Bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest removed from TN State Capitol

MikeW

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Churchill say that history is written by the victors? So, if the Confederacy lost... this is just late coming. :screwy:

David:___________

I'm not sure that the saying is not older than Churchill. I want to say it may go back to the Greeks or Romans; but i'm not sure.

For what it's worth, Tennessee was spared a lot of problems from Reconstruction that were placed on other confederate states principally due to having 'Parson" Brownlow (an east tennessee unionist) as governor right after the civil war. Lots of the Reconstruction recriminations (and internal hostilities) were kept in check because a Tennesseean was in office, instead of an outside military governor. President Andrew Johnson was impeached about this time for wanting to ease these recriminations in the old confederate states also. Johnson was from Greenville, TN (again, East Tennessee).

East Tennessee was by and large a union sympathing section of the state (still republican, by the way). Middle and West tennessee were firmly confederate (sill democrat (but changing)). Make no mistatake, the current attack on N. B. Forrest is the culmination of a 145 year campaign by political activists that started with the Radical Republicans. The cause was later taken up by the NAACP, People for the American Way, and the other usual suspects. I believe you are right in opining that they believe they are the "wnners" seeking final victory after these 145 years. That is who Oboma and his bunch are. They just flipped sides from Republican to Demorat.

Kind regards.

LEROY

PS: Check this quote out:

History is the open Bible: we historians are not priests to expound it infallibly: our function is to teach people to read it and to reflect upon it for themselves. ~George Macaulay Trevelyan

Edited by leroy
Added quote
Guest Straight Shooter

There are 3 or 4 of you guys on here that LOVE to call others on here "racist".

I could name names, but for decorum's sake I wont. I think you are full of yourselfs, frankly. Do you KNOW the definition of the word? Ill tell you what it AINT...because I like something, or believe something YOU dont, THAT AINT racist, that called A DIFFERENCE OF OPINION, you knuckleheads.

Someone earlier JOKINGLY said they'd like to see a bust of Ted Nugent. I guarantee somebody, particularly two of you, would have hollered "THATS RACIST..AHHH!!"

It is good for you that you can sit at home, behind a computer, with a anonymous user name, and say these things, cause Ill bet a dollar to a donut you wouldnt say it to my, or anyone elses face. Not without reprocussion,anyway.

Guest WestTN_reb

When talking about Forrest, do a little research. A little research on the Klan will tell you that it was a different organization when it was founded. It was basically a vigilance committee dedicated to lessening the impact of the carpetbaggers and act as some sort of "law" in a time and place when people had to fend for themselves. Yes, Forrest was reportedly in the Klan and was brought before a tribunal, and ACQUITTED. He disbanded the Klan when it was apparent it was getting out of hand and expanding its activities beyond its original mandate.

Before pulling the race card, consider this. Forrest's command during the Civil War consisted of 75 "Free Men of Color." Also of note is that his funeral in Memphis was attended by over 300 blacks.

I personally feel what is being done to General Forrest's legacy is disgraceful and the perpetrators should be properly educated instead of being force fed the politically-correct, revisionist-history, race dividing crap that the NAACP and other organizations are spewing.

When talking about Forrest, do a little research. A little research on the Klan will tell you that it was a different organization when it was founded. It was basically a vigilance committee dedicated to lessening the impact of the carpetbaggers and act as some sort of "law" in a time and place when people had to fend for themselves. Yes, Forrest was reportedly in the Klan and was brought before a tribunal, and ACQUITTED. He disbanded the Klan when it was apparent it was getting out of hand and expanding its activities beyond its original mandate.

Before pulling the race card, consider this. Forrest's command during the Civil War consisted of 75 "Free Men of Color." Also of note is that his funeral in Memphis was attended by over 300 blacks.

I personally feel what is being done to General Forrest's legacy is disgraceful and the perpetrators should be properly educated instead of being force fed the politically-correct, revisionist-history, race dividing crap that the NAACP and other organizations are spewing.

Amen brother!!! Well said!!

Keep up the good work. The truth is a valuable commodity!

Kind regards,

LEROY