Ice Maker HELP!!!!

Guest db99wj

appears to be dry which is my concern, it hasn't been wet. I wasn't sure if it wasn't gettting water or it pumps so little that it was evaporating..or something. Beginning to think water is not getting up there.

Edited by db99wj
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at one point I replaced the pump and all the water lines. Be careful if you do this to not cause a leak that may go un-noticed for a while. Don't ask how I know this.

At any rate the original water lines were brittle and clogged. Changing it all out helped, but the thing has always had issues.

One day I will break down and buy a new one.

I do not think the water would evaporate. Change the pump and look hard at the lines.

Give it a day, trust me they take about 8-12 hour to make the first ice for some reason when you replace them.

Yea, too late to work on it anymore, busy week, will give it this week, if no ice, replace pump.

Only thing I'm worried about is the power to the unit, I don't see why it would not power the motor, but...my luck...it won't.

I did confirm one thing on the power. I used the old motor and assembly, with the new wiring harness, snapped it in to the old, unplugged the new one that is in the freezer, plugged it the old one with new non fitting harness into the frig power, and the old unit started buzzing, like it did before all this, so it would appear, even though I can't prove power to the new unit, the wiring harness can be interchanged and will work, as long as the connections are good, which they are on the way I have it set up.....I hope.

Definitely has power, no ice this morning. I watched it as the teeth cycled around to drop the newly made ice, but not ice. So, get to pull the pump and replace it with the new on in the kit and check the water line while I'm back there.

Could the tube the brings the water in from the back of the frige into the icemaker be froze up?

Probably be a good idea to go ahead and replace the pump even if it is good, then I won't have to "worry" about it for awhile.

Have you completely defrosted it? In this weather you could take all of the food and put it in a cooler outside and not have it go bad or even thaw for that matter and let the fridge/freezer defrost completely then fire it up and see if it works.

It is a automatic defrost kind, no ice builds up inside the freezer.

I think the water feeder tube just push/pulls out of the back, I just have to get back there and see and mess with that, the only thing I've done back there was clean..man a bunch of crap ends up back there, I had dang near the whole alphabet back there (magnetic letters for kids!)

I would not turn off an old fridge, did that once to clean iit up and the compressor decided to not turn back on.

when you go to change the pump and tubing a golf tee might come in handy to stick in an end if it keeps squirting water.

Have you checked/changed the water filter??

Where? If it is part of the pump, then no. Will looking at the pump next, along with the feeding tube and water tubing to the pump.

Just before the holiday season (of course) Sears just charged me up the *** for that same part. I asked to keep the old one so I can find it on-line cheaper in the future. My extended family came to stay and everytime someone went to the fridge or freezer, I told them to grab a $3.00 ice cube because I just paid to have it fixed and by god we were going to use it.

Guest gunslinger707
Where? If it is part of the pump, then no. Will looking at the pump next, along with the feeding tube and water tubing to the pump.

The fiter for the water and ice should be near the bottom of the fridge.The icemaker in our whirlpool stopped making ice for awhile. I changed the filter and it started working again.

Update:

The pump on the back is a dual pump, the one I have, is a single. Figures.

Secondary problem, the copper water line, that runs from the supply to the pump started leaking water, at the compression fitting that connects to the pump.

1. Need to get correct pump

2. Should I stay with copper? If so, can I buy new that has the compression fittings already or do I need to get new fittings, cut the copper, install compress fitting, sweat it with a torch.

3. Do they have a rubber tubing or a rubber braided steel type line opposed to copper that I should go to?

Copper seems crease prone.

Appliance part shops suck for closing at noon on Saturday.

Edited by db99wj
  • 4 weeks later...
Update:

The pump on the back is a dual pump, the one I have, is a single. Figures.

Secondary problem, the copper water line, that runs from the supply to the pump started leaking water, at the compression fitting that connects to the pump.

1. Need to get correct pump

2. Should I stay with copper? If so, can I buy new that has the compression fittings already or do I need to get new fittings, cut the copper, install compress fitting, sweat it with a torch.

3. Do they have a rubber tubing or a rubber braided steel type line opposed to copper that I should go to?

Copper seems crease prone.

Appliance part shops suck for closing at noon on Saturday.

Got a double pump, got a new steel braid water line. Installed it, got ice!!!! My cost ended up being around $110. If I would have called someone, I would have paid that plus the $75 to $150 for them to fix it, so I am way ahead. I could have probably saved a little if I would have got all the parts at A Plus Appliance Parts on Summer Avenue.

The moral of this story is screw the big box stores on specialty items, go to a real store that has the parts that you need. I could have saved myself a headache if I would have gone to this appliance parts store in the first place.