Calling all NRA members....

Guest HexHead

Guest HexHead

In today's Tennessean, there was an article about the convention center probably getting approved by the Council in the next vote. They mentioned that they were already booking conventions starting in 2013. Then the article got disturbing.

They mentioned that the NRA is considering holding their 2015 convention here in Nashville.

As my wife and I are both Life Members of the NRA, I must insist you not hold any conventions in downtown Nashville. We have an anti-gun Mayor and Council. The council, with the mayor's blessing tried to stop the restaurant carry rule in Nashville by threatening to prohibit it in any establishment with a beer license until Metro Law Dept. told them they couldn't do it. We have anti-gun restauranteurs that succeeded in bringing a lawsuit to get the restaurant carry law overturned and many establishments in the downtown convention district posted.

The Nashville Tourist Board is fighting attempts to reinstate the restaurant carry law, saying that conventions were refusing to come to Nashville because we allowed "guns in bars".

You can also bet that the convention center will be posted.

It's ridiculous that the NRA would even consider rewarding this anti-gun city with a convention.

I urge all of you to do the same.

Edited by HexHead
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devils advocate, or a secondary view.

Something that crossed my mine.

What a better place to have the convention, to show support to the leaders that the NRA has an abundant amount of members, here locally, that vote, and support the NRA and that they could lose a lot of core voters if they continue their anti gun positions, send a message to the govt. that they might ought to listen a little more closely to those that don't hold the same views.

Just a thought. Right or wrong, just something that crossed my mind.

I've never been soooo torn on an issue like this. I'd love to have the convention here, but I also see the point in not wanting to support an anti-gun city and convention site. Very similar to my concerns about the SHOT Show venue, but I was told that I was a dumbass for questioning that.

Guest HexHead

Why should we reward Rayburn and his like-minded cronies with the business of tens of thousands of 2nd amendment supporters and gun enthusiasts? How much fun will they have in a downtown full of "no guns" signs? Nothing like being made to feel you're not welcome, just your money is.

Why should we reward Rayburn and his like-minded cronies with the business of tens of thousands of 2nd amendment supporters and gun enthusiasts? How much fun will they have in a downtown full of "no guns" signs? Nothing like being made to feel you're not welcome, just your money is.

..or thousands of 2nd amendment supporters at a venue that does support them, catering in food that does support them, not spending money at those places with those little no gun signs. At all entrance/exits, posted with all business in the surrounding area that don't support them, a mailing sent to these places telling them that we won't be spending any money at their establishments due to their posting and their governments anti gun support.:)

Huh, the reason I first became a member of the NRA stemmed from my attendance at the NRA convention hosted at the current Nashville Convention center back in 1993 or 1994.

If I had never attended that convention, I would never had had the experience of actually learning about the NRA from actual NRA members.

My previous view of the NRA up until that time had been fueled solely from misinformation provided by the anti-gun media.

My experience at that convention was the reason I actually became a member of the NRA. :)

..or thousands of 2nd amendment supporters at a venue that does support them, catering in food that does support them, not spending money at those places with those little no gun signs. At all entrance/exits, posted with all business in the surrounding area that don't support them, a mailing sent to these places telling them that we won't be spending any money at their establishments due to their posting and their governments anti gun support.:)

+1.

What better way to stick it in the face of Rayburn and his cronies. Support the ones that supported the cause, black ball the ones that didn't. When I say black ball, I mean exactly that, a list should be compiled stating which businesses to stay away from and provide that to the attendees. That includes any catering done at the convention.

+1.

What better way to stick it in the face of Rayburn and his cronies. Support the ones that supported the cause, black ball the ones that didn't. When I say black ball, I mean exactly that, a list should be compiled stating which businesses to stay away from and provide that to the attendees. That includes any catering done at the convention.

That is an excellent idea.

Black Balling anti gun business is an awesome idea. Not so much for the punishment, because that's awesome too, but for rewarding those business that support us.

The thought of a large group of NRA members walking up to an anti gun establishment, pulling out a list, and then walking away really floats my boat.

Guest Drewsett
The thought of a large group of NRA members walking up to an anti gun establishment, pulling out a list, and then walking away really floats my boat.

You could do one better...book some large party at one of Rayburn's restaurant...like 40-50 people, agree to whatever booking minimums he requires, and then cancel the last second before you have to pay a penalty. Do this 10 or 15 times, and each time when you cancel, tell them it's because you just "discovered" you couldn't carry guns in their establishment.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Mine too....:stick:...Much so....:eek:...The looks on the faces of the business owners would be Priceless...:)

And besides 2015?.....Is this not enough time to get rid of this Mayor and some of the council?

Clean house so to speak...?

I know that is easier said than done and I dont live over that way so I really dont know.???

I do think the benefits would be huge for the city and the state.

Guest HexHead
Huh, the reason I first became a member of the NRA stemmed from my attendance at the NRA convention hosted at the current Nashville Convention center back in 1993 or 1994.

Do you go to the conventions in any of the other cities? I went to the Louisville one in '08, and I'll be going to Charlotte in May and in Pittsburgh next year. But I WON'T go to one here in downtown Nashville as long as we can't carry in restaurants. And I doubt that will be fixed by 2015.

As long as Nashville (or TN for that matter) is on the path it's on, there's no ****ing way the premier pro-gun organization should be spending any money here. There's much more deserving cities.

Edited by HexHead
Guest HexHead
Mine too....:)...Much so....:D...The looks on the faces of the business owners would be Priceless...:D

And besides 2015?.....Is this not enough time to get rid of this Mayor and some of the council?

Clean house so to speak...?

I know that is easier said than done and I dont live over that way so I really dont know.???

I do think the benefits would be huge for the city and the state.

The way the Tennessean keeps giving him a journalistic BJ at every opportunity with their slobbering love affair for him, I'm sure Rayburn will be the next Mayor after Dean.

Guest HexHead
..or thousands of 2nd amendment supporters at a venue that does support them, catering in food that does support them, not spending money at those places with those little no gun signs. At all entrance/exits, posted with all business in the surrounding area that don't support them, a mailing sent to these places telling them that we won't be spending any money at their establishments due to their posting and their governments anti gun support.:D

Wanna bet the convention center will be posted? They'll be serving alcohol there.

Guest HexHead
You could do one better...book some large party at one of Rayburn's restaurant...like 40-50 people, agree to whatever booking minimums he requires, and then cancel the last second before you have to pay a penalty. Do this 10 or 15 times, and each time when you cancel, tell them it's because you just "discovered" you couldn't carry guns in their establishment.

That's not going to happen, or else we'd already be doing that on a regular basis now, wouldn't we?

Oh sure, we could punish a few individual places with supposed tactics like that, but seriously, out of town attendees wouldn't have a clue about any of it. The city that's completely mistreated us on gun bills would still rake in millions of dollars from hosting a pro-gun group. If you guys can't see what's wrong with that, I don't know what to say?

Guest bkelm18
The city that's completely mistreated us on gun bills would still rake in millions of dollars from hosting a pro-gun group. If you guys can't see what's wrong with that, I don't know what to say?

That argument can go the other way too, ya know. Show them we are a force to be reckoned with, despite their actions to keep us down. I'm all for it.

Guest HexHead
Black Balling anti gun business is an awesome idea. Not so much for the punishment, because that's awesome too, but for rewarding those business that support us.

And which ones would that be, pray tell? Or are you referring to the ones that didn't care or see a problem and just let things be because it was easier that way? You call that "supporting us"? There's a pretty big divide between indifference and support.

Guest HexHead
That argument can go the other way too, ya know. Show them we are a force to be reckoned with, despite their actions to keep us down. I'm all for it.

No, if we get the NRA to cancel any plans to come here, THEN we show we are a force to be reckoned with.

A bunch of tourists showing up for a convention and spending money here won't show them :D. Except maybe that they're right.

Do you go to the conventions in any of the other cities? I went to the Louisville one in '08, and I'll be going to Charlotte in May and in Pittsburgh next year. But I WON'T go to one here in downtown Nashville as long as we can't carry in restaurants. And I doubt that will be fixed by 2015.

As long as Nashville (or TN for that matter) is on the path it's on, there's no ****ing way the premier pro-gun organization should be spending any money here. There's much more deserving cities.

No, I haven't attended any of the other conventions in other cities. My point was that, if Nashville had never hosted an NRA convention previously, then I more than likely would never have joined the NRA in the first place years ago.

The main reasoning behind my lack of attendance of conventions in other states is that I've run my own business in Nashville since the mid-80's, and I don't have huge amounts of free time to attend out of state conventions that are not directly related to my profession.

Guest HexHead
No, I haven't attended any of the other conventions in other cities. My point was that, if Nashville had never hosted an NRA convention previously, then I more than likely would never have joined the NRA in the first place years ago.

The main reasoning behind my lack of attendance of conventions in other states is that I've run my own business in Nashville since the mid-80's, and I don't have huge amounts of free time to attend out of state conventions that are not directly related to my profession.

I'm not picking on you personally, but this is an example of why we're being walked all over on. Trading principles for convenience. I see it all the time on here.