23 Jan Multi handgun functions tests

graycrait

I arrived at the Montgomery County Shooting Complex early enough that I could rapidly conduct functions tests on more than a couple of handguns today at my pace.

1. First time firining: The "used" (but never been fired as far as I could tell when I replaced the stock trigger with a longer reach trigger and lapped the rails) Springfield Armory 1911A1 .45ACP went through 4 mags of 230 grain ball, one of them a Wilson Combat 10 rounder, without a hiccup. Nearly the best gun deal I have ever come across. Gun purchased at TN Gun Country, Clarksville, TN.

2. First time firining: The Brink's nearly unfired S&W 64-6 DAO .38 Special. I fired two types of handload and 158 grain factory ammo with no problems even after installing llighter hammer and rebound block springs. This is a superb functioning S&W revolver. In the world of revolvers, and I have action tuned many (including Dan Wesson, many S&Ws, several Ruger DA revolvers, Taurus), this is my all time favorite. Lock time and synchronization of hammer with trigger works well for me. Gun purchased at Academy of Self Protection, Joelton, TN - another good gun deal.

3. First time firining: The Beretta Bobcat .22LR. That thing runs like a sewing machine, easy to control too. I am glad I drove to Nashville to trade a scope for this pistol.

4. Second time firiing: Keltec P32 Hardchrome .32 ACP. I picked up one of these for my wife and on our initial range trip we found that the magazine release was sticky and mags would fall out by themselves while shooting. I dismantled the gun and smoothed out the release and the mag release opening - learned how these things are put together in the process. There is one pin you shouldn't take out - why would I know that? After some very helpful cussing while I was reassembling this Keltec, it runs well now. I've been carrying its twin for several years without a failure with any ammo. Purchased at TN Gun Country, Clarksville, TN.

5. First time firining: A co-worker of mine had me do a stipple job on her early Gen 2 Glock 17 9mm, then when she fired it she said it routinely stove piped. I took the gun to the range, ran over 60 rds of at least 5 different types of ammo from Winchester NATO 124 grain, Russian steel case, Magtech, UMC and some others. It ate them all. I then loaded up a 31 round Glock "Happy Stick" magazine with 4 different types of ammo and shot the 17 as fast as I could with no malfunction. I'm thinking this gal is limp wristing. For fun I installed a set of Truglo TFOs I had gathering dust in my Glock parts box. I hope she likes it.

6. Breaking In: Still trying to break in the Austrian Arms ISSC M22 .22LR pistol that looks like a blend of Glock and Walther P22. I think this pistol will eventually be the .22 handgun that always goes with me to the range. Lots to like about this pistol, but I think it needs to be shot a lot to get it broken in. It runs CCI Mini Mags well but I want it to reliably shoot cheaper bulk ammo. Gun ordered through TN Gun Country, Clarksville, TN.

23Jan2010HandgunFunctionTest.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of my friends up at TN Gun Country are Sig nuts. Tac Fives and everything. I would love to shoot a 210. Fortunately one of them has returned to the Glock fold, at least temporarily for USPA competition.

I admire Sigs, but can't appreciate them. One of my ex-Army shooting buddies is finishing up at the FBI Academy, after having been a handgun instructor at his PD force up in IL. He liked his Sig 220 and said that at speed 1" groups at 25 meters with the 220 were possible, while he says he shoots his G19 double that.

Regardless of the good gunners I know I am not disciplined, nor have the time or money for good coaching to teach myself to appreciate the Sig platform. Therefore Glocks are good enough for me and my preferred "save your a.." handgun.

I was talking to a gunner today about 1911s and my latest "inexpensive" green one. He said to me, "I can't shoot what a Les Baer is capable of so why would I want one except for vanity?" I agreed. This sort of sums up my feeling for Sigs. Great gun, but I am will continue to be a run of the mill shooter - at least in my own mind. My G19 pictured. It is ugly but it works. G19Xtrme.jpg

How's that M22? looked at one , think'n it might be a good "glock" type 22. platform. Reliability? Durability? DAO or SA/DA? Better buy than a 22 conversion kit? Sorry for all the questions, just never met anyone who owns one.:)

Edited by Ae-35
spelling

I've had 3 AA conversions and have one for my G17. I like them. I have shot a lot of .22 pistols and revolvers and like many. If you buy a M22 and don't think it has potential to break it in and figure out its favorite ammo I will buy it from you at a fair market price.

The M22 is IMHO the perfect blend of size and weight. My favorite .22 pistol is the S&W 422 6", there is just something about that pistol that works for me. However, I like the balance of the M22 better. I can tune a Ruger MK series and hand-fit a Marvel trigger like no one I know, have shot all the usual suspects in the bullseye world and for no good reason took apart a Sig Mosquito (waste of money in my mind). Among the plinker guns I would put the S&W 422 6" at the top and the M22 next. Rugers, S&W 22As, Buckmarks and others are fun and work really good too for plinkers. The S&W 22a is, in my opinion, way under rated in the plinker wars.

I plan on grinding off the grip M22's finger humps, radiusing up the trigger guard/grip juncture, stippling the grip 360 degrees and keep on shooting this thing.

Craig in Clarksville, TN