Springfield xd40 question

Guest Andyxd

Just wanted to ask the experts here if the xd40 is just as good as the xd9? I have a chance to buy and xd 40, about 60 rounds thru it for $475 total +- a few from a friend of mine. It is practically brand new and was wanting to hear your opinions about the price and the gun. It comes with all the xd gear also. Thanks for your replies.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote Patrick Swayze in Road House... "Opinions vary". However I don't think you'll go wrong with an xd. I have 3 xd guns in 9/40/357sig and am looking to get a 45.

I find them to be accurate, easy to hold and shoot, and easy to maintain. Prices also vary on them. A few months back, in the shops and shows it seemed prices were higher than now. If you find a price you like on a caliber and size you like...get it. Probably the only complaints you'll find on xd guns will be from the glock shooters.

And that doesn't bother me... I own a glock 22 and find it to be virtually the same in all respect as the 40 xd.

:D

All of the XD's are great pistols. Here is a picture of one of my old ones and a picture of the target the first magazine through it (12 yards out).

photo.jpg

photo9.jpg

Accurate, reliable, comfortable guns. You cannot go wrong with an XD. 475 isnt too terrible if you want to help your friend out but I would be looking more between 400 and 450.

The mag loader mine came with wouldn't fit onto the mags. Too tight. I prefer the UPLula. Works like a charm.

First time I've heard THAT.

The common flaw is that you have to manually pull the dang thing back up each time to load the next round, it doesn't spring up and open.

Hence my owning a UPLula also.

- OS

There are other fees when buying from a store....just saying. Still probably a little high, I would go a little - with him.

I used the loader and the mag holder at times. The holster is junk for actual on the body use, but I've heard of people mounting it to their consoles in their trucks/cars for those that don't like to carry it on their body while driving.

Just wanted to ask the experts here if the xd40 is just as good as the xd9? I have a chance to buy and xd 40, about 60 rounds thru it for $475 total +- a few from a friend of mine. It is practically brand new and was wanting to hear your opinions about the price and the gun. It comes with all the xd gear also. Thanks for your replies.

I carry an XD40 almost every day. my Dad has the XD9, and I've shot it extensively as well...

as others have already said, any XD is good to go for carry...I'd be shocked if you experienced any problems with it.

2 things:

1) don't pay him more than $400 for a used XD.

2) after shooting both extensively, if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the XD9 over the 40.

the XD9 is much easier/faster for me to shoot well/accurately, especially at distance. (and no, I'm not one of the .40 hating weiners :drama: ...I can handle the recoil of a .40 just fine...but I can honestly tell you that the .40 in my XD has more snap than other .40's I own/have shot.)

I picked the XD40 because I was familiar with the cartridge, and am a believer in big, fat bullets for defense. but I just shoot the XD9 much better, and given the choice, I'll take speed & accuracy over a moderately larger bullet any day.

also, the mags fit tight in my XD40 (and also in the XDm 40 i used to have)

when fully loaded...very tough to drop a loaded mag, should the need arise. also, a bit tough to seat a fully loaded mag. this is not the case with my Dad's XD9...the mags fit/release like a glove. I'd be willing to bet the XD service was designed around the 9mm cartridge, with the .40 just being added as an option. the gun just seems to be perfectly suited to 9mm, but that's just my :screwy:

For that price id be all over it like flies on crap. I own one and love it. 40 is my prefered caliber.

Probably the only complaints you'll find on xd guns will be from the glock shooters.

And that doesn't bother me... I own a glock 22 and find it to be virtually the same in all respect as the 40 xd.

;)

And if any of the Glock shooters owned an XD so they could really start to notice the small differences they wouldn't be complaining at all. I too have a Glock 22 in .40, but my XD is a .45. Calibers aside, the XD is just a much better feeling handgun. The action is much smoother, and the grip just feels alot better to me. Although I did fondle a Glock 22 Gen4 the other day and there is a huge difference between it and the one I have.

On the original question, I would take a .40 over a 9mm any day, and the XD's are great. Price is a little high, but not really too far off especially if you know the history of the pistol. And yeah, the XD gear isn't much of an added bonus. Mine never comes out of the case.

I carry an XD40 almost every day. my Dad has the XD9, and I've shot it extensively as well...

as others have already said, any XD is good to go for carry...I'd be shocked if you experienced any problems with it.

2 things:

1) don't pay him more than $400 for a used XD.

2) after shooting both extensively, if I had it to do over again, I'd go with the XD9 over the 40.

the XD9 is much easier/faster for me to shoot well/accurately, especially at distance. (and no, I'm not one of the .40 hating weiners :screwy: ...I can handle the recoil of a .40 just fine...but I can honestly tell you that the .40 in my XD has more snap than other .40's I own/have shot.)

I picked the XD40 because I was familiar with the cartridge, and am a believer in big, fat bullets for defense. but I just shoot the XD9 much better, and given the choice, I'll take speed & accuracy over a moderately larger bullet any day.

also, the mags fit tight in my XD40 (and also in the XDm 40 i used to have)

when fully loaded...very tough to drop a loaded mag, should the need arise. also, a bit tough to seat a fully loaded mag. this is not the case with my Dad's XD9...the mags fit/release like a glove. I'd be willing to bet the XD service was designed around the 9mm cartridge, with the .40 just being added as an option. the gun just seems to be perfectly suited to 9mm, but that's just my ;)

Mine is in the repair shop because of that fact. Seems the newer models had that problem (with the mag release). It is a known issue with Springfield and they are fixing it under warranty free of charge and while there it is getting tricked out at the custom shop.

Mine is in the repair shop because of that fact. Seems the newer models had that problem (with the mag release). It is a known issue with Springfield and they are fixing it under warranty free of charge and while there it is getting tricked out at the custom shop.

Hmm, I have never had that problem with my XD40, mine is an older model. It was tight, still is (eased up a bit), but not anything that causes a problem with one finger can't handle.

The getting the last round in issue on the new mags, that is why I used the speed loader. In a class, loading 500 rounds in, man your fingers would be bleeding. Mine will stay down sometimes too, but I have just pulled it up without much more effort.

Mine would lock plum up until I ejected the round from the chamber

Wow. I haven't been reading up on XD's as much anymore, do to mine working flawlessly. Sounds like the engineers, quality control, or whomever messed up a good thing when they made those "adjustments".

Wow. I haven't been reading up on XD's as much anymore, do to mine working flawlessly. Sounds like the engineers, quality control, or whomever messed up a good thing when they made those "adjustments".

Damned croatians NIB pistol and it has problems. Go figure. At least Springfield is making it right while they "trick it out"

$475 is on the high end that I'd pay for a standard XD... but that's a good deal on an XDm.

I've owned every configuration and nearly every available caliber XD, and they all were flawless shooters. The 40 is just as good as the 9mm... just depends on your preference of caliber over magazine capacity.