Extra Ammo Long Trip

Just curious what other folks do planning a trip by car for about 10 days all the states I am driving to reciprocate the TN HCP so no issues there. Do you all carry extra ammo above and beyond what you normally do on a daily basis for a long or extended trip? If so how much?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tennesseevolz

I think that if I was on a long trip, and I had to empty the 4- 7 round 1911 mags that I carry with me THAT MY TRIP WOULD BE CUT SHORT----just my op!!!

Guest Bronker
I think that if I was on a long trip, and I had to empty the 4- 7 round 1911 mags that I carry with me THAT MY TRIP WOULD BE CUT SHORT----just my op!!!

Roger that. I carry a mag in the gun and two full extras.

If I am taking a trip, I always carry a rifle with extra ammo. As stated above, I do believe my trip would be cut short if I had to use all the ammo I normally carry, but I guess some people get in shoot-outs more often than I do. They might stock a little extra.

Guest HexHead

No, I don't take any extra. I took a trip like you're mentioning last year and just took my J-frame in my pocket with it's 5 rounds and felt sufficiently armed. Where the hell you going, Mogadishu?

Thats the first thing I thought.

When I travel I carry ikn the same manner I do here in Knox.

The only reason I could think of to bring a lot of extra ammo is if you are worried about a SHTF type scenario.

Oh hell, now when I travel I am always going to pack a battle rifle and 200 rounds for it.

Guest Jcochran88

I carry like I normally do, xdc with 2 more mags with extended grip. That is it. If I need or think I need more than that I should re-evaluate where I am going.

I don't think anyone that takes extra ammo thinks they are going to be in a north hollywood type shoot out.

It's just if you are involved in something or maybe even find time to go the range, you will have ammo for the rest of the trip and or trip back.

I don't carry extra ammo on my person when I take a trip, I just pack some so I wouldn't have to go buy some while I'm there.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I'm with FallGuy here, the only reason to carry any more than the norm, which for me is plenty would be if there was a range trip planned at the end of or durring the trip.

Of course checking availabilty and price at the destination would be foremost.

If I ever have to shoot all that I carry normally my trip is going to at the least very delayed if not over for good....:bored:

Guess I had not thought about this much. I am like the other guys and would only carry a lot with the hope for an opportunity to go to the range or have some time to shoot.

I would think if the purpose for extra ammo is for an event where you had to defend yourself or family, God forbid, you would need another gun as well. I have always been under the impression that if involved in this situation, your gun will be held for evidence until a later date.

I may be wrong here, someone correct me if so.

Guess I had not thought about this much. I am like the other guys and would only carry a lot with the hope for an opportunity to go to the range or have some time to shoot.

I would think if the purpose for extra ammo is for an event where you had to defend yourself or family, God forbid, you would need another gun as well. I have always been under the impression that if involved in this situation, your gun will be held for evidence until a later date.

I may be wrong here, someone correct me if so.

Well the words may or maybe even probably are better used. Nothing is 100% sure... :D

As I posted earlier, I made a trip to Fl. to work on a Mobile home, I took an extra 100rd. box of wwb. We found a nice indoor range about 19mi. away, burned up the 100rds. had a nice break that day. So yes take an extra box, might find a chance to have some fun.:P

I don't think anyone that takes extra ammo thinks they are going to be in a north hollywood type shoot out.

It's just if you are involved in something or maybe even find time to go the range, you will have ammo for the rest of the trip and or trip back.

I don't carry extra ammo on my person when I take a trip, I just pack some so I wouldn't have to go buy some while I'm there.

I concur. I have found that a magazine in my 1911, as well as a spare that's full, is quite enough. I do carry extra in the car, so that I can go out to a field in the middle of nowhere, sometimes, and pop off a few if I'm bored (on vacation - there's nowhere around here, really, to do that sort of thing).