Not such a happy New Year

Bubbatn

Hey guys, Just found out today that the place I work is gonna start cutting back on hours, and employees. Unfortunetly for me, I am one of the ones being let go. So I ask that you guys keep me in your thoughts. I do still live at home, but I do have bills to keep paid up and such, so I am hoping to get back into the working force ASAP.

PS. I am looking for a position dealing with Computer Aided Drafting(CAD), so if anyone happens to know of any available positions in the Knoxville/Morristown area, I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks guys.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I will be able to draw unemployment, just not sure how much yet. Gotta wait til monday to check in with the unemployment office to see what I can get.

Honestly though, The biggest thing for me is insurance. I am a diabetic, and have meds I have to take regularly, not to mention doctor visits and such as well. But anyways, I'll figure something out.

hate to hear of your layoff, welcome to the ranks of the unemployed. got laid off in may after 10 yrs with company. as stated by someone else, take anything to get income flowing again. at your age its easier to get job while employed that while unemployed. i have been in sales for 25 yrs and I'm over it. So, by virtue of choice, I get to start over. Just when I was starting to get serious about retirement!!! Keep your head up, something will come your way. check with the cover tennessee website to see if you might qualify for some assistance thru state.

Guest jackdm3
Yeah, I will be able to draw unemployment, just not sure how much yet. Gotta wait til monday to check in with the unemployment office to see what I can get.

Honestly though, The biggest thing for me is insurance. I am a diabetic, and have meds I have to take regularly, not to mention doctor visits and such as well. But anyways, I'll figure something out.

Currently $300/wk.

Guest HexHead

Be sure, NO MATTER WHAT, you keep your COBRA coverage. It's not going to be cheap. My daughter is about your age, and it's about $400/ mo. She's also "uninsurable" and has to keep it as well.

When you find another job with group insurance, you'll have to show you had "credible coverage" for 12 months and NOT GONE MORE THAN 63 DAYS WITHOUT INSURANCE in order to get your pre-existing conditions covered. IF you exhaust your COBRA after 18 months, you can apply for a "portability" policy through private insurance and again, as long as the time parameters are met, they can't turn you down or exclude your pre-existing conditions, but they can charge you the maximum the State allows them to.

Good luck in your search and DON'T DROP YOUR COBRA!!!

Check the Blue Cross/Blue Shield TN website; some of their short term health insurance is cheaper than COBRA.

Hang on and God bless you . . . I know your pain; I've been out of work since December of 08 and have tried to get a small business going, which has been tough in this economy.

Guest HexHead
Check the Blue Cross/Blue Shield TN website; some of their short term health insurance is cheaper than COBRA.

That stuff doesn't cover pre-existing conditions. You gotta be really careful making suggestions about this stuff unless you really know what you're talking about, and are familiar with the HIPPA act.

PS. I am looking for a position dealing with Computer Aided Drafting(CAD), so if anyone happens to know of any available positions in the Knoxville/Morristown area, I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks guys.

Speaking as someone who spent over 20 years as a CAD draftsman, all I can say is good luck. 'Cause if I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now, I'd have chosen a different field.

However, if you want to make the most of your CAD training, I'd strongly suggest you finish out a degree in one of the many engineering disciplines... because that's the only sure bet at making any money with CAD, or even keeping a job for long.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest strelcevina
Be sure, NO MATTER WHAT, you keep your COBRA coverage. It's not going to be cheap. My daughter is about your age, and it's about $400/ mo. She's also "uninsurable" and has to keep it as well.

When you find another job with group insurance, you'll have to show you had "credible coverage" for 12 months and NOT GONE MORE THAN 63 DAYS WITHOUT INSURANCE in order to get your pre-existing conditions covered. IF you exhaust your COBRA after 18 months, you can apply for a "portability" policy through private insurance and again, as long as the time parameters are met, they can't turn you down or exclude your pre-existing conditions, but they can charge you the maximum the State allows them to.

Good luck in your search and DON'T DROP YOUR COBRA!!!

what if he dont have 500+ $ to up keep his insurance??????

should they just cancel his insurance and wait for him to go to diabetic coma ,so emergency room would save his life????

anyway

sorry for your job, my relatives in Australia had a same job working CAD

and 90% of people in that company was laid off.

it is just much much cheaper to pay somebody in india to do even better job

Hey guys, Just found out today that the place I work is gonna start cutting back on hours, and employees. Unfortunetly for me, I am one of the ones being let go. So I ask that you guys keep me in your thoughts. I do still live at home, but I do have bills to keep paid up and such, so I am hoping to get back into the working force ASAP.

I can relate all too well.

I was in your EXACT position last year. Seriosuly, EXACT (I was 24 and working as a CAD op/Project Manager for a masonry subcontractor).

The best advice I can give, aside from get that resume out there, is to keep your chin up. While depressing at first, I eventually came to see my lay-off as a blessing in disguise. It freed me to make a career transition that I had been considering for some time, and I think I'll be happier in the long run.

Guest HexHead
what if he dont have 500+ $ to up keep his insurance??????

should they just cancel his insurance and wait for him to go to diabetic coma ,so emergency room would save his life????

What's your point? I was giving him the facts of how that stuff works if he wants to ever have his conditions covered again unless 0bamacare is implemented. And even if it is, most of the facets of it won't start for 3-4 years down the road. Except the taxation of course.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Like poak said "Keep your chin up" young man.

In the long run you will be fine and probably even better.

I think it stinks that so many companies do these things at this time of year. Yet it never fails to happen every year to someone somewhere.

Be thankful that they at least waited until after Christmas, having spent many years in construction I have been laid off right before the holidays several times. So many times that I had to begin planning on it. :rolleyes:

I know it isnt that close but I would be sure to get a resume to WV in Chatta. I would expect a young man like yourself who has held the same job for over four years would be a lot more appealing to them than a lot who will apply.

Guest strelcevina
What's your point? I was giving him the facts of how that stuff works if he wants to ever have his conditions covered again unless 0bamacare is implemented. And even if it is, most of the facets of it won't start for 3-4 years down the road. Except the taxation of course.

i was just asking a question.

i never had a problems like this , and what i read in your post was informative.

so i was hoping that you could answer it.

Guest HexHead
i was just asking a question.

i never had a problems like this , and what i read in your post was informative.

so i was hoping that you could answer it.

Unfortunately, there really aren't any other options. Which is one of the reasons healthcare has become such an "issue". My daughter is in exactly the same boat he is. She's finally found a part time job since last Christmas, and she's pretty much making just enough to cover her COBRA and hopefully her car insurance. I've sold heath insurance, so I know how these things work.

And believe it or not, things are much better now than it was before the HIPPA act went into place in the late 1990s.

I was almost in your position last year. I'm a Civil CADD Designer with 20+ years of experience. I was working for a firm in the Sevierville area and they had to cut hours and lay people off. I got my hours cut, but survived two different layoff. Then I lucked into another job and left. I continue to do CADD Designer work, but I got on with a good company and we have plenty of work. Just no openings at the moment.

I keep my ears open for positions in the Civil world here in Knoxville, but there aren't any at the moment. Keep your head up and take a job in whatever comes along. Call Friends and acquaintances. They may know of some job openings. Also check on Craigslist. I know a couple of people that have picked jobs in the engineering field through there, locally.

Good luck!!!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the input, advice, and suggestions. I will be going tomorrow to try to get a few things figured out(unemployment, insurance, etc). After I find out how much i'll be drawing, I guess that'll determine my next move(aside from just getting my resume out there).

By the way, the cost of COBRA coverage recently changed (from IRS.gov):

"Workers who have lost their jobs may qualify for a 65 percent subsidy for COBRA continuation premiums for themselves and their families for up to 15 months.

Eligible workers will have to pay 35 percent of the premium to their former employers.

To qualify, a worker must have been involuntarily separated between Sept. 1, 2008, and Feb. 28, 2010.

This subsidy phases out for individuals whose modified adjusted gross income exceeds $125,000, or $250,000 for those filing joint returns. Taxpayers with modified adjusted gross income exceeding $145,000, or $290,000 for those filing joint returns, do not qualify for the subsidy."

More information is available on the Department of Labor website.

Good luck.