What exactly does this mean?

Okay, our idiot friend Voldemort is saying over at opencarry.org that places like Brentwood and Belle Meade are off-limits to carry-even with a valid HCP because "supposedly" their codes were put in place before 1986 (although, one has a date of 2005 on it, and the other is labeled as 1987.)

I find it also hard to believe since Brentwood did the official opt-out of the parks, AND complained about having to research the law, that if their code was actually legal, they would have known that they would have had to done absolutely nothing.

It just seems very very wrong that cities could somehow make it illegal to legally carry via a HCP on public roads and businesses.

Am I missing something or is it really that messed up?

Matthew

PS. I feel like I am taking crazy pills here;)

Edited by macville
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest strelcevina

i live by Belle Meade, and don't have any problem carry.

one time few months ago police stoped me on Belle Meade blvd, for not wearing seatbelt

he didn't even ask to see my gun

thats new to me but I still dont understand a bit of it, I dont understand legal talk very well.

It means that most local gun prohibitions are still valid if they were enacted before 4/8/86 and are still on the books.

For example, carry in Knoxville parks/rec areas is banned by local ordinance, and they didn't have to post them as per state law to do it. If they wanted to fall back on state law statute, they would have to abolish the long standing local ordinance.

As I read the statue, it even seems that local laws enacted before that date could even include gun registration and whatnot, or even outright banning gun ownership. I guess it's just that no TN jurisdiction ever did that.

- OS

I have seen some of his post over there...

The only thing I could think of to do, is to contact these cities yourself and see what you can find out. The trouble would be talking to anyone with any actual knowledge there.

Never know, it could be true, but only enforced when they want to.

Where I grew up had an ordnance that didn't allow pool to be played in public after mid-night. Never was an issue until there were problems at/with this one arcade then they dusted of the ordnance book and decided to enforce it.