flying a flag high???

Guest proudsuthrner

Guest proudsuthrner

down the road from where i am living is a house with a flag pole in the front yard. it does have the us flag up high. the problem i have with it is that its ripped and torn and in my opinion, disrespectful to have it flying high in such poor conditions. i have actually thought about buying another flag and setting it on their porch with a note asking them to replace the current one they have. everyday i drive by and it just irritates the crap out of me and my father, for we both veterans. i mean, if you are going to have a flag flying, it should be in good shape. maybe its only me that feels this way, but i just wanted to share. if anyone has an opinion about this, please feel free to share. thanks for listening

Edited by proudsuthrner
miswrote the title
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

Quietly do just what you suggested....perhaps these fine folk don't have the funds to go to a WalMart and get a replacement. Thank them for proudly displaying the National Ensign

Guest Drewsett
They may have a reason for it, like that father who was given so much grief even though he promised his son (soldier in Afghanistan, iirc) he'd fly that specific flag until his return home...

This touches my heart and I would apologize for my intrusion and wish his son well if your neighbors are doing this...

However my money is on that they either haven't noticed, don't care, or can't afford to replace it. I HAVE stopped by and given people flags to replace their tattered ones before and offered to change it out. The one who let me was appreciative...the other one just took the flag and mumbled something about doing it later. He did put up the new one in a few days.

I hinted that if you take the flag down at night or before high wind conditions and stormy weather that you can extend its life considerably. I don't live there anymore so I don't know if they listened.

Guest redbarron06
why don'tcha buy the new flag and stop by with it.

Offer to change it out for them. They might appreciate it.

I would defninatly check before changing one out. The flag on my house flew every day I was deployed. I changed it out proptly when I got back. I was weathered and torn much like me but it was still there.

I went to WalMart @ Harding Pl and Nolensville Rd in Nashville about a year ago. On the way in I noticed that their flag was tattered and torn. I went to Customer Service and asked to see a Manager and told him of the condition of their flag and that was extremely disrespectful. He said that he would take care of it and apologized.

I went back to get a Gal. of milk and left. He had already had them change the flag.

+1 for that manager!

Guest That Guy

I completely understand, as it bothers the helloutta me, too. Maybe the poor folks are just that; poor. I would opt to buy 'em a new one. You can find reasonable ones cheap. It is a polite way to say, "Wake-Up Numb-Nuts!"

Of course, you could always pull a Jim Broussard on 'em!

Love this:

Guest gunslinger707

I'm of the old school it pizzes the h*** out of me to see a torn flag flying or see one flying in the rain or at night lighted or not.

I was taught the flag come's DOWN at night and when it's raining if it's

torn it remain's down untill it can be replaced with a new one.

and if it fall's on the ground it's to be burned in place. BUT that's just me an old vet.ranting!:up::usa:;)

Guest jackdm3

I watched That Guy's video and saw the related videos. Too many to post them here, but then I saw "Wal-Mart flies the Mexican flag in Memphis, TN!!!!!"

Big time false alarm. It's three 3x5 flags hanging in the Mexican food aisles. It was funny to see the guy trying to be sneeky with a camera as if anybody cared.

I know the flag means allot to people,myself included, but if someone I've never meet knocks on my door to tell me something is ugly and needs to be changed, they're gonna find my foot in their ass.

I'd opt for a friendly knock to introduce yourselves, and work into the conversation that you've got an extra flag laying around that you're not using....

My first reaction is that thanks for having the sense of patriotism to fly the flag in the first place. As you may recall, there was a lot of flag flying and flags on vehicles after 9/11 but look where we are now. When is the last time you saw one on a vehicle?

I fly a 5X8 flag in front of my house 24/365 and I light it at night because I understand the protocols. My guess is that these folks do not understand all the flag flying protocols. I recently bought a replacement flag for my sister-in-law who cannot be more of a patriot but with her income and being so busy, I felt she just did not take real notice. I recommend that you find a a relatively inexpensive 3x5 embroidered flag and present it to the homeowner and thank him/her for their patrioism.

Moderator, please transfer this response to the thread "flying a flag torn high???"

Edited by ljc3
They may have a reason for it, like that father who was given so much grief even though he promised his son (soldier in Afghanistan, iirc) he'd fly that specific flag until his return home...

Similar situation occurred in North Alabama around Memorial Day last year.

A National Guard Sargent saw the flag below and decided to replace it.

47117989-25145939-300225.jpg

The flag was raised by a woman's son that was being deployed to Iraq and they promised to fly it until return safely home. The Sargent has apologized for replacing the flag without permission. He was facing charges but I don't know if anything was ever pursued.

At the time, they raised a second flag pole and were flying both flags as shown below.

47202338.jpg

Here are links if you want the full story:

Lawrence County Sheriff Investigates Tattered Flag Removal - WHNT

Lawrence County Woman Now Has New U.S. Flag - WHNT

New Flag, Next to Old One - WHNT

I fly a 5X8 flag in front of my house 24/365 and I light it at night because I understand the protocols. My guess is that these folks do not understand all the flag flying protocols.

I have the same set up in front of my house. If my flag ever becomes tattered, I will mend it myself if possible or replace it and properly dispose of the flag.

I would do what many others here suggested. Politely speak to them about it and even purchase a new one for them if its a matter of money. Too many people take the flag for granted and don't understand what sacrifice is made so that we can fly our flag.

why don'tcha buy the new flag and stop by with it.

Offer to change it out for them. They might appreciate it.

There's the answer. That's exactly what I would do. You never know, it could be a elderly person who is unable to do it for themselves. Don't you dare take a dime of repayment for the cost of the flag. :D

Plain and simple - purchase a new flag and leave it on the front porch with a note from "a friend" stating that you had noticed the flag was tattered and torn and needed to be replaced and though you would do your part to share in their patriotism.

Flying the flag at night is not against protocol as long as it is properly lit.

As you may recall, there was a lot of flag flying and flags on vehicles after 9/11 but look where we are now. When is the last time you saw one on a vehicle?

I have had a flag on my vehicle since the day after 9/11, and it is still there, and it will remain there.

I am surprised that the NFL still has the little flag emblems on the back of players helmets. Those only appeared some time after 9/11 (in 2002 I believe). I had expected to see those quietly disappear in the past year or so, but am very glad to still see them there and hope that they stay.

I agree I have a cousin in Iraq, he gave me a 2 flags before he left and asked if I would fly them until he returns. That was over two years ago and the flags havent came down yet so you can imagine the way they look, but out of respect for him they will continue to fly.

I fly a flag on the front of my house and installed a flood light so that it will be illuminated at night. I saw a few posts back that they are not supposed to be displayed in the rain. I wasn't aware of that. Can someone advise me on the proper rule(s) regarding weather? Thanks in advance.

I fly a flag on the front of my house and installed a flood light so that it will be illuminated at night. I saw a few posts back that they are not supposed to be displayed in the rain. I wasn't aware of that. Can someone advise me on the proper rule(s) regarding weather? Thanks in advance.

The military conducts colors (morning raising and sunset lowering) no matter what the weather is. I have my flag illuminated as well and the only time I take mine down is due to very high winds. My flag and pole are rated for over 80mph winds, I just don't want to take the chance of either getting damaged.

Hope this helps