Glaser Silver Tip

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some GLaser Silver, 145 +p would this be a good round for self defense in a colt defender?

I dont want to test fire them becasue thier 15 bucks for 6 . Just curious if anyone has had any reliablity issues with them.

Not sure about the round in your gun, but, you REALLY need to shoot some of them IF you are gonna carry that ammo.

You need to make SURE that it will feed and cycle. Some guns don't like certain ammo.

Just my :up:

Guest bkelm18

Never, EVER carry a round without ensuring it will accurately feed and fire from your weapon. Secondly, if you're spending over $2 per round on your defense ammo, you need to rethink your options.

I got some GLaser Silver, 145 +p would this be a good round for self defense in a colt defender?

I dont want to test fire them becasue thier 15 bucks for 6 . Just curious if anyone has had any reliablity issues with them.

That is something that every gun has to be individually tested for, look before I carry a round I fire several 250-500 rounds through the pistol before I trust it. You are asking for trouble, and risking your life by not testing any round that you want to carry. This ammo that you are asking about is Designer ammunition and I would not waste my money. +P ammo is not necessary for self defense round and adds a tremendous amount of stress to your weapon. I use Remington Golden Saber 230 Grain in all of my 1911's. I have shot thousands of rounds through the 1911's that I have owned and have had ZERO malfunctions with it, I suggest you try that instead

Edited by willis68
That is something that every gun has to be individually tested for, look before I carry a round I fire several 250-500 rounds through the pistol before I trust it. You are asking for trouble, and risking your life by not testing any round that you want to carry. This ammo that you are asking about is Designer ammunition and I would not waste my money. +P ammo is not necessary for self defense round and adds a tremendous amount of stress to your weapon. I use Remington Golden Saber 230 Grain in all of my 1911's. I have shot thousands of rounds through the 1911's that I have owned and have had ZERO malfunctions with it, I suggest you try that instead

+1 i have used Golden sabers also, very reliable. I also have no FTF or FTE using WWB hollow points.

Guest Ghostrider

Ah, I also use the golden sabers for my personal defense round. Mine are the 185 gr JHPs but they are +p rated.

My 1911s and my XD eat them like candy and go bang every time.

Plus - average expansion on these are around 60+ caliber (I've seen some come back at 65 - 67 caliber) so I'm saying I sure wouldn't want to be shot with one...

Glaser IS designer ammo, and I "might" consider using it if I had small children in the home, but my wife has access to all the hangguns AND the 12 Ga, so we should be heading the same direction.... :drama:

You guys are right I shouldn't carry bullets that i havent test fired. What was I thinking.:drama:/ Must Have been a lasp in jugdement .

Golden Sabers eeh, sounds like based on several recommendations this round i will have to try if I can find it. Im looking for a good round for home defense. I heard powerball by corbom was also good and the new crtical defense in 45 from hornday but I cant find anywere

I must confess. I bought some Glasser Silver Dots when I first got in to shooting. They fired fine through my 9mm and my revolver and I understand they work pretty well. Right now they are in my gun safe where they will stay, to remind me of my folly. I guess if Zombies attack my house and I run out of ammo, they will be my last resort. Not to say anything bad about the round or Glasser, but for the reasons posted above I will stick with my standard ammo.

What you need to do is buy a second gun, of the same make.

Keep one filled with Glasers, and the other with more conventional hollowpoints that you have tested to ensure reliability. Carry them both, and if you're ever in a defensive situation, start with the Glaser-loaded gun. If it jams, just toss it and pull out the other one.

Expensive? Yeah, sure. But it's cheaper than buying and firing 200 Glasers for reliability testing. And you get a second gun. :lol:

Seriously, though. I used to load my carry guns with Glasers. I didn't test fire enough of them to be "statistically certain" they'd feed reliably in all of my guns, but I've shot a few--probably about 100 rounds in all. Mixed types of Glaser Blue and Glaser Silver. I've fired them out of a Beretta 84, Beretta 92, Glock 19, Ruger P89, Colt Defender, Kimber Pro-Carry, and a Kel-Tec P32. Never had a failure to feed, failure to extract/eject, or failure to fire. The Glaser Blues fully fragmented and stopped when fired into a gallon jug of water; some small fragments of the Glaser Silvers sometimes made it through and put small leaks in a second jug placed behind the first. I do not know how this performance translates to live targets, though.

I've seen pictures purported to be of kevlar vests shredded by multiple Glaser hits, but didn't have the funds to do my own testing. I'll take donations, though, for the cause.

There are also reports that the Glaser Silver does not fragment reliably after passing through drywall, so any hopes that this is a "safe" round for family members in other rooms may be in vain.

Personally, I'd just go with a more conventional hollowpoint, such a the Golden Saber or Gold Dot.

yeah, That's true to do a reliablty test you could buy another gun. Good point. I have alot of people using golden sabers

There is a very good reason for that, besides the fact that it is the most reliable and accurate ammo I have ever used, it is also the FBI's chosen .45 ammo, good enough reasons for me to never look for another carry round :chill:

The problem with Golden Sabre is you have to make sure your getting the bonded rounds if you want the most bang for your buck; a lot of places if you dont ask they wont tell you that Remingtons policy is to only sell bonded to LE, consequently most gun stores dont sell the bonded ammo. Im sure the non-bonded will still kill but it bothers me they dont give you "top shelf" even though they charge you the same price. Speer only sells one kind to everyone, the best.