New Hobby

Guest clsutton21

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clsutton21

I don't plan on picking anyones lock. Haha. Just my own. I figured it would be a neat skill to possess if anyone in my family happens to lose keys in their cars, house, or padlocks.

I took a basic locksmithing course out of high school and did a little work with a locksmith at the time. If you really want to learn it, look into one of those mail order kits/ lesson sets. Locks are actually pretty interesting devices, and while I didn't make a career out of them, I do think they're a lot of fun to tinker with.

A hobby would be photography.

I take issue with that comment. :D I happen to be an out of work potographer because of the new trend of 'good enough'. And your niece is a 'photographer'. And the kid three doors down from you is a 'photographer'. And so is the guy/girl who waits on you at (insert restaurant name here). Everyone is now a 'photographer'.

Anything can be a hobby to one person and a skill or trade to another.

I have a very nice pen, that doesn't make me a writer. I have some very nice pots, that doesn't make me a chef. I have a floor jack, that doesn't make me a mechanic. I can pick a lock in a few seconds, that doesn't make me a thief.

;););)

I take issue with that comment. :slapfight: I happen to be an out of work potographer because of the new trend of 'good enough'. And your niece is a 'photographer'. And the kid three doors down from you is a 'photographer'. And so is the guy/girl who waits on you at (insert restaurant name here). Everyone is now a 'photographer'.

I have a very nice pen, that doesn't make me a writer. I have some very nice pots, that doesn't make me a chef. I have a floor jack, that doesn't make me a mechanic. I can pick a lock in a few seconds, that doesn't make me a thief.

:stir:;):poop:

That's okay - I am a photographer by hobby. I am studying and hoping to build my skills at it.

Sorry you are out of work with it but for many it is still a hobby.

Many hobbies require skills, many skills are not hobbies.

Guest mikedwood
I take issue with that comment. :slapfight: I happen to be an out of work potographer because of the new trend of 'good enough'. And your niece is a 'photographer'. And the kid three doors down from you is a 'photographer'. And so is the guy/girl who waits on you at (insert restaurant name here). Everyone is now a 'photographer'.

:stir:;):poop:

I use to love photography and sold a couple of prints, then did a wedding for pay and after that wedding I haven't touched a cemera much since except to put stuff on Ebay. I wish I had never tried to turn photography into a profession.

Lock picking and safe cracking would be a fun hobby.

Guest nosnos
That's okay - I am a photographer by hobby. I am studying and hoping to build my skills at it.

Sorry you are out of work with it but for many it is still a hobby.

Many hobbies require skills, many skills are not hobbies.

I think his point was that you were trying to say that lockpicking isn't a hobby. Which is crazy. It's a hobby I'd like to take up some day. The difference between hobbyist and professional is obvious. Any profession could be a hobby for someone else.

Guest nosnos

Just kind of a lame comment. Guy asking for any experiences with lockpicking kits. You basically tell him to shutup and get a different idea for a hobby. I hate when people want to tell me my question sucks instead of just ignoring it. :screwy:

Was thinking of picking up a new hobby, something cheap. A friend of mine suggested lock picking, so I began to look up kits. Does anyone have one?

I found this one on CTD and was wondering the quality of it.

DBA-774 - Lock Picking Sets 20 Pieces Includes Picks and Rakes

Lock picking is pretty easy, just don't get caught with them in the wrong place trying to help someone else that really shouldn't have the lock opened, make sure it's ok. I taught myself, with someone else's picks. You will like it. SS

http://www.lockpickguide.com/legalityoflockpicks.html

TN – Tennessee Tennessee Code - Section 39-14-701 - Possession of burglary tools. A person who possesses any tool, machine or implement with intent to use the same, or allow the same to be used, to commit any burglary, commits a Class A misdemeanor.

Edited by SkunkSlayer
Just kind of a lame comment. Guy asking for any experiences with lockpicking kits. You basically tell him to shutup and get a different idea for a hobby. I hate when people want to tell me my question sucks instead of just ignoring it. :screwy:

yeah... a lot of that goes on on forums (all forums)

Be careful not to get caught with picking tools on your person. A lot of jurisdictions view them as burglary tools.

It's a great skill to have, though.

Very good advice! Unless you have a commercially marked locksmith vehicle present, you don't want to be caught with burglar tools on you in the wrong situation.

Guest Muttling
Be careful not to get caught with picking tools on your person. A lot of jurisdictions view them as burglary tools.

It's a great skill to have, though.

+1

Understanding how locks work and picking them is a lot of fun, but you need a locksmith license to legally own the tools.

Most locksmith's today don't really try to pick the lock in the traditional way. They just use a tension bar and a rake to try to work the tumblers in one stroke. If that doesn't work (which it often doesn't), they drill the lock out.

You don't need one of the really big kits to get into it, the kit you linked sounds like it has more than you need.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I take issue with that comment. ;) I happen to be an out of work potographer because of the new trend of 'good enough'. And your niece is a 'photographer'. And the kid three doors down from you is a 'photographer'. And so is the guy/girl who waits on you at (insert restaurant name here). Everyone is now a 'photographer'.

;););)

MC I can understand your frustration....My Dad spent in career in the AF as a Photographer. Back in the days when the photographer had to take the pics and then go mix the chemicals just right and do the dark room stuff to finally have a photograph.

I can remember our bathroom turned into a dark room and my mom giving him heck about it. To make a photograph back then one HAD to be a Professional.

Todays technology has certainly changed all of that so that anyone can buy a digital camera and some software and make pretty darn good pics.

One thing I have noticed though is that most folks simply upload the pics to their computer and forget about them. To me that isnt a photograph.

I took and printed a few really good ones of Iraqi' people while over there that I consider to be of Olan Mills quality. That dont mean I think of myself as a Professional photographer in any way. Just a couple lucky shots. (no war pun intended)

I hope you find work soon doing something that makes you happy. If you have been at the photo thing long enough you probably even miss the smell of the dark room....I know I do, even though I hated it back then :P

All the best to you friend......see ya at the other place soon :)

As for the OP....I have also always been intrigued by the locksmithing thing....they make it seem so simple, I may check out that kit myself just out of curiosity and maybe even like it enough to but it and LEARN it well enough to make a few bucks at it some day. Every additional skill counts these days and no I dont mean to steal stuff....I have a gun for that.....:P:p:p

Hoping you are ALL having a great new year so far....:)

pry bars and bolt cutters make good lock picks.

Hobbies can be damnation too. Twice in my life I turned a hobby into a job, and both times I came to hate the hobby. Now guns are my hobby. You could not pay me enough to work in a gun shop or as a gunsmith.

Buy some padlocks, pick those. Padlocks make most door locks look like a joke. You only need a rake, a hook, and a tension bar. Then when you get better, get a plug spinner and a diamond. All the other stuff is for pros. Also, if you can get the thick handled picks, those are very nice, the thin metal ones will dig into your hands after an hour of hard picking.

Guest clsutton21

Thanks for all the advice. I might try the next kit down. It costs $20 less and only has a 7 or so fewer picks. I wish I could get the nicer case, though. lol