Tactical Optics Help

I have been thinking about buying a tactical sight for my DPMS AR15. Either a red dot or scope. I am familiar with and highly imppressed with the Trijicon Reflex sight and the Trijicon ACOG but don't want to spend $400 - $600 for a Reflex or $800 - $1000 for an ACOG.

I have seen on ebay a number of knock off ACOG's for around $150 but didn't know if they were :rolleyes:.

Anyone have any recommendations for a tactical sight that will work for me and not break my budget?

Edited by Retired Navy GMC
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to find a useful tactical optic that is durable for under $400. You best bet is to check eBay or private sellers for a Trijicon that has been barely used.

The ACOG knock-offs have a couple of major flaws; they break easily, have cloudy glass, and don't have the fiber-optic reticle illumination of the real thing.

I've broken more military-grade optics than most people ever see. Including at least four Leatherwood ARTs (the earlier ones did NOT like being on a .50), an ACOG, Leupolds, etc. Combat and training are VERY hard on equipment. There is a reason why this stuff is expensive, and that's because it's made to bet your life on.

By the time you've gone through 3-4 cheap scopes, you'll have spent the same as if you had bought the good equipment. Go ahead and save your pennies for good gear. It's worth it.

For a good general-purpose optic on an M4 or similar rifle, you absolutely cannot beat the ACOG.

Guest mustangdave

Chief...have you checked out USCAV.com or Brigade Quartermaster?...they have a decent selection of optics...I've bought a couple for my Mini14 thru USCAV...Barska's...yes inexpensive...but serve my needs perfectly

I love my ACOG by the way. :)

Rub it in.... Thanks

I used ACOG's for a number of years and loved them. But now that I am in the civilian world, I don't have the ability to go to the optics lockers and throw one on my rifle. (Damn I miss that!!!)

Guess I will be saving my pennies and getting either an ACOG, Reflex, or maybe an Eotech. Hopefully someone will be selling a slightly used on when I am ready to buy.;)

The Strikefire gets excellent reviews and has a lifetime no questions asked warranty. Great for everything short of the sandbox, but that's a whole nother world anyway. http://swfa.com/Vortex-StrikeFire-Red-Dot-Sights-C1462.aspx

sfrdar15.jpg

The Konus Pro Atomic (Aimpoint micro clone) also gets excellent reviews and you can get it under $100 from here. 7247K-KONUS RED DOT SIGHT PRO ATOMIC

7247K.jpg