bump in the night

I forgot to add that even the laziest of dogs usually bark in the presence of a stranger. My basset hound knows when someone else is here way before I do. I she knows you, then she becomes a tripping hazard, though...lol

You guys that are using alarms systems, is it a huge PITA, or not too bad? I've been thinking about getting a ADT system for a while. They have a decent deal going at the moment.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest B_Carter
I forgot to add that even the laziest of dogs usually bark in the presence of a stranger. My basset hound knows when someone else is here way before I do. I she knows you, then she becomes a tripping hazard, though...lol

You guys that are using alarms systems, is it a huge PITA, or not too bad? I've been thinking about getting a ADT system for a while. They have a decent deal going at the moment.

You may want to check out this outfit called NCA out of Nashville. $10 a month and no contract. Same service as ADT and some of the other big guys. I heard them on Dave Ramsey the other day and called. Everything seems legit. You will need to buy your equipment up front which I am ok with so I own it. Google NCA and it should bring up the website. Maybe this helps in your search.

Speaking of alarm systems I used to work for Brinks Home Security in Knoxville. Motion detectors were the biggest pita known to man. You could have cobwebs dangling from the ceiling and it catches a glimpse of it and bang it goes off then you got cops comin out and then there is noone there and they get pissed cuz you wasted their time. Also, motion detectors measure surface area and not mass/height/weight. So for example a spider crawling across the motion detector is going to have a bigger surface area than a 5 ft 11 man at 6 ft just keep that in mind. My advice would be keep the motion sensors deactivated or dont get any at all because the windows or doors will trip when they come in. Also, avoid glass breakage detectors, they are very sensitive. If you have a dog that likes to stand at the winder and bark at strangers guess what the GBD will go off and since that is an emergency zone even if you cancel the alarm the cops are liable to show up anyways.

IANAL, but recordings are a double edge sword... They could hurt just as much as they can help...

If you end up with a dead stranger on your floor who likely has a criminal record... I seriously doubt the recording is going to do you any good but for sure could do you some harm.

A perfect example, is the case of the Pharmacist who was convicted of murder for shooting a robber after a short delay... If there had not been a video tape showing the delay, or how the robber didn't pose a serious risk, in all likelihood the pharmacist wouldn't have been charged let alone convicted....

No recording leaves you and your wife as the only 2 witnesses to the shooting, and gives you time to consult a lawyer before giving a statement to the police...

Just my 2 cents worth.

on the wait to call 911,.. all 911 calls are recorded.. if your spouse can dial while you defend against a break in or attempted break in and something does occur it can help when replayed later.. legal eagles please clarify

I was taught that it can help if the Jury hears the recording and you are stating clearly that you are armed intend to defend and they need to leave NOW and you end up having to shoot it out it shows your " I was in fear of my life or grave bodily harm would come to me/my spouse" mindset during your civil trial...

I am not a lawyer nor do I have legal experience...

John

I have heard of the car alarm idea and it makes sense in that the intruder does not want attention from the outside world while they work but I put it in the "another piece of the defensive toolbox " file and would not rely on it as the only tool to summon help or defend..