Did they pass it?

Question concerning the permit carry into restaurants that serve alcohol.

I know the passed it, then a court ruled against it, then they were supposed to allow sometime in January.

Anyone know the real deal? My boss asked me this morning if they had passed it. I'd just like to be able to tell him Yes.

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question concerning the permit carry into restaurants that serve alcohol.

I know the passed it, then a court ruled against it, then they were supposed to allow sometime in January.

Anyone know the real deal? My boss asked me this morning if they had passed it. I'd just like to be able to tell him Yes.

Thanks

Legislature hasn't even cranked up yet.

Don't expect any action for at least a month, maybe 3, maybe ?

- OS

Bredeson is putting special emphisis on them to change some of the education laws so that TN gets some of the stimulas money.....sadly i dont see this getting the attention it deserves in January at all.

Actually it could mean this and other firearms laws don't get noticed as much, which wouldn't be all bad if the sponsors can still move them along.

But to the OP even if the bill is introduced Monday you are still talking about several weeks before it goes through the whole process and comes up for a vote on the floor of the senate and house. As said more likely at least 2-3 months.

Actually it could mean this and other firearms laws don't get noticed as much, which wouldn't be all bad if the sponsors can still move them along.

You could be right but I just don't see the media not being all over this. They won't miss the opportunity to try to scare the sheeple again. I'm worried that the sheeple will be more active this time around so I am expecting there to be more reporting this time. That means that we will have to be more active than before.

You could be right but I just don't see the media not being all over this. They won't miss the opportunity to try to scare the sheeple again. I'm worried that the sheeple will be more active this time around so I am expecting there to be more reporting this time. That means that we will have to be more active than before.

You very well could be right as well.

Another possibility is some "back door" trading depending how badly votes are needed on certain education bills that come up.

Guest HexHead

But to the OP even if the bill is introduced Monday you are still talking about several weeks before it goes through the whole process and comes up for a vote on the floor of the senate and house. As said more likely at least 2-3 months.

My guess is that it's going to be July again, if ever. I honestly believe we stand a better chance with the appeals court. If they go ahead with that stupid solution Jackson is floating, we'll be worse off than the proposals everyone was against before, with the curfew or age limits. You wouldn't be able to carry in places as benign as Pizza Hut.

But you can count on months at best. There's going to have to be the same route as before with committees and a total of six votes once you factor in the Governor's veto again. And I doubt after the :lol: storm we had the last time over this, it's going to get as much support from the fence sitters that went along with the crowd last time and voted in our favor.

Yeah, the media is going to stay on top of this. Look at the stuff the Tennessean's already been running, revving up the anti machine. How often do they get handed a second bite at the apple? I actually expect it to be worse this time.

If simple exception for HCP holder's bill is introduced and passed in both chambers, then there would be no differences to be worked out in a conference committee and no votes on whether to accept the other chamber's version etc... So that would cut down on the time/votes compared to last year considerably.

However I grant that it is a big IF.

From last I could tell Sen Jackson was dead set against introducing a simple exception bill, so I can't help but to wonder even if someone else introduced one, how much (if any) he would support it. Especially if he followed through with his own bill, it could be hard for any other one introduced by someone else to get much traction I'm afraid. :lol:

I also agree that his bill to allow carry only in places with a restaurant liquor-by-the-drink license is more screwed up than anything else we had or could have.

Guest HexHead
If simple exception for HCP holder's bill is introduced and passed in both chambers, then there would be no differences to be worked out in a conference committee and no votes on whether to accept the other chamber's version etc... So that would cut down on the time/votes compared to last year considerably.

However I grant that it is a big IF.

From last I could tell Sen Jackson was dead set against introducing a simple exception bill, so I can't help but to wonder even if someone else introduced one, how much (if any) he would support it. Especially if he followed through with his own bill, it could be hard for any other one introduced by someone else to get much traction I'm afraid. :rofl:

I also agree that his bill to allow carry only in places with a restaurant liquor-by-the-drink license is more screwed up than anything else we had or could have.

It almost as if he's either lost his mind or someone's gotten to him politically?

The simplest way to fix this without further restricting us or loosening the law is to just amend the offending six word passage the judge specifically pointed out in her decision that was "vague"... about the establishment's "principle business" to just "where meals are served". Worried that pretzels and chips in a beer hall would constitute meals? Make it "hot meals". :screwy:

But that doesn't seem to fly in his view either.

It almost as if he's either lost his mind or someone's gotten to him politically?

The simplest way to fix this without further restricting us or loosening the law is to just amend the offending six word passage the judge specifically pointed out in her decision that was "vague"... about the establishment's "principle business" to just "where meals are served". Worried that pretzels and chips in a beer hall would constitute meals? Make it "hot meals". :screwy:

But that doesn't seem to fly in his view either.

Hex that seems logical and simple. Common sense! That's a new approach!

Why don't you run against Doug Henry?!

Guest HexHead
Hex that seems logical and simple. Common sense! That's a new approach!

Yeah, it amazes me they feel they need to reinvent the wheel when all they need to do is fix a flat. :rofl:

Why don't you run against Doug Henry?!

I could give you lots of reasons, including I've already been in one Metro election, but the best is.... after watching hours of House and Senate proceedings last session when this stuff was going on, I'd rather chew off my own leg than have to sit there through it on a regular basis. :screwy:

Yeah, it amazes me they feel they need to reinvent the wheel when all they need to do is fix a flat. :rofl:

I could give you lots of reasons, including I've already been in one Metro election, but the best is.... after watching hours of House and Senate proceedings last session when this stuff was going on, I'd rather chew off my own leg than have to sit there through it on a regular basis. :screwy:

If you run and win, I'm sure we could get a bakesale or something together and get you an ipod to get through the proceedings :rofl:

I thought that law was already passed? Are we talking about something different? You are allowed to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as you aren't drinking and it is not posted.

I mean, like Hooter's, Toot's, ect. I remember when that bill passed we were able to carry in those places, I haven't heard anything saying otherwise, I have been carrying there since they passed the law.

Edited by ab28
Guest bkelm18
I thought that law was already passed? Are we talking about something different? You are allowed to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as you aren't drinking and it is not posted.

I mean, like Hooter's, Toot's, ect. I remember when that bill passed we were able to carry in those places, I haven't heard anything saying otherwise, I have been carrying there since they passed the law.

Don't watch/read the news or get on here much do ya?

In other words, a judge ruled the law unconstitutional due to the vagueness of the language in the law. We can no longer carry in restaurants that serve alcohol at this time. The ruling was in December.

Don't watch/read the news or get on here much do ya?

I don't watch TV, read the paper, ect. I visit here occasionally. I guess it's no more going out to eat, not that I do it much anyways.