Fl CWP to Tn HCP ?

Guest TnRebel

Guest TnRebel

I have a ? about transferring my Fl. permit to a Tn permit when I move up in Jan. I looked all through the forum and Tn Handgun site and ca not find the answer,

Someone told me that if I turn my Fl in for a Tn it would be the same as a renewal , I want to know if this is correct ?

Edited by TnRebel
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest excatm76

You don't have to turn in your Florida, just show it at the DPS(DMV everywhere else) when you apply for the TN. You will have to take the class. However they treat it as a renewal, so you only have to pay $50. You do not have to get fingerprinted again. I applied for my TN HCP back at the begining of August, I just got it about a week ago. I had a Florida permit as well. Since they treat it as a renual it gets shoved to the bottom of the list in favor of new aplications. Your FL permit and the reciept will act as your temporary permit. When you get the reciept from the DPS make sure to make them put a sticker on it that states that it acts as your temporary permit.

When I got mine they tried not to give me the sticker, so I called the state office and get them to tell the people at the local DPS office they needed to put t he sticker on. Without the sticker you can not carry should your FL permit expire before your TN is issued.

Once it has been 90 days since oyu submitted your application and you have not recieved your HCP (you likely will not have recieved it yet) you have a few options to speed the process along. I email Lisa Knight, the lady with the state in charge of issuing HCPs, and I contacted the state Rep for my district. I had a response the next buisness day stating that my HCP had been approved and would be sent in the next 10 buisness days. The emaila ddress for Mrs. Kinght is Lisa.Knight@state.tn.us

Guest TnRebel
You don't have to turn in your Florida, just show it at the DPS(DMV everywhere else) when you apply for the TN. You will have to take the class. However they treat it as a renewal, so you only have to pay $50. You do not have to get fingerprinted again. I applied for my TN HCP back at the begining of August, I just got it about a week ago. I had a Florida permit as well. Since they treat it as a renual it gets shoved to the bottom of the list in favor of new aplications. Your FL permit and the reciept will act as your temporary permit. When you get the reciept from the DPS make sure to make them put a sticker on it that states that it acts as your temporary permit.

When I got mine they tried not to give me the sticker, so I called the state office and get them to tell the people at the local DPS office they needed to put t he sticker on. Without the sticker you can not carry should your FL permit expire before your TN is issued.

Once it has been 90 days since oyu submitted your application and you have not recieved your HCP (you likely will not have recieved it yet) you have a few options to speed the process along. I email Lisa Knight, the lady with the state in charge of issuing HCPs, and I contacted the state Rep for my district. I had a response the next buisness day stating that my HCP had been approved and would be sent in the next 10 buisness days. The emaila ddress for Mrs. Kinght is Lisa.Knight@state.tn.us

Thanks alot , I will do just that , and what did the Safty class run you .

Thanks alot , I will do just that , and what did the Safty class run you .

Class will cost $60-100, with probably about $80 on average. There is no designated price, depends on where you take it.

excatm76's post was exactly correct re requirements:

------------------------------------------

from Handgun Carry Permit Application Requirements

Florida

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), complete a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, and pay the applicable renewal fee.

(Florida requires fingerprinting but does not require a safety course.)

-----------------------

- OS