does ammunition expire?

I was searching through some old boxes and found some .223 ammo that I'm guessing is probably 20 years old. A few of the rounds have changed colors and some look like they have leaked powder... Many of the others look fine. Out of 80 rounds only a few look bad.. Is it safe to shoot these? Other than a chance of misfire, jam, etc... My friend is a LEO and has a brand new Colt AR-15 that he said I could come shoot... thanks for the help

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Send all ammo that is older than 1 year to me for proper disposal.

I provide this service for free!

Just kidding. Except for the rounds with obvious damage, you should be fine. Ammo properly stored lasts for decades.

The "leaked powder" comment makes me wonder though...old ammo shouldn't leak.

Would it be safe to say if you kept your ammo in an air tight ammo can and it stayed above freezing it would be safe? I keep mine in the house but it stays by a windows so it would never get about 80 degrees but could get kind of cold at times. Just as a precaution I have thrown in the little packs of things to keep it dry, the ones you get with a new pair of shoes or a new hard drive.

The short answer is NO. If kept in a moderate temp. Any ammo will keep for 20 or more years. I have seen and shot ammo from the 40s . NO ammo has no expiration date if kept dry and in a temperate climate.

Yes, blueish green but only on a few rounds...

I think you have a few corroded rounds. I found some shotgun shells at my dad's house that were not properly stored in an old hunting jacket for decades. These things are nasty and greenish-blue on the brass. I wouldn't shoot ammo that has a lot of corrosion on the brass or is damaged.

Now, if they are just old without any damage then I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them.

The short answer is NO. If kept in a moderate temp. Any ammo will keep for 20 or more years. I have seen and shot ammo from the 40s . NO ammo has no expiration date if kept dry and in a temperate climate.

Here's some that probably won't last 10 years, maybe not 5.

897555.jpg

- OS

Only time I've ever had trouble from old ammo is some ancient 303. Primer would pop and that was it. Wouldn't even unseat the bullet. It had cordite and just would not go bang. We pulled some apart and lit a few individual cordite strands with a lighter. It just smoldered. Usually that stuff burns like a firecracker fuse.

Only time I've ever had trouble from old ammo is some ancient 303. Primer would pop and that was it. Wouldn't even unseat the bullet. It had cordite and just would not go bang. We pulled some apart and lit a few individual cordite strands with a lighter. It just smoldered. Usually that stuff burns like a firecracker fuse.

Cordite is an extremely stable compound, unless exposed to high temperatures. It's basically a form of nitrocellulose (guncotton). A good amount of the .303 surplus that was sold recently had obviously been stored in a pretty hot warehouse (or in the sun).

Most gunpowder will have the same limitations. Temperature fluctuations are bad, but heat is much worse than anything else. A freezing, thawing cycle can cause powder grains to fracture which can cause uneven burning.

Cordite is an extremely stable compound, unless exposed to high temperatures. It's basically a form of nitrocellulose (guncotton). A good amount of the .303 surplus that was sold recently had obviously been stored in a pretty hot warehouse (or in the sun).

Most gunpowder will have the same limitations. Temperature fluctuations are bad, but heat is much worse than anything else. A freezing, thawing cycle can cause powder grains to fracture which can cause uneven burning.

That's pretty interesting. You are right and usually the cordite stuff is more reliable. Also noticed that I had less residue in the barrel when it was time to clean. I think what I had was Pakistani manufacture.

A lot of my .45 tends to expire in just a few weeks.:D
It's like magic! Mine too!:D:D

Mine only expire when the firing pin hits the primer!

Is that normal?

:cool:

I have fired .303 British rounds that were older than my father.

Keep the temp and humidity extremes away and fire away as long as you like. :P