Physical health and lifestyle changes

• Moderators

So the wife and I have joined a gym and surprisingly, I am really enjoying it. I do have to say I have a newfound respect for those ladies that do aerobics classes, that crap is hard. I agreed to do a core class once a week with her and I am now really sore. I knew I was out of shape, but damn!

So what are y'all doing for physical conditioning? Post your workouts, and for my Memphis folks if you are a member @ Lifetime Fitness in collierville I am looking for gym partners as working out works better with folks to push each other.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a lot of time or money for a gym so I keep it simple. I run everyday and alternate days of doing pushups, pull ups, sit-ups, and curls with a bar. Plus in me free time I like to hike and rock climb. It keeps me interested where it doesn't feel like a chore all the time. I have an Alaskan Malamute that has tons of energy so he makes sure I take him running every morning.

Guest mustangdave

Hit the YMCA here 3 times a week...swim 24-28 lengths of the pool (about 30 minutes) and use the sauna for 20-30 minutes. Also bicycling on the weekends, weather permitting. I did one of those "classes" too...called BOOT CAMP...it was a BITCH. I also have a calistendics routine I do at home. I'd dropped from 280 into the 260's before I had knee surgeory. Another "class" you might look into..SPINNING or indoor cycling...you can burn upwards of 1000 calories in a 45 minute class...and you SWEAT. My current stable weight is 265...

Guest tnpanscraper

Just got the P90X workout package. Started reading the book last night. Looks like I'm in for a sevier a$$ kicking. I just hope I will stick with it...

Just got the P90X workout package. Started reading the book last night. Looks like I'm in for a sevier a$$ kicking. I just hope I will stick with it...

get ready, because you are in for it. i did that for a while and it about killed me. you'll very likely cuss Tony a few times before it's over, but i saw absolutely wonderful results.

This guy has the most inspirational weight loss story on TGO. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/15880-one-year-weigh-157lbs-lost.html

He recommends fitday.com, which is a free keep track of what you eat journal for weight loss. I was looking at that thread last night. I've got a new exercise bike, joined that program, and am making the lifestyle change I need. I'm rewarding my weight loss goals with firearms training classes. Can't wait for the results. Best wishes to those of you doing the same.

Here's Arko's throwdown thread.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/26269-hey-tubby-up-challenge.html

Guest tnpanscraper
This guy has the most inspirational weight loss story on TGO. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/15880-one-year-weigh-157lbs-lost.html

He recommends fitday.com, which is a free keep track of what you eat journal for weight loss. I was looking at that thread last night. I've got a new exercise bike, joined that program, and am making the lifestyle change I need. I'm rewarding my weight loss goals with firearms training classes. Can't wait for the results. Best wishes to those of you doing the same.

Here's Arko's throwdown thread.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/26269-hey-tubby-up-challenge.html

Good for you man... I'm kind of a little dude and don't really need to loose weight. I just want to get in better condition. Maybe add a little muscle mass.

Good luck with your program. You should do well with that incentive package...

• Moderators
Good for you man... I'm kind of a little dude and don't really need to loose weight. I just want to get in better condition. Maybe add a little muscle mass.

Good luck with your program. You should do well with that incentive package...

We're in the same place. I don't have much weight to lose (other than a small belly) I just need to increase overall condition and tone while adding a little bit of muscle mass.

Suntzu, that's a good reward system you got there. That's what I call incentives.

Was running up until I ran the St. Jude Half Marathon. Developed a shin splint on my right inside leg...typically shin splints are on the outside, mine is inside and underneath. Thought I had a stress fracture, enough so that I went to an orthopedic guy. Haven't run since Dec. 5th and it is killing me. Trying to "give it time to heal" but it still hurts a bit at times, especially if I run. Will start back soon, I enjoy it. In the mean time, I'm getting my Mountain Bike up in running so I can at least get the exercise I need. Need to lose about 5 lbs of Holidays weight, but that will take a week if I really want it off quickly.

Guest tlondon

Just started a new workout routine at the Clarksville Athletic Club. 3 days cardio and weights (alternating between upper and lower body) and 2 days of just cardio and abs. I need to loose about 50lbs.

Fortunately I don't have a weight problem, out of shape problem yes. However the guys and gals here run a "biggest loser" competition and it works really well. The competition keeps them on their toes and helps keep them true to whatever mthod of getting in shape that they choose. We all need a little competition sometimes.

DB - Where do you ride? I have a Bike that needs to go to the shop to get overhauled and once done am looking to ride again.

No where yet. Been to dang cold! I'm sure my bike needs to be tuned, got to figure out the pedals, I have non clips, that I don't like, I have toe clips, that scare me because I have never ridden with them. I also got to get me some of those spandex shorts with the padding in them to protect my boys. (Not that I need them for more kids, done with that, I just prefer no pain!)

I'll start soon, before I get out to Shelby Farms, I will ride the N'hood, to get back use to riding, and figure out my set up, I have an older Diamond Back, with front shocks, but have never really ridden it.

My goal is to get back to running, but I do and have been wanting to add biking. Eventually I will get a road bike...maybe.

• Moderators
I am just re-starting a regimine. I haven't started the diet or anything however that is on the plan. I am looking at going to the Y on Yates if there are any Memphis members that want to meet up there. Let me know.

What is Lifestyle running for membership dues these days?

It is $99 a month for my wife and I. Looked at the Y and for our income bracket it is $74 for the both of us. for an individual Lifetime is $like 50 and the Y is $51, but the Y's rates are on a sliding scale for income.

It seems like a lot but when you compare facilities, there is no comparison. the extra $25 for Lifetime is totally worth it.