1911 Feed Ramp polish... Not for the meek!!

Guest BigShot

Guest BigShot

Had to think on this one a BUNCH!! :lol:

My new 45 parts gun project is taking shape and the heart beat of the whole system is the feed ramp. Have a look at how it turned out. I'm VERY pleased...

MVC-042X.jpg

Can't wait to get it all together and pop some results on paper. :lol:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigShot

You guys are right with your thinkin'... If my Les Baer frame had come out of a finished pistol it probably would not have needed a polish. However, I lucked into an unfinished rough cut that's about 90 percent done and I can bring it in by the book. Been looking into another quality parts gun project for a LONG time. Got my hands full on this one.

Brought the angle in spec with 240 grit on a drill press held "lightly" if not "feathered" to get the exact degree. Did NOT want to ruin my lucky find on the Les Baer. Once I had it on the inside window, I went to 660 grit wrapped around a pencil. LOTS of elbow time while watching football over the weekend.

Will get the rails matched to my slide and the perfect the beavertail area and be ready to set ignition parts within a week or so. Gotta be patient though. I've waited TOO long to find a decent frame and I don't want to goober this one up.

Will get the rails matched to my slide and the perfect the beavertail area and be ready to set ignition parts within a week or so. Gotta be patient though. I've waited TOO long to find a decent frame and I don't want to goober this one up.

Awesome. Keep us posted with your progress and take plenty of pics. :up:

Guest BigShot
Awesome. Keep us posted with your progress and take plenty of pics. :)

Was a GREAT weekend for doodling gun parts!!

Here are some pics showing some of the progress made so far.

Re-affirming the barrel throat to feed ramp fit...

MVC-050X.jpg

One of the original problems with cheapo mags was a hollow point would nose dive and hit the feed ramp causing a FTF. The very reason I wanted a really slick ramp. Here's a couple views showing height of the live ammo clearly above the bottom edge of the ramp.

MVC-059X.jpg

MVC-062X.jpg

Got my frame rails polished within .0015" of the slide and it's very slippery as it should be. With no recoil spring, it will slide back when holding the frame at a tilt. Felt ready to install the beavertail. Installed the barrel, springs and slide release to get a full lock on the lugs and started work on the beavertail end. Here is a pic of how that work has progressed...

MVC-064X.jpg

SO....

Final finishes... Once I get all my 1911 parts timed and working together, I need to make them purty. Any suggestions on what is best for wear and rust protection?? I'm not even closely prepared to do bluing, parkerize or the like so any suggestion on who is the best around these parts to apply it would be welcomed.

Will get all the ignition parts done this week sometime and get some admiration time in before I shoot it. Have to make SURE it's by the book. Don't wanna be "Gumping" on this one. Will keep posted!!

BigShot :D

Very nice and looks tight! The fit between the barrel and ramp looks perfect to my eye. Wish I knew something about finish but really like the "baked on" finishes. TGO David has done some fine work that I've personally seen, maybe he'll chime in.