Best Coyote Handloads in .223 & .243?

Would some of you yote hunters that reload share some of the best loads for coyotes in Tennessee. I'm particularly interested in the best hand loads for the .223 and .243 caliber round. I'm considering getting into hand-loading for these calibers, and am interested in the specifics of the following:

1. Best brass... is Federal or Winchester from WM ok?

2. Best primers...

3. Best Powder... and recipe for a good stable round.

4. Best Bullets... Brand, weight,shape, and nose configuration.

The economy of doing this is a factor, as well as the accuracy of hand loads. Your opinions are appreciated. I'm really not interested in dangerous "hot" loads, just something better than factory loads. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

You say in TN? Where were you hunting them before?

And on a good load. I got nothing. Don't use either 223 or 243. Its always my experience with my guns that COAL is the greatest determine factor in accuracy for me. I like 40gr. V-max and varget in my 22-250AI.

Sorry, I use 12 guage 3" "T" shot. My hunting and business partner uses .308 or .17, depending on the mission. Bow is not out of the question either. I'm wanting to get me a rifle in .243...I'll sit back and watch this thread....

Guest Tn_River_Ratt

Each weapon has its "sweet spot" as far as accuracy goes. Just because a certain brass, powder, bullet combo works in one gun, it may very well not be as accurate in others. There are just too many variables to try and account for. Just my $.02 from 20 years reloading.

Each weapon has its "sweet spot" as far as accuracy goes. Just because a certain brass, powder, bullet combo works in one gun, it may very well not be as accurate in others. There are just too many variables to try and account for. Just my $.02 from 20 years reloading.

That's the neat thing about reloading. I've taken someones proven recipe for their gun and it would shoot lousy in mine. Change just some small thing like crimp or .10 of a grain on the powder and it suddenly works. You have to be willing to put the time and effort into it or you might as well shoot factory loads.

You say in TN? Where were you hunting them before?

And on a good load. I got nothing. Don't use either 223 or 243. Its always my experience with my guns that COAL is the greatest determine factor in accuracy for me. I like 40gr. V-max and varget in my 22-250AI.

Sorry Guntroll, I haven't been hunting them before. I'm just trying to get into hunting them, here in Tennessee. I figured the loads would be different than say if I were hunting them out west somewhere.

Thanks to others that have shared their "recipes" for coyote loads.