45/410 Revolvers

railfancwb

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest smileyguy
Does anyone know where to get ballistic gel,I will show you what 3" 000 buck can do compared to a .40 cal

Just line up some water jugs. Its not exact, neither is ballistic gelatin, but it will give you an idea of relative penetration.

If memory serves me correctly the Judge was never marketed as a CCW .It was specifically designed for defense in a car jacking type situation 3-5 feet where it does the most damage. it places most of the "bird shot" in a torso sized target at its best velocity (close proximity to the muzzle) .I would never carry such a weapon as my CCW you never know at what range your assailant might be and I don't think the BG in question will pause while you change the ammo in the cylinder from .410 to .45lc and to be honest I dont want to have to wait until the BG gets into effective range .

So ill stick with JHP in my personal defense weapon.

or 00 buck in the 12ga.

I guess that's the problem most people think you have to use "Bird Shot".

Try five .40 cal led balls at 7 to 10 yards not feet. I too choose to carry jhp's in my HK but would not under estimate the judge.I promise you if a BG points a judge at you at 10 yards your done if he pulls first.

Guest BJEC1248

my brother has a Judge with the 6" barrel, he bought it just for fun as a novelty. I have shot it, but not with the buckshot. it is pretty accurate with the 45LCs. he says that at super-short ranges, the buckshot would more than do the job, but beyond that, not so much.

Guest RangeMstr

The Judge is just one of many off the wall firearms that make me wonder WTF the designers were thinking. Really, is there anything you can do with a "Judge" that you can't do with a well placed shot from anything 9mm and up?

Come on now....

The Judge is just one of many off the wall firearms that make me wonder WTF the designers were thinking. Really, is there anything you can do with a "Judge" that you can't do with a well placed shot from anything 9mm and up?

Come on now....

Yes,

You cant put 5 of them well placed with 1 pull of the trigger

Guest RangeMstr
Yes,

You cant put 5 of them well placed with 1 pull of the trigger

This is where I point out that a single well placed 45ACP, 40S&W, or 9MM with a decent projectile will neutralize a threat just as effectively as a shotgun blast out of a Judge.

I for one would rather sit in front of a shooting board justifying a single or perhaps double tap as opposed to the prosecutor dropping a miniature shotgun on the table and trying to justify that. If you are a civilian insert "Grand Jury" in place of "Shooting Board".

Private citizen CCW's have to overcome the media and public opinion that you are nothing but wild-west wanna be's. You don't do that by walking around with a shotgun in a pistol holster. We in law enforcement fully support armed citizens, but you gotta help yourselves out too.

If you want to effectively neutralize any threat quickly, simply do this;

1. Pick a pistol or revolver you really like and can shoot well.

2. Pick a holster that suits your CCW environment and you can draw from easily

3. Get trained.

4. Practice on the range - A LOT - 200-300 rounds per month minimum.

5. Carry the same weapon in the same holster on the same side of your body everyday. When you go to the range or the movies. It's the only way to develop reliable muscle memory.

Edited by RangeMstr
typo
Seems impractical to me for anything other than maybe a nightstand gun.

.410 is useless as a defensive round. .45 Colt is good, but I think there are better options.

My favorite nightstand gun, if I feel that I need to spew buckshot, is my 870.

Nothing against the folks that chose the Judge, but I'll never own one. I own a bunch of effective handguns, and simply woudn't shoot the Judge enough to get good with it, or wear baggy enough stuff to hide it.

I take my 4 in Judge with me for snakes when I walk around the property because my Glock 27 does not have a good spread for the Copperheads. My 870 is a little bulky for my backpack and does not fit into my holster.

This seems like the best use to me. Would be a great snake gun. I shot cjr's last week and on paper the buckshot really did some damage. I'd like to see a slow motion vid of it hitting ballistics gel to see what kind of cavity it opens up. The box-o-truth shows limited penetration so it seems the rough equivilant would be 5 shots of 380 ball. One well designed hollow point should have much more penetration and cause a larger wound cavity.

But for snakes, I'm not sure there's a better pistol.

Just my thought.

If memory serves me correctly the Judge was never marketed as a CCW .It was specifically designed for defense in a car jacking type situation 3-5 feet where it does the most damage. it places most of the "bird shot" in a torso sized target at its best velocity (close proximity to the muzzle) .I would never carry such a weapon as my CCW you never know at what range your assailant might be and I don't think the BG in question will pause while you change the ammo in the cylinder from .410 to .45lc and to be honest I dont want to have to wait until the BG gets into effective range .

So ill stick with JHP in my personal defense weapon.

or 00 buck in the 12ga.

About the only practical situation I can see for keeping a Judge for self defense is an apartment gun when you don't want your .357 or 12 ga. load going through your neighbors wall, and the distance will surely be at close range. I wouldn't even load it with buck, I know it would be less than lethal but I do believe it's much better than a bat or knife and you wont kill your neighbor. Even 5 shots of .410 #6 from a short barrel at 10 or less feet has got to screw up bad guys day.