Casting bullets?

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone cast their own bullets?

I'm very interested in doing this a bit later (don't think my wife would let me try to cram it into our apartment, but after we get a house in a year or two...), but I have no idea where to start to get some good info.

Any websites that are good? Any book recommendations?

Thanks!

Brandon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i do. go over to the cast boolits site for info. there are some books out there to read. get a bottom pour pot, it just works better. lyman pots are cheaper that rcbs and to me work just as good. you will need a luber sizer, lube, sizer dies, and top punches. you will also need bullet molds. then you got to find some lead. i use wheel weights, but now they are getting hard to find and when you do they got zinc weights in the mix. but as long as i can get cast lead bullets cheap i don't break out my cast equipment.

Guest canebreaker

I cast .357 120gr. rn for the .38 spl.

.357 158 gr. swc for the .357.

.356 102 gr, rn. for the .380.

.356 125 gr. rn. for the 9m.

www.castboolits.gunload.com great site.

Online stores are:

www.wideners.com

www.midsouthshooter.com

www.natchezss.com

www.fmreloading.com

www.midwayusa.com

www.gamaliel.com

You can get linked to manufacture websites thru these sites.

Make a list of what you want and compair prices.

Lee products are cheap but good.

Molds are made of alum. and have some issues, sometimes.

Start stock piling your equipment and lead for that move, be ready.

Edited by canebreaker

Been casting a little this weekend, .309 and .357 used some old wheel weights I had hanging around for a while.

I had wondered if the wheel weights today were made of lead. Is it easy to tell the difference in zinc and lead ones? Used to garages would just give them to you. Doubt that happens anymore.

Guest canebreaker

Lead wheel weights will be dark gray, natural color.

New weights will be painted a silver gray.

I don't know about the zinc, I have found some steel ones.

I walked the parking lots on both sides of priest water outlet, spillway.

Then the park area (waters edge) on the south side of the dam, lake

and picked up a 40 oz. peanut butter jar of reusable sinkers and some

that can be melted down for bullits and sinkers.

If you find an old auto battery with the stand up terminals. Drain the fluid out, slap the terminals off with a hammer, and leave the battery for trash.