Cobra Derringers?

gunsablazin

Does anyone have any info on the Cobra derringers? I'm wanting a small last ditch hideout gun, and I want more power than a .380, .32 etc. If these guns are decently made I believe one in .38 spl would do nicely for what I have in mind. I shot some Davis made guns in .22 mag and .25 acp and they both malfunctioned, that is not too good! I had an American Arms derringer in 9mm, and it was very well made, but it got confiscated by my wife.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any info on the Cobra derringers? I'm wanting a small last ditch hideout gun, and I want more power than a .380, .32 etc. If these guns are decently made I believe one in .38 spl would do nicely for what I have in mind. I shot some Davis made guns in .22 mag and .25 acp and they both malfunctioned, that is not too good! I had an American Arms derringer in 9mm, and it was very well made, but it got confiscated by my wife.

I have one in .38. It's heavy, slow to deploy from half cock safety position, dangerous to load if not on half cock, has a 50 lb trigger pull, is crudely made and overpriced.

Other than that, it's a great firearm.

It HAS always gone bang, though. But at average $150 price, I'd recommend a Hi-Point C9 instead.

cobra.jpg

- OS

I don't think you're going to get significantly more power from a .38 spl, out of a barrel that short, than you'll get from a .380 coming out of a small auto.

Besides, a Ruger LCP or something of the like isn't an awful lot bigger, and gives you a few more chances to get a hole in something vital. ( I'm not a "high capacity" freak, but I do like numbers at least higher than 2. :) )

The Cobras themselves have struck me as being rather poorly made, in the couple of examples I've seen. However, I've not fired one, so I don't know if they're at least functional despite their crude appearance.

Just my opinion, but I'd look for something else.

J.

I had the Davis .32 acp and a .38 special. Cobra bought the makings for these guns from Davis. Both went bang when you squeezed the trigger but neither was what I would call a quality firearm. I am a fan of derringers in general but Cobra/Davis are on the low end of the quality spectrum.

I sold may .38 special not long after getting a Bond Arms Snake Slayer in .410/.45LC. These are great guns and I carry mine daily. Much larger and heavier than the Cobra but an infinitely better firearm.