First shooting of new Ruger 10 22

Guest bjswolf

Guest bjswolf

Happy New Years guys and gals,

I just shot my first rounds with my Christmas present. Its a standard Ruger 10/22. It was $189 at Academy. The first 100 rounds were tons of fun. Also shot my brother's Christmas present, a Ruger P95 9mm. Both were easy to shoot and great for us as beginners.

I do have a question. What is the best 25 round magazine to use with a 10/22?

I bought a $20 magazine from Academy but had some feeding issues. Gave me a chance to learn how to clear jams correctly though.

Any thoughts on good brands of magazines?

Have a great 2010 everyone.

Brian

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Years guys and gals,

I just shot my first rounds with my Christmas present. Its a standard Ruger 10/22. It was $189 at Academy. The first 100 rounds were tons of fun. Also shot my brother's Christmas present, a Ruger P95 9mm. Both were easy to shoot and great for us as beginners.

I do have a question. What is the best 25 round magazine to use with a 10/22?

I bought a $20 magazine from Academy but had some feeding issues. Gave me a chance to learn how to clear jams correctly though.

Any thoughts on good brands of magazines?

Have a great 2010 everyone.

Brian

There are really only 2:

Tactical Innovations makes three different 25 round models, and are generally considered to be the best, as they can be adjusted for variances in each individual 10/22 rifle. Range from 20 to 60 bucks.

Butler Creek steel lips are probably the most used...a widely used tip is to simply blast inside each one with spray silicone lubricant about every 1000 rounds or so. I have 4 of these and they are 99% reliable with most any .22 ammo. The cheaper "hot lips" Butler Creek models may or may not hold up nearly as well.

Another increasingly popular gizmo is the TriMag, which bolts 3 factor mags together...Ruger has picked up this fellow's product and is even selling them for same price off their website (10 bucks):

trimag.jpg

- OS

Butler Creek Steel Lips and Tactical Innovations are the way to go for 10/22 mags. Butler Creek gives you the best bang for the money. TI mags are expensive.

Actually, the lowest price TI mag is less expensive than Butler Creek steel lips. But it doesn't have steel lips, while the two other models do.

All three you can take apart and clean, and all three are adjustable, unlike Butler Creek.

From TI site:

Rimfire Rifle Mags - Tactical Innovations Inc.

TI25 MACHINED ALUMINUM STEEL LIP

MAGAZINE FOR RUGER 10/22: $59.99

TI25 ADVANCED COMPOSITE STEEL LIP

MAGAZINE FOR RUGER 10/22: $39.99

TI25 POLYCARB ADJUSTABLE MAGAZINE

FOR RUGER 10/22: $17.95

- OS