Remington 740 30-06

Guest randynten

Guest randynten

Hi guys. I found a 30-06 forsale and wondered if it was worth getting. Remington model 740. It's in very good shape. He's asking $400 for it, But I no I can get it cheaper. I tried to look it up and everything I can find on it says it's from the early 60's. Any thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try to get it for less than the current price. If it were a 7400 and not the 740 I'd say $400 would be a good deal. Inspect it very carefully if you decide to buy it. The 740's are notorious for cracked forearms and worn recievers. I have a 740, 742 carbine and a 7400 all in 06. The 740 has seen years of hard use and always functioned properly for me. It did suffer accuracy problems after a few shots at the range. There is a fix for it but I never bothered. Isn't one shot enough? :D The 740 I have also has a cracked forearm which many have. It is a great woods gun! I've also heard them referred to as "jam-o-matics" but never once did I have a feeding problem in any of mine shooting factory ammo. I retired the 740 and I jumped up to a 7400. I then did some horse trading and came in to a 742 carbine. The 742 is my #1 gun out of the safe for deer hunting in thick cover.

You might check this quick read out as it confirms the problems I had with my 740 to a tee. Remington 740/742/7400  Semi-Aut

Hope this helped.

• 1 month later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.