No frills, reliable 1911s?

Guest PatriotCSA

Guest PatriotCSA

I'm looking to get a sidearm in the next couple months. The majority of my closest gun carrying friends highly recommend a 1911. I've had a few other suggestions for .45acp weapons so I've had a good mix, but among 1911s, the selection is nearly infinite. I'm just a poor Southern boy and can't afford a Wilson Combat, Kimber, Ed Brown, etc. And to be honest, I don't care that much either at this point in my life. If I bought one and it ever gets stolen, however unlikely that may be, I don't want 2-3k worth of a firearm lost.

Basically, I just want a 1911 that is very reliable with the proper maintenance, which I'm quite willing to take the time to do. I have heard of examples such as Rock Island Arms being affordable but reliable 1911s. My budget is around $500-600. I know this limits things, but it's what I can do. Also, I would prefer to steer away from compacts. I want the "original feel" of a standard size 1911.

Living in Memphis comes with hazards as a lot of y'all know and I've gone a long time being unarmed. Plenty of times I wish I had had some reassurance. And fwiw, I have nothing against the high end 1911s. My best gun buddy and co-worker has two Kimbers and they are fantastic pieces. I just personally could never ever hope to afford them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood
I have a Springfield Armory GI 45 that seems to fit what your looking for. I love mine, its my daily carry and works flawlessly.

PW9108LP-1.jpg

I was gonna say I have a Springfield Armory GI .45 and it's a great shooter and reliable, but someone beat me to it.

I personally like Glocks :tough: but a 1911 is a good choice as a starter cause like a Glock you can't kick a rock without a mag or holster falling out of it for a Glock and a 1911.

^^^ By that I mean you can get mags and holsters at even the most sparcely stocked gunstore.

It's VERY irritating when you get your 1st carry gun and can't find a holster or mag for it without ordering it, I even have had a couple of guns you couldn't order the simplest stuff for. 1911 parts and pieces are falling off trees almost literally.

Oh yeah, Springfield Armory GI 1911 is good stuff, not pricey and you can order tons of upgrades.

After you get the 1911 you may decide you "need" more 1911's or maybe something smaller. Then who cares what you get because you have a decent, reliable carry gun and can get something more exotic, or hot on the market. (Some of the hot stuff is impossible to get holster and mags for while it's going through the "hot" phase.

Edited by mikedwood

I have a Taurus PT1911 that feels and shoots really well for the price. Taurus builds a lot of 'aftermarket' features into the gun at the factory, so for not a lot of money you get a really good pistol.

(I also have a Kimber, so I can make the comparison.)

Guest Drewsett

Belleshire Hardware store in Nashville sells under the name Belleshire Guns on Gunbroker. They have Citadel and RIA 1911's for 399 if I remember correctly. Don't know if you can get that price in store, but they have several auctions pretty much all the time

SA GI. Got mine for $500 here on Long Island, NY. You can work on it if you feel the need. It's a forged frame and slide, a solid 1911, and will serve you well. May need some tweaking to get it up and running. Mine did (changed sights, and extractor, and added an 18.5 Wolf recoil spring).

+1 Bellshire Hardware on Dickerson, think a RIA Tactical for about $450 will make you happy.

If you can go to the top end of your budget you might want to find an STI Spartan for around $600, you may never find a better shooting 1911 no matter what you spend.

Gotta disagree with the SA GI suggestions, those little sights are more tradition than function and since you can't upgrade 'em you're stuck with 'em. Good sights are important.

I'm just a poor Southern boy and can't afford a Wilson Combat, Kimber, Ed Brown, etc.

Basically, I just want a 1911 that is very reliable with the proper maintenance

1st off, good call on carrying in Memphis...can't imagine living there and going unarmed :drama:

as far as your 1911 question goes: I'm awaiting the arrival of my 1st 1911 as we speak. I ended up choosing a Dan Wesson CCO. why? because word is that Dan Wesson is almost as good as custom, w/out the crazy pricetag. and the examples I've seen have seemed to support this...

DW uses a ton of Ed Brown parts, and has more hand fitting than most production guns. for all practical purposes, you could almost consider it a low budget Ed Brown. my CCO is one of only 200 that were produced last year...but cost 1/2 as much as an Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, etc...

do some reading around, and you won't find much bad press on Dan Wesson 1911's...almost everyone who has one seems to be very happy with it. based on the guns I've handled, I'd say go Dan Wesson over Kimber any day...way more gun for the $$$.

or, if DW is out of your price range...I'd vote you pick up a Springfield GI or Milspec, or a basic Colt Government model, and have it customized over time as the money becomes available.

Springfield 1911's have an excellent reputation for reliability/quality. many custom smiths recommend Springfields or Colts as base pistols for custom work. get the base model, find a reputable smith, and build your dream gun as you can afford to do it. just my :screwy:

Guest PatriotCSA
Last time I was @ Arms Fair on Trinity they had a RIA Compact for $475. You should go check it out and buy it before I get myself in trouble with the boss (again).

You sure your boss and mine haven't coordinated?

I know that the SA GI45 doesn't have a firing pin safety. Are there any of the low end 1911s equipped with them that you all have listed?

IMHO, a firing pin safety on a 1911 (i.e. Series 80) is overrated. Makes for a more complicated detail strip as well.

Guest peacexxl

looking at the PT1911 myself. actually more than looking, I plan on getting one within the next month. It is in the price range but you asked for no frills. this thing is lousy with'em. check Gun's and Ammo on Summer or in Southaven on Goodman. They usually carry a few. Fondle the Taurus and see if you don't love it for the price. Plus the cash price at G and A is great, as in 9.25% off the final price.