What's your ancestry? (curious)

Guest Tenngunner

100% Bad Ass Born in Brooklyn New York 1953

wtb.gif:D

My wife was born in Flushing, but she won't admit it...lol. She was raised in Austin, TX, and has lived in TN since I brought her here in 1994. She tells everyone she's from here now.

FWIW, her lineage is German and Polish. If you haven't guessed by her being born in a heavily Jewish area of Queens, and her lineage, she never got the opportunity to meet the majority of her ancestors thanks to Adolf Hitler.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Caveman
Lumpia are pastries of Chinese origin similar to spring rolls popular in the Philippines and Indonesia. The term lumpia derives from lunpia (traditional Chinese: 潤餅; pinyin: rùnbǐng; POJ: jūn-piáⁿ, lūn-piáⁿ) in the Hokkien language. The recipe, both fried and fresh versions, was brought by the Chinese immigrants from the Fujian province of China to Southeast Asia and became popular where they settled in the Philippines and Indonesia. In the Netherlands and Flanders, it is spelled loempia which is the old Indonesian spelling for lumpia and has also become the generic name for "spring roll" in Dutch. A variant is the Vietnamese lumpia, wrapped in a thinner piece of pastry, in a size close to a spring roll though the wrapping closes the ends off completely, which is typical for lumpia.

:D

My wife's best friend is pure Phili and makes them her way. A way similar to A SPRING ROLL!

Oooo hooo hooo....BO0-YA-SHOCKA

Edited by Caveman
Guest mustangdave
Lumpia are pastries of Chinese origin similar to spring rolls popular in the Philippines and Indonesia. The term lumpia derives from lunpia (traditional Chinese: 潤餅; pinyin: rùnbǐng; POJ: jūn-piáⁿ, lūn-piáⁿ) in the Hokkien language. The recipe, both fried and fresh versions, was brought by the Chinese immigrants from the Fujian province of China to Southeast Asia and became popular where they settled in the Philippines and Indonesia. In the Netherlands and Flanders, it is spelled loempia which is the old Indonesian spelling for lumpia and has also become the generic name for "spring roll" in Dutch. A variant is the Vietnamese lumpia, wrapped in a thinner piece of pastry, in a size close to a spring roll though the wrapping closes the ends off completely, which is typical for lumpia.

:D

My wife's best friend is pure Phili and makes them her way. A way similar to A SPRING ROLL!

We just got SCHOOLED by JACK:owned:...that being said I still will take some lumpia...

:hiding:

It does come in different flavors. The way my wife's family makes it has more meat and less vegetables though. I like them and spring rolls, but I'll take the lumpia first.

Scottish... Clan MacGragor (S' Rioghal Mo Dream!!)

Clan MacDougall

"Conquer or Die" (well, actually, maybe we'll negotiate)

Visited the old digs in Oban years ago, had tea with clan head at the time in the "new" house that was built just down the hill from the ruins of Castle Dunollie (in 1746)!

- OS

The OP was simply asking about the ancestry of folks on here, not which hyphenated-Americans we are. I think 99% of us here consider ourselves 100% American. But our ancestors, and where they came from have shaped who we are to some extent. Some more than others.

I do like the poem by John Wayne though. I see his point clearly. I'm not a Polish-American or an Italian-American or a Welsh-American. When I served in the Army, there was only one flag I saluted, and that's the Stars & Stripes.

But that doesn't mean I am going to forget about where my ancestors came from, because that means I forget what it means to be American. My ancestors came here from various countries because they felt that America was going to be a better place to raise their families, to live out their dreams, or maybe just to get away from some really crappy situation or standard of living. And they found it here. In the land of the free and the home of the brave. God bless America!

My wife was born in Flushing, but she won't admit it...lol. She was raised in Austin, TX, and has lived in TN since I brought her here in 1994. She tells everyone she's from here now.

FWIW, her lineage is German and Polish. If you haven't guessed by her being born in a heavily Jewish area of Queens, and her lineage, she never got the opportunity to meet the majority of her ancestors thanks to Adolf Hitler.

Flushing Meadows

My grandmother lived there ... :bowrofl:

Guest clownsdd
The OP was simply asking about the ancestry of folks on here, not which hyphenated-Americans we are. I think 99% of us here consider ourselves 100% American. But our ancestors, and where they came from have shaped who we are to some extent. Some more than others.

I do like the poem by John Wayne though. I see his point clearly. I'm not a Polish-American or an Italian-American or a Welsh-American. When I served in the Army, there was only one flag I saluted, and that's the Stars & Stripes.

But that doesn't mean I am going to forget about where my ancestors came from, because that means I forget what it means to be American. My ancestors came here from various countries because they felt that America was going to be a better place to raise their families, to live out their dreams, or maybe just to get away from some really crappy situation or standard of living. And they found it here. In the land of the free and the home of the brave. God bless America!

+100

Guest jackdm3

Thought ya'll might get a kick out of this. My undisclosed last name is German and it translates into three parts.

1. Courage or Spirit

2. The Champion of the tribe - the biggest, baddest, bravest, bad-ass elected to fight battles on behalf of the tribe.

And my favorite.

3. BRINGER OF DEATH!

I think another avatar signature is in order.

That I know of: Irish, Scottish, English, Cherokee, Lenape(Delaware), Norman, and German. One of my great-great-etc. Uncles was a Brig. Gen. who was killed during the War of Northern Aggression. The European part of my family has been here since at least the 1650s. The native part was here much earlier.:)

Guest proudsuthrner

i believe that i have german in me, seeing that my last name ends with o.f.f. but i could be wrong. i mean, i could be a direct decendent of King Arthur.. now wouldnt that be something lol

Guest Sgt. Joe

I also agree with you 100%. My posting of the poem was not an intent to offend anyone or an attempt to hi-jack the thread, if it was taken as such I apologize.

Duty...Honor...Country

God Bless America

Guest Bluemax

Paternal Great Grandfather immagrated from Prussia, My paternal Grandmother Scot/Cherokee Maternal Grandparents from Sussex England. A mutt by any other name is still a Mutt

I also agree with you 100%. My posting of the poem was not an intent to offend anyone or an attempt to hi-jack the thread, if it was taken as such I apologize.

Duty...Honor...Country

God Bless America

I don't think that offended anybody. Least of all me. I'm as patriotic as anyone on here.

Tennessean ... great-great-great-great-great grandfather came across the mountains with Daniel Boone. William Bean built a cabin in 1769 near where the Watauga River and Boone's Creek unite. He is acknowledged as the first European settler of the state.

Oh yeah, I probably have some Melungeon blood in me as well.

Guest mosinon

I've got no idea what my ancestry is. Cause I'm adopted and all. I guess everyone else gets into this stuff but I just I'm just happy to be an american.

Besides that, my dad bought me off an unfortunate oompa loompa. I can't even find that placeon google maps.