Enfield / Ishapore 2A 7.62 Scout

Ernest.T.Bass

I've had an Ishapore / Enfield 2A in 7.62 for for at least 15 years. It is a Gibbs Rifle Company "fake" #5 Jungle Carbine. I ordered it "new" in the box sometime in the mid 1990s from Bob Farnsworth in Vonore. Seems like it was about $125. It it probably the ugliest firearm I have ever owned (if you don't count Glocks). It is also heavy, as it is encumbered with at least 4 pounds of wood stock. Almost a year ago I had an order in to Cheaper than Dirt ( I sometimes call "Expensive as Crap") and I added an ATI polymer sporter stock. I got bored today and finally installed the stock.

I really like the change in looks. Now if I can figure out how to add a forward mount-long eye relief scope I will have myself a very low buck "Scout Rifle". Any suggestions?

P1020291%20(1024x768).jpg

P1020296%20(1024x768).jpg

P1020299%20(1024x768).jpg

P1020304%20(1024x768).jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks nice! We had another discussion about make Scout Rifles back in the summer. Ended up over 5 pages. I posted a like there to a Ishy that a fella had converted. It's here.

Turn a stock bolt action into a Scout rifle - which rifle do you start with? - Page 2 - THR

Now personally I don't like his, cause I think the iron sites should be left on for back up purposes.

The original thread was here.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/23433-scout-rifles-3.html

Enjoy!

Enfields aren't ugly! Anything that works that well is beautiful. The Enfield is one of the most highly-regarded bolt-action rifles in history. As a battle rifle it was better than the K98 Mauser, and all Mausers are excellent rifles.

I really should put it one the scale and see. The original stock HAD to be near 4 pounds. I'm thinking around 1.5 to 2 for the new one. The balance is dramatically better.

Can anyone make a suggestion about fitting a muzzle brake. I would like to do away with the carnival snow cone look and the bayonet lug. I find bayonets useful only when I forget a tent stake.

You could buy a cutter and thread the barrel yourself. If you go over to Saiga12.com, there are some guys that have a how too for barrel threading. Doesn't look that hard. Then you can but whatever brake or flash suppresser on you want.

Of course, hard is a funny thing to pin down. I'm still trying to get my courage up to convert my Saiga .223 over right now. Finally got all the parts and tools. It doesn't look hard either. Just need to grow a pair and get'er done!

Edited by Moped