I want to buy something new

JeffsSig

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Beretta 92FS, or Beretta M9

My favorite full size DA/SA 9mm out there. They tend to be very accurate, reliable, and arguably the lightest recoiling full size 9mm pistol. New you should be able to pick up either model for $500 to $550 with ease. Factory 15 round magazines are readily available for $20 and if you ever want to suppress the gun you can have your reliable stock barrel threaded for about $70 without needing a custom $150 extension or an expensive ($150 and up) aftermarket barrel. It is the most reliable 9mm to suppress and at with some of the smaller light weight silencers the 92 does not even need a booster to be reliable (unlike an HK, SIG, Glock or any other auto-loader that use a tilting barrel ala browning high-power design. They all require a booster and even then it will not be as reliable as the suppressed 92) The 92 uses a tilting lock.

These Beretta's are the best 9mm handguns readily available for under $750

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAdams viewpost.gif

Revolver:

S&W M&P 340 J Frame Centennial done right. The ultimate modern snub.

Product: Model M&P 340 CT Revolver - Centennial

Has anyone shot one of these? I want one but not sure if the bite from the .357mag plus the muzzle flash will make it impractical. That a lot of powder for a 13oz pistol!!!

I have had a 340 and have been shooting it for about three years. I bought one about 6 months or so after they came out.

For me the ability to shoot the .357 is a positive yet secondary issue making it more versatile, i.e. in a pinch if .357 were the only thing available, or if you wish to "roll your own" and do a .357 light.

The Speer Gold Dot .357 designed for short barrels has a lower flash and powder load that addresses the use in "short barrels". It is about the only .357 I would run personally and it still isn't alot of fun to shoot, but certainly manageable. Full load 158 grain is almost unpleasant, but I had to try it. None of the events were as dramatic as some would have you believe and did not fall into the "my hand felt like it was hit by a baseball bat". Obviously recoil being subjective.

I have had no "crimp jump" issues with any rounds and inspected rounds 4&5 of each size and Vendor's product make for evidence of such.

I load mine with the Speer Gold Dot for Short Barrel .38 spl plus P, 135 gr.

PN 23921.

I am attracted to the 340 for all the reasons DAO Centennials are so popular aka 642/442 but in addition, lighter and better optioned with the night sights, which are superior to blades with fingernail polish or fibre (light pipes). The DLC coating is more robust than anything else S&W uses on the Airweights. Has the benefit of a stainless cylinder (as oppposed to titanium) which is more robust than the lighter 342PD.

I have both a 642 and 340. I was looking at the 342 when the 340 came out. I think it is a greatest hits hybrid of the two.

I bought mine with Crimson Trace 405 grips, which I have on two out of the three snubs in the stable.

Here is a thread I started on The High Road Forum regarding the 340 and their lightweight brethren. 2.5 years of good reading from owner operators.

M&p 340 - THR

Edited by DAdams
Guest Melnhed

:P

My favorite full size DA/SA 9mm out there. They tend to be very accurate, reliable, and arguably the lightest recoiling full size 9mm pistol. New you should be able to pick up either model for $500 to $550 with ease. Factory 15 round magazines are readily available for $20 and if you ever want to suppress the gun you can have your reliable stock barrel threaded for about $70 without needing a custom $150 extension or an expensive ($150 and up) aftermarket barrel. It is the most reliable 9mm to suppress and at with some of the smaller light weight silencers the 92 does not even need a booster to be reliable (unlike an HK, SIG, Glock or any other auto-loader that use a tilting barrel ala browning high-power design. They all require a booster and even then it will not be as reliable as the suppressed 92) The 92 uses a tilting lock.

DEBATABLE!!!!

The CZ looks very impressive, I've never shot one but would like too!!!! HINT HINT Daniel!!!! COOP

Guest bsherrill
DEBATABLE!!!!

The CZ looks very impressive, I've never shot one but would like too!!!! HINT HINT Daniel!!!! COOP

yea i think the cz 75 series is the best value (which came out just before the beretta 92)...if only cz wasnt behind the iron curtain in the 80s...

for 9mm accuracy I think the sig p210 or walther p88 would be hard to beat...but then again they are not in production and prices are high

the cz custom 75 sa target is nice too

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Factory CZ Mags typically cost $30 or more, as apposed to $20 for the Beretta. If you are like me and want to have about 10 mags for any gun you own and regularly shoot this does add up.

If you want to suppress either the Beretta is much cheaper to suppress as the stock barrel can easily be threaded. The CZ requires a new barrel (i.e. expensive) or have the barrel count threaded and a custom extension soldered into place as this is typically at $150 to $165 service.

The quality of the finish is higher on the Beretta than the CZ

Another thing the M9 has going for it that the CZ does not is the Berrta has this..... NSN: 1005-01-118-2640

That being said I still like the CZ75 especially the SP01 models, but I feel the Beretta has more to offer in it's price range.

how about a 1858 Remington, either a Pietta or an Uberti. You can also get a conversion cylinder to shoot cartridge rounds out of. Pick your caliber, 44 or 36, and the conversions are 45 Colt or 38 Special.

Come over to tbe Black side.

TwoLaneBlackTop ,

I like the Beretta's and would love to have one but you may be over doing it a little. I have fired thousands of crappy rounds through the crappy military owned ones with few problems.

Every mans gun collection needs a 1911.

I like my XD as much as any auto I have ever owned. Since you don't like glocks this would be a great comprimise.

Guest BigShot

Every once in a while I get the itch for something different and for now there are two options in the safe. A 15 round, double stack Para .45 that can blast bunches brass in the air faster than a mini-gun and hit the 10 ring doing it.

If that ain't scratching the itch... I break out the "HellBoy" 500 S&W Magnum!! Popping a few of them usuially satisfies all cravings and I can then relax. :o

Since size and cost are non-issues... Go for a 500 mag. You'll dig it!!

I’m not big on revolvers. But open to thinking one over.

Do you have one?

I haven’t read all the posts, but I don’t see many revolvers. Take a look at the 4†or 6“ S&W K or L frames. 19, 66, 586, 686, etc. No handgun collection is complete without one of those. Remarkable quality and truly accurate.

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Kimber

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Springfield

Loaded or TRP personally I would get TRP if I can afford it. I have shot a trp and in my opinion Kimber just does not have a gun that can cut the mustard compared to the TRP.