New guy with 1911 questions

Guest fourspdRAT

Guest fourspdRAT

Hey guys. I've been lurking around for a little while so I guess it's time for me to make a post. I'm a Glock guy and have always wanted a 1911 for a range gun and building project. I've had my eye on a SA Mil Spec and I have some questions about it. First, why do the GI and Mil Spec models have a "raised" mainspring housing? Also, how difficult is it to change parts, like the hammer, grip safety, trigger, and mainspring housing? Those are just some things l would likely upgrade as time goes on. I work on cars for a living so I have some mechanical knowledge, but I'm definatly no gunsmith.

Any help is greatly appreciated and this is a great site y'all have here!

--Gray

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is not hard working on a 1911. if you can do a full break down of your glock then you can do the same with a 1911. not hard, easy to do. there are many sites and books on how to do it. look around. back in the 70's & 80's i use to build 1911 from parts that i got at the shows. but that was before the government got involed in gun shows and gun shows turned into knife and beef jerky shows. use to be boxes and boxes of military parts at every show, everything that you needed to build a complete gun. cheap too. not now.

Guest HexHead

The arched mainspring housing was one of the changes made to the 1911 with the introduction of the 1911A1 in 1927. It supposedly helped foster a higher grip on the pistol. Those two models have them because they are supposed to be 1911A1 copies. Personally I prefer both the looks and feel of a flat mainspring housing.

Between the two you mentioned, get the Mil-Spec if you can instead of the GI. The Mil-Spec has an enlarged ejection port and better sights. If you're going to customize the pistol, you're gonna want the larger ejection port. I had a GI because at the time Mil-Specs weren't available. I would have grabbed one if I could.