OPEN CARRY

Guest Mad4rcn

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't tell if this is a quote from the police or your embellishment............Either source, it is total :DBS.:P Anyone whom I would consider elderly remembers that guns won WW11. Many households had a gun behind a door. Most of them remember histories of gun control by other nations and the results the people received from gun controls. No, it 'ain't' the elderly, it is the young left wing stupid or in very few cases the old and stupid.

oldogy

Never mind; I'll pm it...

Pros: Increased accessibility and draw speed because you can position the gun ideally in a better holster, greater comfort, ability to carry a full size pistol you shoot more often and more effectively, ability to wear normal properly fitting clothes without needing tuckable holsters and subcompact peashooters, potential for deterrence (which is likely of little or no value if someone is actually determined, drugged or crazy), and did I mention greater comfort?

Cons: Increased attention (in my experience, and those of many others, this is profoundly exaggerated on the internet vs. real-life... I have been approached 1 time in 5 years, and after just being polite it was 'oh, ok cool'... most people don't even notice), reduced ability to surprise an attacker (it is doubtful 'surprise' or 'shock value' is a benefit in a real self defense situation which you have any valid justification to use your weapon in... kinda like thinking that racking a shotgun will surprise the burglar into submission), OC is less politically correct, CC allows those who want to carry where they are not wanted or supposed to to do so discreetly while OC does not, it makes you less popular on the internet with those who only CC themselves, Open Carry does seem to attract more than a few attention seekers though, by its nature... which leads to it being associated with less stable people (this is understandable, but waaaaay overplayed).

I can't tell if this is a quote from the police or your embellishment............Either source, it is total :poop:BS.:poop: Anyone whom I would consider elderly remembers that guns won WW11. Many households had a gun behind a door. Most of them remember histories of gun control by other nations and the results the people received from gun controls. No, it 'ain't' the elderly, it is the young left wing stupid or in very few cases the old and stupid.

oldogy

Edit: I do not normally open carry. I would never carry into a convenience store, just asking for what the OP mentioned or some variation problem. In the rare event that I do OC I try to appear presentable and not like a bum......

I'll clarify.. It's the stupid! Has nothing to do with Age.. Just like the germaphobe, their gunnaphobe's. Some people are just plain ;)

It also has nothing to do with educated vs uneducated. Just like the idiots standing with signs outside of planned parenthood or the neighborhood adult bookstore. All :screwy: if you ask me.

Get a life people!

Guest Caveman

I Love to open carry. I usually wear a blue or black polo, tucked in to my BDU's with my gun on my hip and my HCP badge on my belt. I also drive my decommissioned Crown Victoria around while I open carry. I havent had any problems ;)

Welcome and here is one of my first posts when I signed up here.

For what it's worth,,,

I am an HCP holder and put a lot of thought into the responsibilities of having it. Having said that, I have read some posts that concern me when I drill down into the possible repercussions of what seems like perfectly legal and acceptable actions.

One, is going for a walkabout armed just to see if someone notices. Secondly is open carry. The third concern is informing businesses that they are not legally posted. Again, I do understand that we have the legal right to do so.

I have made some personal choices that should be important to all of us.

(a) The first is not to carry to be seen or try to be noticed, secondly not to open carry. If we do these things it just draws attention to ourselves and gives the liberal sheep another thump on the nose :stick:to stand up for gun control. For those against HCP's it is like pouring salt in a wound.:stir:I think it is best to be unnoticed :cool:and enjoy our rights as we go about our daily lives. Remember the old saying, out of sight, out of mind. :tough:

We should however stand up and fight for the rights our forefathers and veterans gave their lives and time to insure we have. There is a place and time to fight legal and judicial battles and it is not at your local retailer. What they don't know will not hurt them, what they do know gives passage for talking up a wave of people to be against us and our rights.

A man's wife may be extremely good looking but he doesnt take her to Wal Mart in a bikini just to see if everyone notices does he?

(B) If we just let the businesses alone who are not posting in compliance and quietly carry, we always have an ace in the hole. Let them figure it out on their own (or not). You would not stop on the side of the road and tell a trooper shooting radar that he did not do it correctly or he would have caught you speeding would you?

We do not need to prove to the world that we can protect ourselves unless we unfortunately have to do it.

These of course are just my personal opinions. Think about it.

Just wondering how many people actually carry open and if they have had problems with LEO's.How do you feel about open carry and your opinions or pros and cons of open carry.

These days, I open carry almost every time I go out... or at least as openly as this weather will allow us. I have openly, IWB carried in Wal-Mart, Kroger, Bliss, Trader Joe's, and countless other places, and the only location where the topic even came up was Stover's Liquidators on the east side of Knoxville, where the store manager asked what I was carrying out of curiosity (he was ex-military as well).

And, trust me, my holster is not going to be mistaken for an "official" one.

Pros and cons are numerous in both directions... I would strongly recommend heading over to OpenCarry.org and seeing what the Tennessee section of that forum can tell you. Naturally, those folks are going to be a little more pro-open than the average folks here, but you might as well get both sides of the debate.

Understand that it will attract attention, even if that attention is not verbalized or expressed. Understand that people in TN have been harassed and arrested by police officers for openly carrying, even though it is legal. And, understand it is both a huge deal, and not a big deal at all - I would be amazed if even half the people I walked past identified that I had a firearm on my hip.

As one last thought, I certainly would not say that those of us who carry concealed (and I still do periodically) would do so somewhere where it is illegal or against the rules, but openly carrying removes that option right off. That said, I saw a gentleman openly carrying a full-size Glock in West Town Mall a month or so back (which is against mall rules), so who knows?

Oh. And have fun with the drama this thread will create. :tough:

I have never opened carried. Typically IWB or pocket carry. I was telling a LEO I know personally, about looking at new .380 pocket gun. He ask why not carry something larger with more stopping power. Told him didn't typically open carry. He ask why not your doing it legally? Can carry something bigger etc etc. I was just surprised a LEO recommending open carry..

Guest Mad4rcn

I am as surprised as you !! open carry it not a big deal here in my little part of the state,which is Chattanooga and Collegedale,Ooltewah.LEO's my ask to see permit,more times they just nod head and keep walking or driving by.Have excellent LEO's here in the city and in the county.

Welcome and here is one of my first posts when I signed up here.

For what it's worth,,,

I am an HCP holder and put a lot of thought into the responsibilities of having it. Having said that, I have read some posts that concern me when I drill down into the possible repercussions of what seems like perfectly legal and acceptable actions.

One, is going for a walkabout armed just to see if someone notices. Secondly is open carry. The third concern is informing businesses that they are not legally posted. Again, I do understand that we have the legal right to do so.

I have made some personal choices that should be important to all of us.

(a) The first is not to carry to be seen or try to be noticed, secondly not to open carry. If we do these things it just draws attention to ourselves and gives the liberal sheep another thump on the nose :stick:to stand up for gun control. For those against HCP's it is like pouring salt in a wound.:stir:I think it is best to be unnoticed :cool:and enjoy our rights as we go about our daily lives. Remember the old saying, out of sight, out of mind. :hiding:

We should however stand up and fight for the rights our forefathers and veterans gave their lives and time to insure we have. There is a place and time to fight legal and judicial battles and it is not at your local retailer. What they don't know will not hurt them, what they do know gives passage for talking up a wave of people to be against us and our rights.

A man's wife may be extremely good looking but he doesnt take her to Wal Mart in a bikini just to see if everyone notices does he?

(:biglol: If we just let the businesses alone who are not posting in compliance and quietly carry, we always have an ace in the hole. Let them figure it out on their own (or not). You would not stop on the side of the road and tell a trooper shooting radar that he did not do it correctly or he would have caught you speeding would you?

We do not need to prove to the world that we can protect ourselves unless we unfortunately have to do it.

These of course are just my personal opinions. Think about it.

See post 29

I don't think I've ever chimed in before on this issue, so I'll put in my .02 worth..

I do not open carry - I think it's a bad idea, and I don't need the hassle. That being said, I also do not panic if the bottom of my holster or end of my grip is occasionally visible like I did when I first received my permit. It is legal for me to carry my gun, and I'll explain that if/when I ever have to do so.

I don't OC, either. I either IWB or OWB with a untucked shirt. I don't care if I print, or if the muzzle shows, but I just don't like the idea of walking around with a gun openly on my hip. I keep my head on a swivel at all times, but if I OC'd I'd likely get whiplash from trying to stay situationally aware. It's also a misconception that CC'ing equals carrying a peashooter. I carry a Taurus PT92AF (M9 clone) every day. Sometimes I carry a 1911, too. Both are full framed semi-autos. Unless I was heading to the lake, that's what I would carry. The lake equals the 92 in a backpack, and a 709 Slim or 38 Spl IWB of swimming trunks. If you guys want to OC, that's cool. It's your right. If you're out in the country somewhere, I'll walk right along with you. If your in town, though, I'm not getting near you if you OC (unless you have a REAL badge on your belt).

Speaking of badges...I saw a bunch of the HCP badges at the show last weekend. I was gonna take a pic for your guys, but I was trying to keep up with my dad.

Guest Caveman
I don't OC, either. I either IWB or OWB with a untucked shirt. I don't care if I print, or if the muzzle shows, but I just don't like the idea of walking around with a gun openly on my hip. I keep my head on a swivel at all times, but if I OC'd I'd likely get whiplash from trying to stay situationally aware. It's also a misconception that CC'ing equals carrying a peashooter. I carry a Taurus PT92AF (M9 clone) every day. Sometimes I carry a 1911, too. Both are full framed semi-autos. Unless I was heading to the lake, that's what I would carry. The lake equals the 92 in a backpack, and a 709 Slim or 38 Spl IWB of swimming trunks. If you guys want to OC, that's cool. It's your right. If you're out in the country somewhere, I'll walk right along with you. If your in town, though, I'm not getting near you if you OC (unless you have a REAL badge on your belt).

Speaking of badges...I saw a bunch of the HCP badges at the show last weekend. I was gonna take a pic for your guys, but I was trying to keep up with my dad.

Yeah, I usually catch a few at the gun shows. If nothing else it gives us something to laugh at.:D

I personally don't plan to open carry outside my home or place of business unless I'm really in the backwoods somewhere. I'm carrying for self-defense and not to draw attention to myself. I don't really see the need to open carry with easily concealable, service caliber handguns available. Why flaunt what you've got?

On the other hand, I'm a skinny guy and I'd rather print a little at times than carry a gun of insufficient caliber. I also think it would be irresponsible to carry something that is so uncomfortable to shoot that I won't practice with it. Most people just don't look check you out that closely so I'm not going to walk around worrying that someone who see's my front looks full will know it's a Glock 26. If I ever decide to open carry I think I might feel an obligation to be a little extra friendly to let people know that someone isn't a threat just b/c they carry. We can help shape peoples opinions for better or worse. We can be a nice friendly guy with a gun or an immature moron with an AK pistol who is obviously too fat to be law enforcement or military.

All that said, I'm more comfortable with CC.

Edited by JReedEsq
Pros: Increased accessibility and draw speed because you can position the gun ideally in a better holster, greater comfort, ability to carry a full size pistol you shoot more often and more effectively, ability to wear normal properly fitting clothes without needing tuckable holsters and subcompact peashooters, potential for deterrence (which is likely of little or no value if someone is actually determined, drugged or crazy), and did I mention greater comfort?

Cons: Increased attention (in my experience, and those of many others, this is profoundly exaggerated on the internet vs. real-life... I have been approached 1 time in 5 years, and after just being polite it was 'oh, ok cool'... most people don't even notice), reduced ability to surprise an attacker (it is doubtful 'surprise' or 'shock value' is a benefit in a real self defense situation which you have any valid justification to use your weapon in... kinda like thinking that racking a shotgun will surprise the burglar into submission), OC is less politically correct, CC allows those who want to carry where they are not wanted or supposed to to do so discreetly while OC does not, it makes you less popular on the internet with those who only CC themselves, Open Carry does seem to attract more than a few attention seekers though, by its nature... which leads to it being associated with less stable people (this is understandable, but waaaaay overplayed).

Great Post.

I Love to open carry. I usually wear a blue or black polo, tucked in to my BDU's with my gun on my hip and my HCP badge on my belt. I also drive my decommissioned Crown Victoria around while I open carry. I havent had any problems :D

I have actually seen and told this story multiple times on here. Guy here in Memphis, was eating at McAlisters.

Yeah, I usually catch a few at the gun shows. If nothing else it gives us something to laugh at.:up:

Badges make it ok, in fact, they make everything ok, them make you invincible, untouchable, fertile, agile, and you can cure diseases.

Srsly, as far as the question from the OP. I CC most of the time, I have and will continue to OC on certain occasions. I don't care what someone else does, as long as they don't do it in a stupid way, like a AK pistol on a sling. I carry mostly CC because that is the way I am set up, the most comfortable with, and I don't like changing things around, like going back and forth from IWB to OWB.

My main thing is, I'm glad it IS legal to open carry. Because without that part of the law, if you are carrying and happen to show, like reaching for a shelf, squatting down to get something on the bottom shelf and you accidentally show your gun or print or whatever, you can't get arrested and charged, or whatever.

Do what you like, and do it well, your life could depend on it.

Guest Caveman
Great Post.

I have actually seen and told this story multiple times on here. Guy here in Memphis, was eating at McAlisters.

Badges make it ok, in fact, they make everything ok, them make you invincible, untouchable, fertile, agile, and you can cure diseases.

Srsly, as far as the question from the OP. I CC most of the time, I have and will continue to OC on certain occasions. I don't care what someone else does, as long as they don't do it in a stupid way, like a AK pistol on a sling. I carry mostly CC because that is the way I am set up, the most comfortable with, and I don't like changing things around, like going back and forth from IWB to OWB.

My main thing is, I'm glad it IS legal to open carry. Because without that part of the law, if you are carrying and happen to show, like reaching for a shelf, squatting down to get something on the bottom shelf and you accidentally show your gun or print or whatever, you can't get arrested and charged, or whatever.

Do what you like, and do it well, your life could depend on it.

Yeah, I read it, that's the story my sarcasm was derived from. I thought that was flippin hilarious, and a bit sad.

IMO improper concealment is worse than OC in someways.

If you really think people are going to panic and/or it draw attention if you OC, don't you think the sight of a "hidden" weapon would cause the same, if not more, "panic" than if it is already just in plain sight?

I'm not saying that OC is better, but just feel that if you CC then it should be done well enough that no one ever knows.

I am with fallguy here, if you CC, then really CC. I carry a Ruger P90, it's a big gun. I am a big guy, and I use an IWB holster and have CC with a tanktop and beach shorts. I know it sounds funny, but it is possible.

IMO improper concealment is worse than OC in someways.

If you really think people are going to panic and/or it draw attention if you OC, don't you think the sight of a "hidden" weapon would cause the same, if not more, "panic" than if it is already just in plain sight?

I'm not saying that OC is better, but just feel that if you CC then it should be done well enough that no one ever knows.

I'm not saying I'm going to walk around with an unholstered chrome-plated jennings in the wasteband some pants which are hanging off of my arse. I'm just saying that I'm not going to worry if it looks like I've got a fat wallet in my front pocket or someone sees the clips of an iwb holster.

I'm not going to carry anywhere I'm prohibited by law anyway.

I think by the numbers alone, I'm less likely to freak someone out if 99.9% don't see my gun than if 100% can openly see my gun.