Carry on Tennesse Lakes TWRA/Corps of Engineers

Hey I've looked and I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up before, but,

My father and I fish lakes in the Nashville area Mainly Percey Priest and Old Hickory, My question was is it legal to carry on these lakes, I know they are under the TWRA and The Corps of Engineers, and the US Coast Guard patrols the lake along with the TWRA. But being on the lake most people are Friendly but. Just wanted to know would feel safer as anywhere while carrying ?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I called the TWRA about this same question a few weeks ago. The woman on the phone wasn't sure so she asked her supervisor.. Her answer was that they did not enforce this but that it WAS ok to carry as long as you have your permit.

Edited by Erik88

well here is an answer this is off of the US Corps of Engineer site

TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY

CHAPTER III--CORPS OF ENGINEERS,

DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY

PART 327--RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS--Table of Contents

Sec. 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.

(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile

firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is

prohibited unless:

(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement

officer;

(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under Sec. 327.8,

with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting

and fishing sites;

(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or

(4) Written permission has been received from the District

Guest Baddawg865

I run a marina, and live on douglas lake. I have asked twra this question and they all tell me the same thing. It's not heavy inforced if you have a ccp. BUT, there are a few guys that patrol that are a little more strict. Not sure they would actually do anything but hassle you.

As long as there are no beer on the boat, i think it is fine. Just be smart!!

As long as there are no beer on the boat...

I think a lot of people just read that and gasped, as if you said "as long as the sun rises in the West...".

You're right, of course, but a boat without beer is like a day without sunshine. You have to choose between keeping the weapons at home (what about pirate attacks?), or fish and ski without beer :up:.

It's a true conundrum.

I didn't mean to imply that carrying while boating becomes illegal if alcohol is present - my post was unclear on that point. It's really just an opportunity to be hassled for an hour, potentially wrecking a nice day on the lake while dealing with LEOs who have no choice but to do the follow-through required.

How would the legality be muddled if the weapon was not on the oerson of the non-drinking HCP holder? It would seem reasonable to put your gun in a glovebox, tacklebox, or other dry place if dressed only in swim trunks or similar attire. Would access to the weapon by folks who have been drinking then become an issue?

IANAL, but I think it would be best for armed person, to either have the weapon on their person or in a place that only they have access to.

If it is in a location where someone else has can get to it, then it can be argued they have "constructive posession" of it. Sort of like when the dope is in the center console and no one claims it, then the driver and the front seat passenger can both be charged with posession of it.

Not to say that all would be charged, but if being detained is of a concern to you, it could definetly add to the length of that I would say.