Carry Permit Course of Fire?

My little brother is taking the course to get his carry permit next saturday and he wants to go to the range to practice today. I already have my permit, but don't remember the exact course of fire that they used for us to qualify. Does anyone here know the state requirements, or specifically, what you shoot at Rangemaster?

Thanks

J

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Most courses are 50 rounds... and shoot from varying distances of 3, 7, and 15 yards in full light, with a minimum passing score of 70%. Each student provides their own handgun (or rental where applicable), 50 rounds of ammo, and at least 2 magazines or speed loaders.

Not sure on RangeMaster's specifics, but if he practices from the above distances there shouldn't be any problem. Hope that helps. :)

Thanks guys! I keep telling him that it's nearly impossible to fail the course if you've ever looked at a gun before (I scored 100% and still didn't shoot great) but he understandably still wants to practice today to make sure. I don't mind one bit, any excuse to go to the range is ok with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot the following course. 18 rounds at three yards, 18 rounds at seven yards, and 12 rounds at 15 yards. The obligatory DOS course is 12 at each yardage, with 12 shots to be fired at a range of from 2-25 yards to be determined by the school.

I don't want a moderately trained student to be eager to take shots over 25 feet or so under stress. Missing the intended target and striking an uninvolved bystander is very easy for a shooter with a moderate skill level to do. Even trained and experienced law enforcement miss many shots from 25 feet or less!!!

Practice is good regardless. I personally like 8" Shoot'N'C targets at 10yd for trigger control practice, it's close enough to be within the capabilities of any shooter to hit repeatably, and far enough away for problems to be evident. The problem with introducing a new shooter to the finer points of accuracy using a large silhouette target is that they generally focus on the large target instead of ingraining the principle of 'aim small, miss small' on a smaller point of focus.

Guest BigBoostDSM

Mine was

10 @ 3 yards

10 @ 7 yards

10 @ 15 yards

10 rapid fire @ 3 yards

10 rapid fire @ 7 yards

Rapid fire was however fast you were comfortable shooting. Used the B-27 target, had to hit within the largest ring for the shot to count. Pretty easy actually. 2 of the people in my class had never shot before and they still passed with flying colors.