Current cost of reloading per round

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured .48 for the first load with nickel plated brass and .28 for followup loads in

.45 acp. That's using new brass, 230 grain golden saber, CCI LP and AA-5 powder.

9mm is .39 and .21 respectively, with 147 gs CCI SP and AA-5

There are cheaper bullets out there, but that's what I like.

Guest canebreaker

Lee ann. breech kit and 38 spl dies bought in 1991, $100.

Lee production pot, sizer and 357 6 cav. mold bought in 1992, $65.00.

Lyman 2 cav. mold bought in 1993, $35.00.

Last 8lb. jug of Bullseye, $121.50. 7000 grs. of powder per pound.

Last carton of primers, $30.69

Cost of reloading 5.10 to 6.00 per 100.

Guest forrestcav

yeah my cost is still sorta low, since i'm using primers that cost me &12.50/1000 and 8lb of unique was 36.00. Of course I bought the stuff then it sat in the dry for ten years. last batch of primers and bullets gave me aticker shock.

I too have considered starting to reload. Do most of the ranges allow you to rifle through the brass bucket? I've never reloaded, so I've never asked.

Don't try to pull brass out of the buckets at the Hobson Pike range! They are very protective of it. They say once it goes in the bucket, it belongs to them. I just ask the person next to me if I can have their brass before it goes in "their" bucket.

I too have considered starting to reload. Do most of the ranges allow you to rifle through the brass bucket? I've never reloaded, so I've never asked.

I know at Stones River where I shoot, I'll ask who's shooting close to me if they are saving brass, if not I'll pick it for them. I don't need anymore brass but do keep my own to reload again, and inspect it.

Guest canebreaker

I work at stones river. We seperate and tumble the brass. Bag it for sale, Kinda cheap compared to some places. Since we're out there for free, this pays for our meals while working.

Guest Catdaddy
Here is a link to a reloading calculator:

Reloading Cost Calculator Advanced Ver. 1.2

I just figured it up the other day with a buddy and I believe we came up with a little over half of Wal Mart Prices on WWB if you do not have to buy brass. I myself have not taken the plunge yet but I have been saving brass for a year or so now.

That's a shotshell calculator, and it didn't work for me- when I hit "calculate" it changed the numbers I input, instead of giving me an output. Here's a simplified version for pistol/rifle- doesn't figure in the cost of equipment, just the cartridge costs.

Handloading Cost Calculator

Here's the rifle version (works for pistol, too) that includes gear cost- and it works.

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Rifle_Reloading_Cost_Calculator.htm

Edited by Catdaddy

Here's what it costs me at today's prices:

.45 Auto lead(purchased, not home cast) plinking ammo using saved(free) brass- ~$7/100

.45 Auto Premium ammo using saved brass- ~$29/100

.223 Rem. jacketed plinking ammo using saved brass- ~$22/100

.223 Rem. premium target ammo using saved brass- ~$28/100

.308 Win. premium match ammo with new brass on every loading- ~$112/100

All of these prices exclude sales tax/shipping. That .308 price sounds high, but that's using brand new Lapua brass for every round. When you consider that good factory loaded match ammo is $150+/100 it's actually considerably cheaper. And I can load good .308 brass at least 5 times which cuts the total handloading cost to ~$56/100.

Edited by USMCJG