M76 - What Factory Ammo Is Like The M75 Sniper Ammo?

GS455

Hello folks. New to this forum. Thought I'd try and seek out a little local advice. I had problems with a 1st M76 Yugo and sent it back. I received the replacement and stuffed 5 mags with 1980s Romy and had only one FTE out of all 50 rds. Filled em all up again and had all varieties of FTF and one FTE that was so bad it ended the day. I had to buy a steel rod to tap the spent casing from the chamber. Gas setting was on #3

The BHO did not work with a couple of the mags so I am hoping I am not still dealing with mag-well / receiver-tolerance issues. Mags can be pushed up farther than the receiver will hold em.

I found about a hundred rounds of M75 but I want to save that for now. I have heaps of 1950s Yugo and 1980s Romy. I even have a batch of Turkish 8mm. None of these are great ammo (by the book). Age, charge quality, power, bullet weight and casings vary between them and I need to establish a base line before I decide if and what kind of problems this second rifle really has.

I would like a best recommendation for off the shelf factory ammo for conclusively testing the rifle as it was designed to fire. In other words what off-the-shelf ammo is most like the Yugo M75 sniper ammo? I believe that ammo with this rifle were specifically to be paired together in application – no?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prvi Partizan ammo is made in the same factory that produced the Yugoslavian M75 ammo. It has an excellent reputation for consistency and accuracy. Most is in 196gr SP, but I've seen some 196gr FMJ.

Also, you might try the FNM 8mm ammo. It's made in Portugal with a 196gr FMJ bullet. Also has an excellent reputation for accuracy. I have heard that recent production of this ammo is actually made by Prvi Partizan, but I don't know this is true. Both of these are brass-cased, Boxer-primed reloadable cartridges.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Why not just load your own? Buy a decent single stage press (if you don't already have a press) simple scales, set of dies, etc.....

It would be cheaper than to keep trying to source the actual Yugo sniper I.S. designation ammunition. You will need to buy some 8mm Mauser brass though as basically all 7.92X57 surplus will be berdan primed, and nearly all of that will be steel cased.

Actually I do have a lot of reloading gear accumulated and buddies to guide me. I just haven't found the time to set it all up on a bench and get going. I just wanna get a hundered or so rounds of "modern" M75 to test this rifle now. I emailed PRVI and their US Distributor to see if they have anything M75-ish ammo at retail.

Guest Paulie771

My M76 is shooting 1.5-2 MOA with 50's surplus off a pack. I'm trying to figure out a way to mount a swivel stud or 1913 rail to add a harris bipod (I shoot better off bipod than pack). I've read of people getting sub-MOA with handloaded match stuff.

Finding the M75 sniper is near impossible now.

Guest Paulie771

Holy crap, thanks GS. Liquidmetal and I have talked about doing this before. I can't believe I missed that post. I'm ordering one of these right now. Thanks for the heads up!