Help please??

If you kill an innocent person you aren’t going to get off.

You are going to prison and the victims family will take everything you have; leaving you in jail and your family with nothing.

I've read of at least one case of the shooter walking after a no-knock warrant was served on the wrong house in the middle of the night. Not only was it the wrong address, but it was the wrong freaking street. Cops with God complexes should really be more careful...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read of at least one case of the shooter walking after a no-knock warrant was served on the wrong house in the middle of the night. Not only was it the wrong address, but it was the wrong freaking street. Cops with God complexes should really be more careful...

If he “walked†it was because he was protected by “qualified immunityâ€; that is something we don’t have.

There are times when the most powerfull weapon is a radio (or a cell phone in this case). I would much rather call 911 in that type of situation then guess wrong. Personaly I want to protect myself and my family. I'm not here to save humanity, just my little slice of heaven on earth (or as near as I can make it). That's my two cents worth....

Well, here's one, but it's not in TN. It was in Tulsa, OK

iws3.png

iw_close.gifiw_plus.gifiw_fullscreen.gifFull-screeniw_minus.gifDeputy Newt Ellenbarger -- the Mary Lou Coonfield Raid

In August 1996, Tulsa police raid the home of 68-year-old Mary Lou Coonfield on a drug warrant. Coonfield awakes to find a man in black standing in her bedroom, holding a gun. She grabs a .22-caliber pistol and fires, wounding Tulsa County Deputy Sheriff Newt Ellenbarger.

The warrant for the raid on Coonfield's home would later be thrown out, ruled in both 1996 and 1997 to be illegal. In 1999, a jury acquitted Coonfield of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and feloniously pointing a weapon, due to Oklahoma's "Make My Day" law, which states that "an occupant of a house is justified in using physical force, including deadly force, against another person who has unlawfully entered the house if the occupant reasonably believes that the other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant of the house."

Coonfield, who's both hard of hearing and has poor eyesight, says she didn't hear police announce themselves before entering, and thought she was being robbed.

Sources:

"Woman cleared in shooting of deputy," Asssociated Press, January 15, 1999.

Bill Braun, "Woman cleared in deputy shooting," Tulsa World, January 15, 1999.

Bog Doucette, "Agent testifies about drug raid," Oklahoman, January 16, 2004.

Aug 30, 1996

There are plenty out there, but most were actual drug dealers who were tried and convicted of murder (no doubt a by product of the drug dealing and nothing to do with no-knock warrants. Here's another one from Titusville, FL:

In February 1989, police in Titusville, Florida raid the home of 58-year-old Charles DiGristine, a retired painter. As a flashbang grenade detonates near the front door, DiGristine's wife screams, and DiGristine runs to his bedroom to get a handgun.

Officer Stephen House, dressed in dark clothing and a black mask, charges into the bedroom with his gun drawn. DiGristine shoots and kills him.

Police raided on information from an anonymous informant that the house was being used by armed drug dealers. They found only a small amount of marijuana belonging to DiGristine's son.

DiGristine was charged and tried for first-degree murder. A jury acquitted him.

When DiGristine then filed suit against the city for the raid in 1990, the Titusville city manager responded, "It appears from the publicity achieved by filing very close to the anniversary date of this occurrence that it fits with the overall plan of greed and publicity."

It was in TN. I'm pretty sure I found the link in a thread on this site, but it may have been TFF. I'd probably never find it again now...

Let me help you…

It was in Lebanon about 5 years ago. Officers had the wrong address on a warrant and entered the home of an elderly couple. The old man pulled a shotgun and an Officer killed him. If I remember correctly the Lt. in charge was indicted, but charges were dismissed. The wife settled a lawsuit with the state for an undisclosed amount.

It was a tragic accident.