Ruger LCR or S&W 637

Guest B_Carter

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FiddleDog

I love the LCRs triggerpull. no stacking whatsoever. Ruger makes a fine DA revolver. The sight is slightly hard to read, and I think it is slightly bigger than the 637. I've vote for the LCR, absolutely.

Just one thing you might consider, What's a plastic revolver go'na be worth in 10yrs. Check out what a 10yr. old J frame is selling for, just saying.

Just one thing you might consider, What's a plastic revolver go'na be worth in 10yrs. Check out what a 10yr. old J frame is selling for, just saying.

What's a ten year old plastic Glock worth compared to what you paid for it?

- OS

Guest BJEC1248

I tried a 642, bought the Ruger. then my wife tried it, so I had to buy her 1 too. just sayin'.

the CT grip helps alot with aiming. it's snappy, you're not going to take it for a relaxing couple of hours of steady shooting at the range, but for what it's designed for--close-range self-defense--it's mighty fine.

Guest rystine

I bought an LCR on a whim a few months ago, I knew they were tough to get and came across one for a good price so I picked it up. I'm not sure how well the plastic frame will last or how much it will be worth in 10 or 20 years, and I will probably pick up a S&W 642 in the future to add to the collection.

But I can say that for now I couldn't be happier with the little Ruger. The trigger is probably the highlight of it, very smooth and makes for fairly accurate shooting for a snubnose .38. As far as recoil, I haven't done alot of shooting with an airweight S&W (and never side by side) so I can't give a real accurate comparison except to say I don't think you'd really notice a difference between them.

If you're wanting the external hammer though, than the 637 is the way to go and it's hard to go wrong with a S&W revolver.

The LCR's are neat....if your like me and you trade around all the time I wouldnt worry about what it will or wont be worth 10yrs down the road. However if you are a "collector" I would definitely go with the smith. For concealibility and no snag you might also want to consider a 638 bodyguard J-frame as it has the flush hammer so you can still cock it if you want/need too but it wont ever hook on your pocket.

When the LCR came out I shot it back-to-back with a S&W Airweight. The trigger on the LCR was amazingly smooth and the recoil noticeably less. I don't think the durability of polymer is a real issue; Glock has pretty much put that one to bed at least for my lifetime. If I wanted a nice small snubby to shoot and carry, I'd go with the LCR. If I was adding to my collection, it would be the S&W.

OK great comments....I have a Kel Tec .380....should I consider giving it up to go for the Ruger LCR? I dont need both....or do I???:confused:

Only you can answer that, but the LCR will conceal well. Of course the Kel Tec, if it's the P# conceals even better.....

If you don't need that extra margin of thinness, I personally would just keep the LCR. Better trigger, better probably accuracy.

I've owned or extensively shot, as well as done action jobs on a variety of S&W J-frames. When I got a chance to extensively shoot the LCR I was impressed. I thought about getting one for myself then I thought, what would I do with it? I use a Keltec and/or Glock for a carry gun. I have a Charter .38 snubbie for a tackle box gun.

Would I sell a Keltec to get some money to buy a LCR, nah. Used Keltec .32/.380s aren't worth much but they work. I have a hardchrome KT .32 I carry all the time. For ensuring reliability of the KT: GoldenLoki.com

I would recommend the LCR to anyone who has a need or a want for a snubbie. From my perspective I would go with the LCR over a S&W J frame in .38, especially compared to the light weight Smiths. I think the LCR is easier to shoot well for a beginner and in "panic" shooting. My perception is that the light Smiths tend to torque a bit more than the LCR, especially when shooting one-hand weak-hand.

OK great comments....I have a Kel Tec .380....should I consider giving it up to go for the Ruger LCR? I dont need both....or do I???:o

If you can afford it, keep both until you're at least sure you are comfortably proficient with the revolver. After that, if you need the cash sell it. If you don't, hang on to it as a backup.