Guest GunTroll

What console to get?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What console to get?

• PlayStation
    • XBOX
    • other

Guest GunTroll

So I got a Christmas check and have been thinking of getting a console of some sort. I have been out of the gaming loop for some time now. I got the PSII when it was brand new and haven't upgraded since (been busy). I do enjoy wasting my time in front of the TV every now and then and wonder what console to get.

PlayStation, Xbox, or......

I don't think I would be into the Wii but you never know. I'm mainly into shoot em' up type games. WWII type of stuff or any of the sort. What do you suggest?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XBOX 360 is still the console of choice IMHO, but the Wii is very fun in its own way

I have both. The Wii is the bomb if you want family games, where everybody gets together and plays, laughs, etc. Xbox has more non family friendly type games, like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2! Of course the Wii has it too, but it doesn't come HD ready, and I'm not positive HD is an even an option, but I just got mine, so don't quote me. Xbox also has a bigger online community, Xbox live, that gives you lots of Internet rangers to shoot. If 8 year olds trash talkin' and calling you names bothers you though, you might want to leave the headset off.

That's my $.02.

I have both a Wii and Xbox360. I use Xbox more.

Couple of Xbox pluses:

With Xbox live and Netflix subscription you can stream movies to your TV instead of your computer.

Use it as a DVD player (universal remotes can work if you code search)

Wider selection of games in the GameStop bargain bin (I don't buy new games).

Just my .02. Wii is fun to play with my daughter (4yo) but when I want to veg and game I turn on the 360.

You can also access Facebook and LastFM via Xbox360.

XBOX 360 all the way.

People complain about having to pay to play online, but i see it as a plus. With XBOX Live you have dedicated servers that go through routine maintanence every day. Then you have Playstation servers, which crash constantly, and are generally in poor upkeep.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
XBOX 360 all the way.

People complain about having to pay to play online, but i see it as a plus. With XBOX Live you have dedicated servers that go through routine maintanence every day. Then you have Playstation servers, which crash constantly, and are generally in poor upkeep.

WithStupid.gif

XBOX 360 all the way.

X2

I bought the 360 for because of Netflix, and that I was not interested in Blu ray or whatever it is. We stream movies through it all the time. I've read that the PS3 will do this now, too, though. I haven't had any problems out of our system in the last year, but I do know some guys still get the red ring of death. It's not as bad now as it used to be on the earlier machines, though.

All that said, I will be buying a PS3 in the near future, just so we can have both systems. My son is a gaming collector, and has almost all of the old systems. We are still working on getting a few though (anybody have a Atari 2600 for sale?). My wife also wants a Wii, so it looks like I'll have a house full of this stuff.:D

Personally, I say 360.

It may not be as much of a graphics powerhouse, but for multiple platform releases, that hardly matters.

XBOX Live is worth the $50/yr.

Also, ergonomically speaking, the 360 controller is light years ahead of the PS3's.

Wii also has wireless interweb capability that you can download old school games, for example, most of the Super Mario stuff.

We got Wii Fishing (Rapala) for Christmas, while a little hokey, it is a lot of family fun. For example, I caught a plate of sushi, 24.9lbs of sushi!

I have not tried a real game, like Call of Duty, on the Wii, I need a good game like that though.

What do you suggest?

I went with a PS3, mainly due to the blue-ray option, but between TVersity and PS3 Media Server I can stream all my music, movies, pictures to the TV in the living room with minimum effort. Now that they have Netflix streaming for the PS3 it's even better.

Using it to play games (Modern Warfare 2 is amazing!) is pretty sweet too! :)

I have not tried a real game, like Call of Duty, on the Wii, I need a good game like that though.

I played "Red Steel" (I think thats what it was called...) for the Wii when it first came out. Wasn't a completely spectacular game, but it was awesome to be able to point and shoot for the first time since "Lethal Enforcers" on my Sega CD :)

I'd be really interested to see what the gameplay is like on a COD port.

playstation as you can use any games you already have with it. save a bit and be able to get new ones too have fun

Not true with any of the new PS3's. They took away the compatability chip to save money. I have both but prefer the 360 for shooter's and online play. No, Xbox live isn't free, but is waaaaay more organized and at only $50 for 13 months, it's not really that much when you consider all the extra downloadable content for games and how smooth your online experience will be. Definitely go with a 360 with a hard drive though. It lets you install the games from you disk to your hard drive so your load times will be much shorter. Still need the disk to play though.

Guest clsutton21

I have all 3.

Xbox if you like playing online. Plus the console is cheaper.

PS3 if you are the "lone" gamer type or need a blu-ray player.

Wii if you are an occasional gamer and just like to have fun.

I have all 3.

Xbox if you like playing online. Plus the console is cheaper.

PS3 if you are the "lone" gamer type or need a blu-ray player.

Wii if you are an occasional gamer and just like to have fun.

My thoughts exactly being I own all 3 also

Guest GunTroll
Not true with any of the new PS3's. They took away the compatability chip to save money. I have both but prefer the 360 for shooter's and online play. No, Xbox live isn't free, but is waaaaay more organized and at only $50 for 13 months, it's not really that much when you consider all the extra downloadable content for games and how smooth your online experience will be. Definitely go with a 360 with a hard drive though. It lets you install the games from you disk to your hard drive so your load times will be much shorter. Still need the disk to play though.

I did not know about he hard drive issue with the XBOX 360. Without me looking are these with the hard drive pricey?