Boar Hunting

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEARMAN

+ 1 Patty, great places to begin. If you want to pay for a guided hunt, try Caryonah lodge in Crossville / Monterey area, I can tell you from experiance, this is a first class operation,and you guys will have the time of your life!!!

Chris...try this link also...Boar Hunter Magazine it's loaded full of great information. :D

Regards...Bearman

Guest Muttling

A good guided hunt is a nice way to go. Them critters are very nocturnal and love the heavy brush. If you hunt Catoosa, stay near the river.

If you plan to kill one, bring a clothes pin for your nose. They STINK.

Killed and eaten a bunch of them. I like it better than any other game.

If you want a trophy, then a guided hunt is about the only hope. You can't pattern them with much success. They are hard to hunt on public land. After years and years of hunting them on public land in Florida, I gave up. Private land is easier in Florida because you can feed them. If TWRA had any interest in hunters taking more hogs than they would allow feeders.

A buddy of mine is a Federal Fish and Game officer and they are setting up feeders at a local NWR so they can eradicate the hogs there. I am still hopeful that he will ask me to help :taunt:

You can get affordable guided hunts in south Georgia and Florida. Texasboars.com is a great site to get started with.

I figure if the local, state and federal wildlife people want these hogs gone as bad as they say, then they should offer more opportunity for the hunter to get a pig. I know where there are a whole lot of them. Just can't hunt them ...

Scout your property and make sure you have pigs on it. Look for tracks, wallows and rooting areas. Once you find sign, hunt it like you would deer. Hunting101 has a good sample of tracks as a "sticky" at the top of the page. As always, check the game laws for information on hunting "feral hogs"/Boar.

• 2 months later...
Guest Republican

Dont go shoot a hog in a pen at some so called "huntin lodge" unless you just have to. They are running around wild everwhere. Big South Fork is a good place.

The hunt was awesome. Caryonah lodge was great. Excellent hospitality, good food and my guide taught me a lot about hog hunting in a single day. I'll be much more confident going after porkers in the wild now.. glad I did a lodge hunt for the first one though.

It was the first beautiful day of spring and the hogs were running like crazy. They refused to bay up and just kept running. After about two or three hours of watching the dogs chase a herd around the hollows, they finally charged right past where I was hiding. I took the lead boar at a full run from about 15 yards out.

It wasn't a hunt in the classic sense, but it was a lot of fun. The boar was about 275 lbs and has been providing me w/ some excellent barbecue and pork chops.

Oh an thanks to everyone who pointed me to the 45/70... that is an awesome big game cartridge... I made a nice double lung shot and I swear the 45/70 picked him up and threw him down the hill... it was like something out of a movie. He got back up and only made it a few steps before he gave it up. I used the Ruger #1 that I bought off this forum... great gun with a great big game cartridge... definitely enough gun for the job.

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I have a freezer full of meat and am going after more hogs in Florida in a few weeks... this time with a bow.... bring it on!

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I figure if the local, state and federal wildlife people want these hogs gone as bad as they say, then they should offer more opportunity for the hunter to get a pig. I know where there are a whole lot of them. Just can't hunt them ...

I'm not sure I understand - hogs are open season year 'round. Other than not letting us bait them, what is it that the 'wildlife people' are doing to keep us from killing hogs?

There are places (LBL and Ft. Campbell for example) that have a pretty sizable population of feral hogs. They won't let you hunt them unless something else is in season, IE: Turkey. Then you have to use the weapon for the hunt. Ever shot a 200lb boar with a load of number 6's? My statement therefore means....if you want the pigs gone, let me hunt them "year round" with the weapon most appropriate for the job!

There are places (LBL and Ft. Campbell for example) that have a pretty sizable population of feral hogs. They won't let you hunt them unless something else is in season, IE: Turkey. Then you have to use the weapon for the hunt. Ever shot a 200lb boar with a load of number 6's? My statement therefore means....if you want the pigs gone, let me hunt them "year round" with the weapon most appropriate for the job!

+1

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Understood - I was not aware of the restrictions on hog hunting at LBL or Campbell. I thought it was pretty much a statewide "shoot 'em when you see 'em" kind of thing. Of course, I never hunt at LBL or Campbell so it makes sense I wouldn't know that.

No problem friend. Wildlife officials want them gone, well, lift the restrictions so we ALL can hunt them! I will be going out during the turkey season, but will hunt with my crossbow. Kind of a "multi-use" weapon if you know what I mean. I know where there were a bunch of them last fall on a local NWR, but a scouting trip yesterday showed that they must have been eradicated in that area. No sign at all. D%$#m USDA!

Dave, I will check with my buddy about the situation on the NWR. He has been out of state training, but I believe they were setting up feeders to try and kill them out. Not sure if they have done any killing yet. I should be able to find out next week. If not, I will get the low down and maybe we can get up a hog hunt.