anyone have or shot a steyr?

Guest Baddawg865

Guest Baddawg865

My buddy just bought one and now I'm kinda interested in one. This is the first one I have seen. He got a 40. There are a few guys that are friends at the PDF that shoot them as well. They state that they would use it as their carry over the glock if they could. Just wanted to see what you all think. And I hear they are hard to get as well.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a couple. An M40 and an S9A1.

Both are good shooters and I've had no FTF or FTE issues as long as they're clean.

As for daily carry, probably not for me. I am still not real comfortable with their trap sights.

My buddy just bought one and now I'm kinda interested in one. This is the first one I have seen. He got a 40. There are a few guys that are friends at the PDF that shoot them as well. They state that they would use it as their carry over the glock if they could. Just wanted to see what you all think. And I hear they are hard to get as well.

Why could they not use it as their carry gun?

No reason at all. I just have issues being accurate with the trap sights. It's my brain that doesn't work, not the gun.:D

Both of my Steyrs have been completely dependable. 100%. Their customer service is also top notch.

Sounds like the Glock is their issued weapon.

I shot a styer at the TGO meet n shoot. It does have sights that would take some getting used to. It is a comfortable gun and economical, but I still prefer the Glock. JMHO

Guest Loaded247

I have the M40A1, and I like it....and I also prefer it over the Glock. The only problem I have is the sights....good at 'combat distances', but just doesn't work well for me if I stretch the range out.....

I've had 2 M9-A1's and a M357-A1.

They're just awesome guns, super underrated... They stack up right next to a Glock, M&P, or XD, but are built better than all of those. The grips on them and their overall ergos are fantastic and with some time the trap sights rock. Also, the customer service from them is the best I've ever experienced (I called to ask when I may want to watch for replacing parts in one and their gunsmith Jeff just sent me everything I'd ever need so I wouldn't get stuck needing a part when the time came... That's cool).

Their Achilles heel is this: while the triggers are usually better than other striker fired guns the clockwork is unique and the pulls will vary and be inconsistent. They have virtually no pretravel or creep and very little to no overtravel so most people could care less since their triggers are so much better than what they've experienced, but the pull weight changes and varies a bit, you'll get like 9 nice 4.5lb pulls in a row followed by a 6lb pull... it's in their design and while not a big deal can drive some guys crazy.

If it weren't for where you can bring an M&P with a trigger job i'd still be shooting them.

I shot one... Good trigger, smooth operation, nice grip... the best way to put it is that it has all the best features of a Glock and a S&W Sigma, plus some funky sights that grow on ya pretty quick. I didn't like it enough to run out and buy one, but I respect how well made they are.

Guest Baddawg865

It is their issued gun. Thanks for all of the information guys. Sounds like it is a pretty good gun. I'm gonna have to get with the guys and shoot it some. I'll let you know how it goes when I go.