RIA Tactical - Replacement sights?

BryanP

Okay, last year I picked up an RIA Tactical. Fun little gun. The biggest complaint I had was that the sights are plain black and not a decent 3-dot, bar-dot, or similar layout. I kept thinking "Looks like a Novak cut of some sort, I'll just have them put in a new set of sights for me when I get around to it."

Today I emailed Novak and asked. Got this back:

They are not Novak sights and the dovetails are not our size and the sights are not the same size. We would not have anything that can be installed without extreme modification and or welding

Doing some more digging all I can find are notes about having to order sights and file them down or have someone do it for you. Anybody around here ever put a set of decent 3-dot sights on an RIA tactical? Know of a gunsmith that will do it maybe? I don't want to put a bunch of money into this gun, and the sights are probaby the only thing I want to change.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, last year I picked up an RIA Tactical. Fun little gun. The biggest complaint I had was that the sights are plain black and not a decent 3-dot, bar-dot, or similar layout. I kept thinking "Looks like a Novak cut of some sort, I'll just have them put in a new set of sights for me when I get around to it."

Today I emailed Novak and asked. Got this back:

Doing some more digging all I can find are notes about having to order sights and file them down or have someone do it for you. Anybody around here ever put a set of decent 3-dot sights on an RIA tactical? Know of a gunsmith that will do it maybe? I don't want to put a bunch of money into this gun, and the sights are probaby the only thing I want to change.

Bryan,

You may want to check out M1911.org website and looking under the RIA forum. they are a very informed group of guys and can also put you in touch with RIA's rep Ivan. I had a mil spec RIA 1911 for a while and you're right, the sights leave a lot to be desired!

Good luck!

Mine came with Fusion sights (bought my RIA used).

I don't like them, but as far as I can tell, they're the only ones made that will fit.

As far as cut goes, I thought the rear was the same as other 1911s, but the fronts are pinned which is the problem with buying replacements :)

You might want to try here for the dovetail sizes.

EFS-EMS-ECS & FS-MS-CS Dovetail Dimensions Are Located Here - The Charles Daly Forums

Both guns were made by Armscor so they may have the same size dovetails.

With the dovetail sizes you can look around for sights the same size or call somewhere like Brownell's and they should be able to tell you what will fit. Keep in mind they will still probably have to be fitted to a certain extent. Like everything on a 1911. :tough:

I had a pair of tritium XS sights put on my Charles Daly 1911 last year. I ordered them from Brownell's at the time they were discontinuing them.

Good Luck.

I made my own white dots on my RIA compact with white fingernail polish. Less than $2 in material and about two minutes of my time. Used a toothpick to apply the polish. The results are quite functional and have not worn off.

What have you got to lose? A good temporary measure if nothing else.

I had a RIA and hated the sights, took it to Jeff at G&L, he's pretty busy but put some really good 3 dot sights on it for me!!!! +1 for JEFF!!!!!! COOP

That's on my list of options. G&L isn't exactly next door for me, and I know he's busy a lot. Besides, when I go bug him it's probably going to be to drop off my Hi Power for a thorough going over.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Any 1911 "novak cut" sights will work... They'll need to be fit a bit with a file but they're the size/cut that'll work.

It's pretty easy actually... If you own a file, a small hammer, a vise, and a brass punch and/or wooden block, you're in business.

After you get 'em sighted in you can keep 'em there with green loctite (the green loctite is the penetrating type, it's like the red except you can use it after the fact, you'll probably have to get it at an auto parts store).

Edited by CK1
Check the first message. Novak seems to disagree.

Yeah, I saw the first post...

Novak as a brand has not licensed or supplied the sights to lots of manufacturers out there who spec and ship their guns with what are called "Novak-style" sights... like Rock Island Armory.

"Novak-cut" in the gunsmith world is more of a term to describe the dimensions and style of the cut (sorta like a carpenter would view a "Dovetail-joint"), it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with specifically Novak as a company... I think companies like Heine, Ameriglo, Warren Tactical,etc. all make sights with a "Novak cut", not sure what Novak themselves would really have to say about that, but since they're all referring to the cut and not the actual sight itself the point is kinda moot.

For another example, you can get sights that have nothing to do with LPA with an LPA-cut, sights with a Kimber-cut from companies that aren't tied to Kimber....

I bet Novak has no idea if their sights fit an RIA, they probably can tell you if they fit a Nighthawk or other maker that they work with though.

Edited by CK1

If your're going to 'dot' your existing sights, I've found that BIC Witeout does a good job. It's brilliant white and comes in a ballpoint applicator - you don't need a toothpick. I've used it for years.

Sold in office supply stores, maybe Wallyworld too.

Yeah, I saw the first post...

Novak as a brand has not licensed or supplied the sights to lots of manufacturers out there who spec and ship their guns with what are called "Novak-style" sights... like Rock Island Armory.

"Novak-cut" in the gunsmith world is more of a term to describe the dimensions and style of the cut (sorta like a carpenter would view a "Dovetail-joint"), it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with specifically Novak as a company... I think companies like Heine, Ameriglo, Warren Tactical,etc. all make sights with a "Novak cut", not sure what Novak themselves would really have to say about that, but since they're all referring to the cut and not the actual sight itself the point is kinda moot.

For another example, you can get sights that have nothing to do with LPA with an LPA-cut, sights with a Kimber-cut from companies that aren't tied to Kimber....

I bet Novak has no idea if their sights fit an RIA, they probably can tell you if they fit a Nighthawk or other maker that they work with though.

I think you are correct, Wayne and company will not do work on what they consider sub par 1911's or any other pistol for that matter

[/b]

I think you are correct, Wayne and company will not do work on what they consider sub par 1911's or any other pistol for that matter

Exactly.

Bob at Fusion Firearms (ex Dan Wesson president BTW) is probably the most helpful and friendly 1911 guru I've come across... He also make lots of sights and hop up parts for 1911's that are priced reasonably, I've done sights on an RIA Tactical so I'm not BSing you, but if you ever want really good answers or maybe sights that are ready to go I'd drop him a line...

Exactly.

Bob at Fusion Firearms (ex Dan Wesson president BTW) is probably the most helpful and friendly 1911 guru I've come across... He also make lots of sights and hop up parts for 1911's that are priced reasonably, I've done sights on an RIA Tactical so I'm not BSing you, but if you ever want really good answers or maybe sights that are ready to go I'd drop him a line...

Thanks for the info. I'll look into them. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into them. Much appreciated.

You're welcome. I mention Fusion 'cause they have fronts that can be pinned if you wish like the stockers on the RIA if I remember right, plus if you see anything else you ever want to upgrade like a hammer or trigger or whatever Bob's your guy, he even offers kits and will help guys roll their own!

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...
You're welcome. I mention Fusion 'cause they have fronts that can be pinned if you wish like the stockers on the RIA if I remember right, plus if you see anything else you ever want to upgrade like a hammer or trigger or whatever Bob's your guy, he even offers kits and will help guys roll their own!

Good Luck.

Thanks again. I just ordered a set of these, which I found linked in a thread on m1911.org. When they show up I just need to get someone to put them on for me.