My first stab at making a holster

I wanted a left-hand holster for a model 51 Remington. One wasn't available, and after talking to several holster makers that didn't express any interest in making one, I decided to try myself. I have a lot to learn, but here's my first attempt. It was actually not a difficult process, and I enjoyed doing it. I guess I've found another hobby to sink money into. This tutorial really helped.

JDLawhon.com - Holstermaking 101

IMG_3079.jpg

IMG_3082.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool! :lol: Especially for a first try! Aprox. how many hours do you think it took to complete?

I'm also curious how much you had to invest in tools and materials? I have a big interest in holster making myself....but it seems like the initial investment would be fairly substantial.

Thanks everybody. It is a 380.

PackinMama, I spent about $180 a Tandy leather. If I had to do it again, I could shave $20-$30 off that. Remember, I had NOTHING in the way of leather working tools. The price included enough leather to make many holsters. I imagine you could buy a smaller piece somewhere. I'd say it took about 5 hours, and I would think the next one will go faster. The tutorial in the link I posted is very good. Trust me, I'm all thumbs. You'd have no trouble at all following Mr. Lawhon's step by step instructions.

Looks great! I went the same route a couple of months ago, and have made 5-6 holsters since. My first attempts didn't look anywhere near as good as yours..!

I found directions online somewhere to make a boning/molding press from plywood and a foam camping pad that makes it easier to get a tight fit - pm me if you're interested in instructions.

gregintenn suggested that I post instructions for the leather press here in case others were interested - so here you are:

I tried but was unable to find the web-site suggesting this, but it’s really easy to make a press that you can use to help shape leather to the gun.

You need some half-inch plywood, a cheap foam camping pad for a sleeping bag (about $6 at Wal-Mart) and either some furniture makers clamps or something heavy to put on top.

I cut two pieces of half-inch plywood about a foot square, then cut 8 pieces of the foam the same-size and glued (I used the same contact cement I use for the leather) 4 each to a side of a piece of plywood and let it dry for a day. You should end up with a two-part ‘sandwich’ of plywood and foam.

To press/mold the leather - I oil the gun well, then wrap it in a layer of plastic wrap and put it into a freezer bag, making sure to get all the air out before sealing it. I get the leather wet (run water over both sides in the sink) and let it dry for 10-15 minutes, then fold it over the gun and place it between the foam press halves. Here’s where the furniture clamps come in – it is much easier to put a clamp on each side and gradually tighten it down than it would be to put something on top to weigh it down. I usually crank it down pretty good – so the foam molds around the gun well.

I let it sit for an hour or so, then unclamp and let it dry. If you want more detail you can lightly re-wet the leather and bone it with a spoon or tool at this point, but I usually don’t. (I always check and wipe down the gun, just in case some of the water got to it, but it hasn’t happened yet.)

Once it’s dry, you can cut and stitch just like you would without molding it, except that it’s much easier to get a tight fit for the gun.

I’ve found that this method works great, and the holsters usually end up holding the gun really well. I’ve also tried pressing it over a curved piece of wood, to form the holster to my hip – that works too.

Pretty simple and inexpensive, but it works great.