Windows 7 godmode.

Daniel

Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode' | Beyond Binary - CNET News

January 4, 2010 12:41 PM PST

Understanding Windows 7's 'GodMode'

Although its name suggests perhaps even grander capabilities, Windows enthusiasts are excited over the discovery of a hidden "GodMode" feature that lets users access all of the operating system's control panels from within a single folder.

By creating a new folder in Windows 7 and renaming it with a certain text string at the end, users are able to have a single place to do everything from changing the look of the mouse pointer to making a new hard-drive partition.

The trick is also said to work in Windows Vista, although some are warning that although it works fine in 32-bit versions of Vista, it can cause 64-bit versions of that operating system to crash.

To enter "GodMode," one need only create a new folder and then rename the folder to the following:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Once that is done, the folder's icon will change to resemble a control panel and will contain dozens of control options. I'm not sure it's my idea of playing God, but it is a handy way to get to all kinds of controls.

I've asked Microsoft for more details on the feature and how it came to be. But so far, Redmond is silent on the topic.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

one thing for sure. Explorer crashes on Vista 64 and you'll have to open a dos window and delete the folder before explorer will run again. Fun!

Can't wait for the easter egg's.

That's why I run firefox it can be as slim as you want it or you can bloat it to the max with add-ons. I have a hp dv7 with a 2.2 ghz AMD Turion and 4gb of ram, and 64 bit vista works ok most of the time luckily my cousin is an a+ comp tech.

That's why I run firefox it can be as slim as you want it or you can bloat it to the max with add-ons. I have a hp dv7 with a 2.2 ghz AMD Turion and 4gb of ram, and 64 bit vista works ok most of the time luckily my cousin is an a+ comp tech.

I believe Mr. Lowbud is referring to Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.