Concealed Carry help

So I'm having a hard time deciding on a gun for concealed carry... Some of the choices I'm looking at are the Springfield XD S.C, Kahr CW 9mm, and the Taurus 709 slim.... I like the XD the most but it is very thick and somewhat heavy for a S.C.. 26 oz!! The Kahr doesn't have a trigger or grip safety, but it is very light and thin... The Taurus has a thumb safety but I have heard mixed reviews about the reliability of both the Taurus and the Kahr... I already own a Taurus 24/7 Pro that has been completely flawless so I do trust them.. Oh, and I believe the Kahr only comes with one magazine!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I like the XD the most but it is very thick and somewhat heavy for a S.C.. 26 oz!! The Kahr doesn't have a trigger or grip safety, but it is very light and thin... The Taurus has a thumb safety but I have heard mixed reviews about the reliability of both the Taurus and the Kahr... ...

One main thing you need to decide is: how many rounds are you comfy with?

I have a Kahr PM9, great pistola. But I don't feel comfy with 6+1. Or the 5 shots in my Ruger revolver. This may depend to a certain extent on where you live, how you live, where you frequent, etc.

Btw, the XD9 SC weighs exactly 2 lbs. loaded with 13+1.

It's my everyday carry. EVERY day. A good holster and belt and the weight just becomes part of you. The thickness becomes normal too, and any double stack model is going to be about the same.

Lack of a safety is really not a concern as long as trigger is covered however you carry, and you practice safe handling at all times; one of the main causes of ND is reholstering the weapon (getting something in front of the trigger like clothing), so you must learn to do that safely. This is actually one reason I chose the XD, the grip safety. It shouldn't be an issue to reholster ANY gun safely, but the grip safety does give you that little bit of extra margin of safety if you get used to reholstering in a manner that does not depress it.

If you'd like to try on mine in a good IWB holster, gimme a PM, you can come over and try it out.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
One main thing you need to decide is: how many rounds are you comfy with?

I have a Kahr PM9, great pistola. But I don't feel comfy with 6+1. Or the 5 shots in my Ruger revolver. This may depend to a certain extent on where you live, how you live, where you frequent, etc.

Ya I think I would prefer lager capacity i.e 13 rounds....If im going to only have 6+1 i might as well go get a snub nosed Ruger... The only thing holding me back is if I can hide the XD.. I prefer to carry on the hip but I've never actually tried to carry IWB, maybe its about time I looked into it.. Thanks for your help and I'll let you know.

I personally like OWB with as much of a full size pistol as I can. I had several XD's that I carried both IWB and OWB, but like you say they are a little thick. I really liked the size and capacity of the Glock 19, but wanted a hammer fired SA only type pistol. I ended up carrying a CZ P07 OWB. To me it is a perfect balance of weight, size, capacity, and comfort.

BTW - IWB is a commitment. New clothes, finding the right holster, cover garments, belts, Right gun, right location, etc. While OWB has similar issues it is not nearly as involved as IWB. Trial and error.

I have an XD 45 - 4" and a supertuck IWB, I dont have a problem keeping it concealed.....

but then i havnt done my wali-world walk yet either (just around the house and other varius private properties all legal of course)

That being said I dont weigh 125 lbs either. :cool:

I would not be afraid of a Taurus at all. I own three of them, and they are all flawless. I own both the XD40 subcompact, and the PT709 Slim, but I actually carry either the full frame PT92 or the PT1911. The 709 is actually my wife's purse gun.

Ya I agree with you about Taurus, i love my 24/7 pro but I want something smaller.... So since you own both the XD and the Slim is there one you would recommend? I keep reading that people are having problems with the Slim... I do like the value you get with the Slim(only $370)... But the XD is also good value because it comes with a holster and magazing holster.... There are also more accessories available for the XD....

Guest peacexxl

I carry a 4" XD-40 in a Kholster (IWB). Ofcourse I am a big guy so maybe that makes it easier for me to conceal, but the size and weight is not a factor if you are using a quality holster IMO. I also bought the 709 Slim for my wife. The only issue I have had with it is not extracting WWB. It feeds and extracts every defensive round I have put through it with no problem. I like the Slim alot being a taurus fan myself, but like I said, I actually CARRY the XD-40 4".

Almost forgot, the first gun I bought was a 24/7 pro c 9mm, which is now my wife's house gun so if your considering an XDsc, then you may want to think about the 24/7 pro c as well. Great 3" gun.

Edited by peacexxl
Ya I agree with you about Taurus, i love my 24/7 pro but I want something smaller.... So since you own both the XD and the Slim is there one you would recommend? I keep reading that people are having problems with the Slim... I do like the value you get with the Slim(only $370)... But the XD is also good value because it comes with a holster and magazing holster.... There are also more accessories available for the XD....

If I were forced to make a choice between the two, I would always choose the XD. I base the decision on projectile size, and magazine capacity. The slim only holds 7+1, while the XD holds 12+1. If I have to choose between my PT92 and the XD, I would almost always choose the PT92. This choice is based on capacity and experience. The 92 mag holds 17+1, and I carried it the whole time I was in the military. Sent a lot of rounds downrange with that model.

Of course, there is NEVER a substitute for a 1911 :D

I regularly carry an XD9sc too. Not really any problems concealing it, even OWB. I regularly wear just a big T shirt. It does print some, but once you get over the worry that someone may notice, which they don't, it's not a big factor. And if you regularly wear a button up shirt untucked, it's even less of an issue. Heck, I carry my XDm40 and nobody has ever seemed to notice. If I can hide that thing, the XDsc is nothing.

By the way, both are great guns. I've never had a malfunction out of my XD9sc, XD40 4", or XDm40, with every kind of ammo you can think of: aluminum, brass, steel, cheap, expensive, you name it.

Guest Sgt. Joe

If it is slim and capacity that you desire, I have been fully happy with my Ruger SR-9.

17+1 and as slim as any I've seen. Around 400 bucks and comes with 2 mags and a 50% off coupon for the Viridian lasers.

I like mine and though it was a good deal. Something you may consider.

Guest B_Carter
I regularly carry an XD9sc too. Not really any problems concealing it, even OWB. I regularly wear just a big T shirt. It does print some, but once you get over the worry that someone may notice, which they don't, it's not a big factor. And if you regularly wear a button up shirt untucked, it's even less of an issue. Heck, I carry my XDm40 and nobody has ever seemed to notice. If I can hide that thing, the XDsc is nothing.

By the way, both are great guns. I've never had a malfunction out of my XD9sc, XD40 4", or XDm40, with every kind of ammo you can think of: aluminum, brass, steel, cheap, expensive, you name it.

I have a XD9sc and carry with the Don Hume JIT Slide. I like it except for the handle seems to tip away from my body. What are you using for OWB carry?

More From the Kool Aid drinkers.

Im 21 5'11 and 180 pounds. My glock 19 sits silently in my waitband unknown to others in the room.

Buy a Glock and get your drink on with us.

My girlfriend preferes the M&P subcompact,but you cant go wrong with an xd either.

More From the Kool Aid drinkers.

Im 21 5'11 and 180 pounds. My glock 19 sits silently in my waitband unknown to others in the room.

Buy a Glock and get your drink on with us.

My girlfriend preferes the M&P subcompact,but you cant go wrong with an xd either.

Already have a Glock 27 that I'm not a huge fan of. Recoil is horrible and grip is not the best IMO.

I carry a XD 40 Service model (4" barrel), everyday, all day long. I'm either sitting in my office, or in my Jeep going to take pictures or inspect a property, 8am to 6pm. I carry in a CTAC, IWB tuck-able holster. Size and weight....IMO are a little important, but not the determining factor. Proper set up is and that goes to the holster that you are using. A holster that doesn't fit you well or is uncomfortable, will be just that, uncomfortable, no matter what gun you carry, heavy, light, fat or thin.

The XD I like, obviously since that is what I carry.

the Kahr, is a good carry weapon as well, they are more reliable once you get some rounds through them, 500+.

The Taurus, you got a good one, so you should be good to go.

I have a small revolver that I have has a secondary/backup, that I don't really ever carry, it is just as comfortable to wear my full size XD with my set up.

They, as in many on here, say that the MTAC is even more comfortable than the CTAC, and if I ever change guns, I will try the MTAC, but I can't justify the expense at this point, because I have no issue with comfort.

CTAC/MTACs are built by Comp tec.

Already have a Glock 27 that I'm not a huge fan of. Recoil is horrible and grip is not the best IMO.

hmm i'm 5'4 160 lbs and carry glock 27. it's smaller and lighter than the xd sc and i have no probs carring it iwb. i don't have any probs with recoil either. if you don't like the 27 trade it to a 26 and put a pinky extension it, you should be able to find someone willing to trade even pretty easily. you could probably trade it even for an xd sc too if you're set on an xd.

Ya I think I would prefer lager capacity i.e 13 rounds....If im going to only have 6+1 i might as well go get a snub nosed Ruger... The only thing holding me back is if I can hide the XD..

I think you just said it... XD wins due to capacity. (and several other factors)

1) Taurus... I, like you, have a 24/7 that has been great. I bought a 709, and had nothing but trouble with it...finally sold it with a loss of approx. $150.

personally, I'd avoid the 709...either the XD or Kahr are better choices IMHO. 709 just can't compare to either of them in my book. PS - the 709 trigger is the longest, weirdest trigger I've ever pulled....

2) Kahr... WAY OVERPRICED. sheesh, for that kind of money you could just about get into a SIG. plus, the Kahrs have had reliability issues as well...

3) XDsc... is the hands down winner in my book. every bit as reliable as a Glock, but safer IMHO, and has WAY better ergo. cheaper as well... get into a used XD for around $400...

as far as concealment goes...I carry a service-size XD40, OWB, and have zero probs concealing it under an untucked shirt. the XDsc would be even easier to hide.