carry permit delay

Guest FastLane1000

Guest FastLane1000

Hey guys and girls,

I'm new here and this is my first post. So hi to all! Anyways, I found Lisa Knight's e-mail on here last night and sent her one. I applied for my carry permit in September '09. The first week of November I received a letter where they had found a charge from '99 (10 years ago)for "Criminal Impersonation" (I used a fake id and got busted by an officer trying to get into a 21 and over establishment while a student at UT). So i mailed in the ceritfied disposition as they requested. The disposition showed that it was dismissed after completion of diversion (6 mo. unsupervised probation and fines). I went ahead and filed the paperwork to have the charge expunged. I also mailed in that paperwork to the handgun permit office a couple weeks later. So now I'm about 8 weeks + and been wondering what is going on. So i e-mailed Lisa to make sure she has received all the paperwork. I got a call this morning from a lady named Jamie and she told me they had received everything and that it takes 6-8 weeks and they would be reviewing all the paperwork. Anyone had a similar experience? Surely there is nothing there that would deny my permit right? Thanks for your input. I sure didn't have any problem buying two guns this past year.

Thanks,

Fast Lane

xdm .40 bi-tone

taurus pt709 blued

Edited by FastLane1000
spelling
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys and girls,

I'm new here and this is my first post. So hi to all! Anyways, I found Lisa Knight's e-mail on here last night and sent her one. I applied for my carry permit in September '09. The first week of November I received a letter where they had found a charge from '99 (10 years ago)for "Criminal Impersonation" (I used a fake id and got busted by an officer trying to get into a 21 and over establishment while a student at UT). So i mailed in the ceritfied disposition as they requested. The disposition showed that it was dismissed after completion of diversion (6 mo. unsupervised probation and fines). I went ahead and filed the paperwork to have the charge expunged. I also mailed in that paperwork to the handgun permit office a couple weeks later. So now I'm about 8 weeks + and been wondering what is going on. So i e-mailed Lisa to make sure she has received all the paperwork. I got a call this morning from a lady named Jamie and she told me they had received everything and that it takes 6-8 weeks and they would be reviewing all the paperwork. Anyone had a similar experience? Surely there is nothing there that would deny my permit right? Thanks for your input. I sure didn't have any problem buying two guns this past year.

Thanks,

Fast Lane

xdm .40 bi-tone

taurus pt709 blued

Yes,

I had a charge on me from 13 years ago. That have you ever been arrested in the last five years deal on the app is a crock of doo doo. I got a letter at around the 60 day mark. I went down to the court house and got my expungment paperwork and faxed it and emailed it in to a girl named Jennifer Brawley I had been dealing with. Since I was already ticked off she issued me that day. Sent it to the print farm where it sat for 10 days and then they mailed it to me which took an additional two days.

Welcome aboard !

Rule of thumb is this........if you can purchase, you can permit.

Having said that, I long ago got out of the business of predicting what TDOS is going to do. Good luck.

Not entirely true and they tell you at the dos website. Just because you can buy a gun does not mean you will be able to get a permit. They run a little bit more of a thourough check when you get your permit than when you get your gun. I see what you are saying though and tend to agree.

Also,

It may have also sped things up after me sending in the paperwork because I told jennifer brawley that they were "denying" my consitutional right to bear arms by not issuing me and that if something were to happen to me or my family since I had not actually received my permit in the mail even though I was approved. I advised her I would hold her and the state legally responsible. She issued me that day when I told her that.

I would also like to add that once they (dos) receive the paperwork they then have to send it to TBI. This is where the hold up takes place. I actually called the TBI and talked to a girl named holly when I was getting my paperwork done and she actually found mine and processed the paperwork that day.

If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to Tenn. Code Ann. §39-17-316 or 39-17-1307(:D, 18 U.S.C. 9 (g) or any other state or federal law and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements, the Department of Safety shall issue a permit to the applicant.

Well I would hound the crap out of them. It amazing the stupid things we do in college and never think about the consequences. I got busted with a dude and charged with a civil offense of drug paraphanelia. I had a pack of rolling papers and for busted for public intoxication as well in gatlinburg when I was 21. This was 13 years ago and it made my criminal justice degree pretty much useless. I don't think I can get a job in law enforcement because of this.

All though I have never tried.

Guest FastLane1000

Well better than just denying the HCP. I plan on calling the TBI tomorrow to see if the charge has been expunged from their record yet and sending a follow up e-mail

Guest FastLane1000

Yeah it seems like you did. I'm surprised it was received so well. i don't want to piss anyone off. But I do think they have had enough time and the charge is over 10 years old. I see how the labeling of the charge "Criminal Impersonation" might raise questions. but the disposition and expungement should be plenty.

Guest FastLane1000

I called the TBI and spoke with Holly in expungement. She said they were still working on orders from September but would go ahead and expunge mine if i would fax her copies of the order. Well i mistakenly mailed those to the permit office and did not keep copies for myself. So i e-mailed Lisa Knight again and asked if they would fax over the expungement order for me and move this process a long. we will see

I called the TBI and spoke with Holly in expungement. She said they were still working on orders from September but would go ahead and expunge mine if i would fax her copies of the order. Well i mistakenly mailed those to the permit office and did not keep copies for myself. So i e-mailed Lisa Knight again and asked if they would fax over the expungement order for me and move this process a long. we will see

See,

I told you that talking to holly would get crap done. To bad that you didnt keep a copy for yourself. Go back down to the court house and get another copy and fax that in is what I would do. Dont rely on lisa knight cuz it wont get done.

Guest FastLane1000

the courthouse doesn't have a copy anymore cause they have expunged it from their records already. I don't even think the expungement is neccessary since the charge is 10 years old and not serious enough.

Edited by FastLane1000
more info
the courthouse doesn't have a copy anymore cause they have expunged it from their records already. I don't even think the expungement is neccessary since the charge is 10 years old and not serious enough.

That is what they told me to. But when I pressed em they found em in a filing cabinet.

Guest FastLane1000

Well surprise surprise. Holly called me today and said she received a fax and had some questions about it. I missed her call but I will be talking to her in the morning

Guest FastLane1000

I spoke with Holly Friday morning and she was even gonna call the lady that handles expungements here in Knoxville while she awaits a return call from Lisa Knight. This Lady is following through. Kudos to her. I may have to send her a Valentine. We'll see where we are at Monday

Guest afriqueart

I got mine in about 2 months. Wifes didn't arrive within a week of mine. I emailed Lisa. Wifes paperwork was lost. I emailed the yellow copy and Lisa called to tell me that everything is in order and the permit should be here in a couple of weeks.

I Won,t go into the whole story but in 2006 when i applied for my tn. permit i already had a Nevada and Utah permit . Tn. denied my application for a very miner incident that happened in 1962 I was 17 years old. That is 44 years! The record was supposed to be expunged in 2006.

I purchased a Ruger in October of 2009 and they denied me. I had to fax all the info. again to Lisa Knight and was approved.

I did get my Tn. permit back in 2006 after a lot paperwork.

The records are never gone even after 47 YEARS.

UPDATE 3/16/2010

Notified by F.B.I that my record is now clean!

Edited by J.D.D