New Rifle

Guest Plainsman

Guest Plainsman

I got a new Savage model 10FP in .308 with the 24" bbl recently. I have not had a chance to get it to the range yet, but hopefully it will be a shooter. I read some great reviews. I got the basic synthetic stock, which will serve its purpose for now. Maybe I'll upgrade later. I did some minor sanding on the forend and the barrel remains free floating while sitting on a rest, so it should be ok for now. This is my first Savage, therefore my first Accutrigger. I am very impressed with this trigger. The ease of adjustment and pull are excellent. I have mounted a Millett 4-16x56 Buck Gold on Warne Maxima rings and bases. I did find a problem with my optic however. For some reason, the crosshair tracks backwards from what turrett indicates. It seems to track very well, but bugs the hell out of me because the directions are reversed. I hate to unmount it and drive 60 miles to exchange it, but am thinking that if I ever wanted to sell it, the buyer would think it was defective. What do you think? Keep it and deal with it, or exchange it? I called Millett who told me that something with the reticle may have been installed backwards. I think this is funny because it has this big sticker on it saying that it had been computer tested and initialed by someone. Anyway, the clarity seems to be pretty good on the Millett even at its highest setting.

SN852228.jpg

SN852224.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the scope IS defective, I'd exchange it. I've been wanting one of those for a couple years for deer hunting. Either that or the Remington 700 SPS Tactical. The 20" barrel is more appealing to me. Maybe it's just because it says tactical on it, I'm a sucker like that!

Let's see some groups!

If the turrets have bullet impact and the arrow a direction...you will need to turn thee knob in the oposite direction of the arrow to get your impact to move to POA (point of aim). There is nothing wrong with the scope my SS (super sniper) 20x works the same way.

Nice stick by the way :D

Edited by MikeW
Guest Plainsman
If the turrets have bullet impact and the arrow a direction...you will need to turn thee knob in the oposite direction of the arrow to get your impact to move to POA (point of aim). There is nothing wrong with the scope my SS (super sniper) 20x works the same way.

Nice stick by the way :cheers:

OK, now I'm a bit confused, so please bear with me. I don't know if I'm familiar with the difference in bullet impact and the arrow of direction. My turrets tell me to turn counter clockwise to go "up", yet when turned counter clockwise the crosshair moves down. BUT, the turret itself moves up in its rotation. I have about eight or so rotations of elevation and my boresight puts me on about the second rotation from the top, giving me plenty of elevation adjustment left in the scope. Although, I would have thought that it would have sighted to its zero with the turret closest to the bottom and rotating up in conjunction with the crosshair.

SN852236.jpg

The windage turret works the same way. I turn counter clockwise and my crosshairs move left.

SN852237.jpg

Would the markings on the turrets really be indicative of which way the turret rotates instead of which way the reticle tracks?

It just all feels backwards to me, but I must say that this is my first scope like this as I am just getting into longer range shooting. Like I said before, everything thing else seems to work great so far.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Guest Plainsman

Thank you for your imput! I believe I have now wrapped my head around this. I also believe that you are correct, in that there is nothing wrong with my scope---I was simply not thinking about its adjustments properly. That being said, I do think that Millett and all of these other scopes that perform this way should explain this concept to you a little better. Thanks again for the help.

Guest Paulie771

Nice stick. I'd exchange or send the glass off for repair. Once that's done, get yourself a bipod and take it to Tullahoma for some 1k yard F-TR competitions. I've seen plenty of those rifles do quite well (180s and 190s).

It'll be the rifle I build off of when I can get the cash to start into F-TR again. It's my favorite type of competing.

Guest Plainsman
Nice stick. I'd exchange or send the glass off for repair. Once that's done, get yourself a bipod and take it to Tullahoma for some 1k yard F-TR competitions. I've seen plenty of those rifles do quite well (180s and 190s).

It'll be the rifle I build off of when I can get the cash to start into F-TR again. It's my favorite type of competing.

There is nothing wrong with the scope. As I stated before, I was simply reading my scope wrong. The direction indicator on the turret is regarding bullet impact, which is opposite of the direction the crosshair moves.

Tullahoma isn't too far away from me. I"ll have to check into the long range stuff.

Thank you for your imput! I believe I have now wrapped my head around this. I also believe that you are correct, in that there is nothing wrong with my scope---I was simply not thinking about its adjustments properly. That being said, I do think that Millett and all of these other scopes that perform this way should explain this concept to you a little better. Thanks again for the help.

Glad to help :tough: I have to think backasswards sometimes to keep it stright too LOL

Looks like that gun might still have the factory shipping grease on it. I could mistaken and ignore me if I am but that picture of the bolt looks like that nasty grease. When I get around to getting a bolt in .308 it will be a Savage since Remington's QC has went to crap as of late. Please give a range report when you get a chance I'd like to see what it will do.