Which .22LR

Guest Plainsman

Guest Plainsman

I"m considering a new .22lr and am having trouble deciding between the Sig 522, S&W 15-22 and the Ruger SR-22. There are pros and cons to each of them, and part of me says just buy a new accurate bolt action in .308 or try something different like a 22-250. The main reason I"m trying to keep myself on the .22 is simply the price of ammunition. I want something that I can go out and have a lot of fun with that won't break the bank every trip to the range like my .223 is doing now.

I've heard that there are some feeding issues with the 15-22, however I like the fact that its basically a dedicated AR platform. Then again part of me says "get something different, you already have an AR".

The Sig 522 looks nice as well, but seem to be much harder to come by. I"ve heard that although it looks like the Sig 556, its nothing the same.

The Ruger SR22 is also a possibility, but have never handled one. I feel like I could simply dress up a 10/22 for much cheaper.

Again, just looking for something fun that isn't your average 10/22 or Marlin 60. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SR-22 is a nice firearm, but seems a little pricey and heavy for a .22.

The Smith and Wesson is nice and feed issues seems slim, but there is a LOT of plastic content in that gun! The whole receiver is plastic.

Your thoughts on the Ruger are spot on....you CAN dress up a 10/22 to your specs cheaper.....all it is is a dressed up 10/22. One plus is that it does use 10/22 mags, which are cheap and plentiful.....

Just my .02

I've heard that there are some feeding issues with the 15-22, however I like the fact that its basically a dedicated AR platform. Then again part of me says "get something different, you already have an AR". ...

So get a .22 kit for your AR.

I shot one just the other day, it was really nifty.

- OS

Just get a 10/22 and use the money you save to make it what you want. Either way, no matter what you buy, it is just going to be another gun that the dude down the street has. Until you get something and spend a little money on it to make it yours, all you have is just another gun. You can not go wrong with 10/22 and everybody and their brother make stuff for them. I understand what you are saying about having something different, and the only way to really get something different is if you make it different.

Guest oldsmobile98

A Marlin 39A, perhaps?

<grins>

I just received one as a gift (thanks, Dad and Mom!). Haven't shot it yet, but it should be a blast, if it lives up to its reputation.

I also hear good things about the Henry lever-actions as well.

Edited by oldsmobile98

I have a 1022 and was thinking about a dedicated 22 upper for one of my spare lowers but after reading reviews and handling on at TN gun country I purchased the S&W. I have burned a couple of thousand rounds of REM and FED bulk packs and have had no issues besides FTF with the REM. Since it has an AR hammer spring and puts one hell of an imprint in the case rims I am sure this was ammo related. It is very accurate and the only difference in controls between it and a real AR is the charging handle does not travel as far. The mags are 18.50 each and fit in AR mag pouches.

I have had mine for 2 monthes many rounds very few feed problems. Search on this forum , I have posted before very accurate and there is nothing wrong with polymer(please don't call it plastic). Mine feeds most everything pay attention to how your load mags and keep gun clean. Best simulates an AR and my kids and wife love the rifle! It is the most fun gun I have.:tough:

Guest oldsmobile98

Not trying to make things more complicated for you, Springfield19!!, but there are also the Colt .22 tactical rimfires, in case you didn't know:

Colt .22 Tactical Rimfire | M4 & M16 Rimfire Rifles | Powerful & Cost Efficient

Jeff Quinn reviews one here:

Colt’s New .22 Long Rifle M-4 Carbine

A less favorable but hilarious perspective here (scroll down to the description):

Colt Umarex Ar-15 ar 15 .22lr M4 toilet plunger : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Guys the conversions are great, but if you want greater accuracy you need the correct twist barrel so you would need a complete upper w correct twist or one of these new dedicated rifles. I recommend the Smith 22-15.:shrug:

Mine is pretty darn accurate... it doesnt shoot 1/4" groups, but I don't mind because thats not what I bought it for.

I can bounce a can all over the range as fast as I can pull the trigger... that is what I bought it for.

Guest Bretticus

Ruger 10/22, scoped. It is a dream. Get it the way you want it, but they work well, and are very popular. I shot one yesterday and was pleased. I was hitting tiny targets at over 50 yards, larger ones at 100 plus.

Guest bsherrill

This is just me but it seems like it would be redundant to get an ar style 22 if you already have an ar. They're too expensive for what you get. Just get a conversion kit if you're don't care how accurate it is, but if you do then get a 10/22 and mod it a little. If you don't mind a bolt action go for the cz 452 and get the most bang for your buck

I was in the same boat last year cause I wanted something cheap to shoot and accurate and I went with the cz 452 american...great gun that shoots as well as a $1k anshutz

I vote for the S&W out of the ones you listed. The Ruger feels cheap to me and the SIG is a mix of AR and AK if its like the SIG556, not my cup of tea. The Colt is nice too though.

I would suggest getting a 10/22 though and modifying it though. You can either go to a sniper/precision rifle or a Ar-style carbine or anything else.

Thanks for posting that. I have been looking at these for a while and have been price shopping. At that price with three mags, it can't be beat.

And as far as accuracy, that is why you need multiple 22's. This will make my 7th or 8th one. They are just so much fun.

If you already have a AR get this CMMG drop in .22 conversion kit

I got one about 6 months ago and as long as you don't use the Rem bulk it works great.

At the cost of $169 you can get it and something else for what one of those .22 ARs would have cost you.

the tactical Ruger 10/22's will out shoot and outperform any of the other companies ar-22 copies. And they are around $300.

Which models do you mean?

The Target Tactical is $555 MSRP and the SR22 is $625 MSRP.

Surely neither of those can be had for 3 bills?

- OS