I fired my first Saiga .223 today

sigmtnman

After being used to only shooting .223 through an AR, it felt much different. Obviously the guns are totally different so why would they not? It seemed like a much larger caliber and it really felt nice to have the solid feedback from the rifle. I hit a gallon milk jug with 8/10 at about 75 yards using the irons. :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never shot a Saiga, held one, seemed nice. My old Romy in 7.62x39 will shoot 1 in. all day at 100yds. with Win. ammo. So the saiga which is Russian built , should shoot at least that at 150, with that little bullet.:lol:

125 is the fairest I've shot targets with it, measured behind my house, uphill. Kneeling still able to hold 1in. Did I mention at 100 bench rest, 40% of my groups are 3/4in. , thats with Win. ammo. The cheap Wolf opens up to 1 3/4in. groups at 100. I've got a cheap Tapco single stage trigger in mine, good quarter inch take-up but breaks at a nice crisp 3lbs. The crude iron sights are the biggest draw-back, that and the short sight radius.

Ummm... Well to be honest the furthest I've shot a Saiga 223 was at about 25 yards, offhand, at dusk. I actually have the Crazy Bones as Terrorist target hanging on my closet door. My 5 round head shot grouping was about 2 inches with iron sights. That's about the same as my (former)AR. Admittedly I am a poor rifle shooter... I was using Remington 55 grain FMJ. As soon as I can shoot rested at distance I will be sure to post again. The recoil from a 223 AK seems alot less than from the 7.62X39, but alas I couldn't do a side by side comparison. Can't wait to try a 308. :tough:

125 is the fairest I've shot targets with it, measured behind my house, uphill. Kneeling still able to hold 1in. Did I mention at 100 bench rest, 40% of my groups are 3/4in. , thats with Win. ammo. The cheap Wolf opens up to 1 3/4in. groups at 100. I've got a cheap Tapco single stage trigger in mine, good quarter inch take-up but breaks at a nice crisp 3lbs. The crude iron sights are the biggest draw-back, that and the short sight radius.

Is that wolf with the bench rest?

Ummm... Well to be honest the furthest I've shot a Saiga 223 was at about 25 yards, offhand, at dusk. I actually have the Crazy Bones as Terrorist target hanging on my closet door. My 5 round head shot grouping was about 2 inches with iron sights. That's about the same as my (former)AR. Admittedly I am a poor rifle shooter... I was using Remington 55 grain FMJ. As soon as I can shoot rested at distance I will be sure to post again. The recoil from a 223 AK seems alot less than from the 7.62X39, but alas I couldn't do a side by side comparison. Can't wait to try a 308. :up:

The recoil is much less, yes I agree. I have a blackjack buffer in my .308 and that tamed it.

The recoil is much less, yes I agree. I have a blackjack buffer in my .308 and that tamed it.

I put one of those Blackjack buffers in my Romy, combined with the JTEC muzzle-brake, sure tamed the "kitty" no it's not as soft as an AR, but teamed with a AK74 but pad, felt recoil is cut by 40%. It's really a sweet shooter for a cheapass Romy.:D

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to shoot my Saiga 223 at 50 yards today. Of course it was late afternoon, with the sun hanging low in the sky, at about 1 o'clock behind the target. Not to mention I have a boo boo on my trigger finger. Anyways, I opened up my brick of Hornady steel cased 55 grain FMJ-BT MADE IN THE USA training ammo. Didn't shoot, smell or frustrate me like my brick of Wolf did. Of course it did cost me $45 more for 500 rounds than my Wolf did a year and a half ago. Maybe only $25 difference currently. Anyways to the point, after rigging a shade so that only the front sight had glare, I was able to shoot a 3 shot slightly less than one inch group while resting on my Ace Case pistol bag. That is exactly the same as I could shoot my former AR with iron sights and brass case Remington 55 grainers. When it warms up I'll do a side by side comparison with my sissy AR-totin shooting buddies... Can't wait to try the 100 yard at Prentice Cooper but I don't hang targets there without a friend watching my six. Other than my canted front sight I couldn't be happier with my Russian 223. :)

Yeah, I've never shot any wolf that was "match grade" haha, yep, 1 and 3/4 in, wolf fmj at 100yds. from bench, best 5 round group 1 and 1/4in., worst 1 and 7/8in. "slight cant" won't hurt a thing. Key word is slight. Might I make a suggestion? Get you a QD scope rail, and an inexpensive, Truglo makes some good ones, 3,4,even 5moa red dot. That will turn your Sagia from fun to shoot, to a Blast to shoot !!! You'll get more shots quicker on target.!

Edited by Ae-35
spelling Yeah, I know