also committed a crime. I can understand their logic in that.