Christmas catastrophe averted

Mike.357

well sort of, I guess it depends on the definiton of catastrophe. :cheers:

The boss stuck the turkey in the oven, it was pre heated good to go.

She checked it about 45 minutes later and the oven had died. I can see a crack in the element that is about three inches long. There was a spot near that on the element glowing like a welding rod.

So I saved the bird anyway. Pulled the upper two racks out of the gas grill, heated it up and finished cooking it. Looks pretty good actually and smells great. She ran over to her moms to bake the macaroni and cheese, while I did my end. Everything is good to go I think. She just ran back to grannies to pick up the macaroni and I guess we will be eating soon. Time to carve the bird almost. Everything else she did on the stove top or microwave.

What sucks though is everytime I have a little cash set aside, almost feel like I am half a step ahead something like this happens. Must be life, I dunno.

Going tomorrrow to see about buying a new stove. Heck if I knew the thing was going to die I would have bought one and called it her xmas present. Now I have to buy one anyway and I alread bought her a xmas present. The short end of the stick always seems to point at me. :(

I am not a miser, ( well not too much :-x) the oven was here when we bought the house 6 years ago. The thing was old then. I guess I am out of excuses to not buy a new one.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
well sort of, I guess it depends on the definiton of catastrophe. :cheers:

The boss stuck the turkey in the oven, it was pre heated good to go.

She checked it about 45 minutes later and the oven had died. I can see a crack in the element that is about three inches long. There was a spot near that on the element glowing like a welding rod.

So I saved the bird anyway. Pulled the upper two racks out of the gas grill, heated it up and finished cooking it. Looks pretty good actually and smells great. She ran over to her moms to bake the macaroni and cheese, while I did my end. Everything is good to go I think. She just ran back to grannies to pick up the macaroni and I guess we will be eating soon. Time to carve the bird almost. Everything else she did on the stove top or microwave.

What sucks though is everytime I have a little cash set aside, almost feel like I am half a step ahead something like this happens. Must be life, I dunno.

Going tomorrrow to see about buying a new stove. Heck if I knew the thing was going to die I would have bought one and called it her xmas present. Now I have to buy one anyway and I alread bought her a xmas present. The short end of the stick always seems to point at me. :(

I am not a miser, ( well not too much :-x) the oven was here when we bought the house 6 years ago. The thing was old then. I guess I am out of excuses to not buy a new one.

Murphy, meet Mike.

Mike, Murphy.

Replace the element, I had the same thing happen and for $45.00 shipped I had a new element and installed it myself

Did the same on a 7 year old oven that came with the house. It's easy to do.

Replace the element, I had the same thing happen and for $45.00 shipped I had a new element and installed it myself

oooh, I gotta look into that. I think though she has her heart set on a new one. This thing is old and she hates the stove top on it.

I am going to slide that idea across the tabel and see what reaction i get.

Guest Oaklands
oooh, I gotta look into that. I think though she has her heart set on a new one. This thing is old and she hates the stove top on it.

If your wife is anything like mine, get ready to purchase a new oven!:cheers:

Saw a new kenmore on craigslist for $200 just a minute ago, Mike.

If you go for the new one, there will be sales starting at 6:00 am tomorrow.

I ran that new element idea by her. And I got a suprising answer. She said that would be fine, no moaning, I did not get the "look".

So someone help me out here. Where do I buy one locally or online and how do I go about changing it?

I looked at where it attaches to the back of the oven and there are not screws hoding it in place. Kind of like rivets maybe, not sure.

I ran that new element idea by her. And I got a suprising answer. She said that would be fine, no moaning, I did not get the "look".

So someone help me out here. Where do I buy one locally or online and how do I go about changing it?

I looked at where it attaches to the back of the oven and there are not screws hoding it in place. Kind of like rivets maybe, not sure.

Mike,

What make and model do you have? I looked the part number up online for mine and if you give me that info I can find it for you

Mike,

What make and model do you have? I looked the part number up online for mine and if you give me that info I can find it for you

thanks willis.

after I posted I thought to myself, " ggez you dummy just google White Westinghouse oven element and google how to replace oven heating elements. Found a bunch of info. Now I just need to narrow down which one I need.

I might be able to buy a gun after all, LOL

I found the exact piece I need from a place called repairclinic.com

Delivered for 35.02. Should be here Wednesday. So I have day or two to figure out how to do it. It looks like there are hex headed screws holding the thing in place on each side. As long as I do not electricute myself I ought to be back in business.

Thanks for the help willis, you had me going in the right direction and I found just what I needed once I had the model number.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Forget the oven, buy a new grill to replace it. :cheers:

Grilled turkey is great, but you have to have a 4 burner grill.

I took the roasting pan sitting on a cookie sheet and put the whole thing in the grill. Had to remove the two upper racks first of course. But it worked great. The bird turned out really good and juicy.

I found the exact piece I need from a place called repairclinic.com

Delivered for 35.02. Should be here Wednesday. So I have day or two to figure out how to do it. It looks like there are hex headed screws holding the thing in place on each side. As long as I do not electricute myself I ought to be back in business.

Thanks for the help willis, you had me going in the right direction and I found just what I needed once I had the model number.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Just be sure that your breaker is turned off, verify this and be careful when removing it, if it is like mine the wire harness is very tight (not much slack) it really is simple if you are careful

Just be sure that your breaker is turned off, verify this and be careful when removing it, if it is like mine the wire harness is very tight (not much slack) ...
Yes, for Gawd's sake make sure the 220 is dead.And echo that about the tight wiring harness, if a connector comes off and springs behind oven wall back into all that insulation, you can be in for a long search and rescue with pliers, hemostat, coathanger, whatever. The language is never pretty either.- OS
Guest HexHead
I took the roasting pan sitting on a cookie sheet and put the whole thing in the grill. Had to remove the two upper racks first of course. But it worked great. The bird turned out really good and juicy.

Next time just cook the bird on the grill in the first place. I made my T'day one on my Weber grill for years. Can't be beat. Frees up the over for everything else without juggling.

Yes, for Gawd's sake make sure the 220 is dead.And echo that about the tight wiring harness, if a connector comes off and springs behind oven wall back into all that insulation, you can be in for a long search and rescue with pliers, hemostat, coathanger, whatever. The language is never pretty either.- OS

I had thought about hemostats before I even disconnect the wire. Clamp it with it as soon as it is exposed. I have a few pairs of them so I can easily lock onto each side. I am familiar with techincal terms that get used when wires go on the stray.

Next time just cook the bird on the grill in the first place. I made my T'day one on my Weber grill for years. Can't be beat. Frees up the over for everything else without juggling.

When it comes to cooking I stay out of her way. If she tells me to use the grill I use the grill. It comes down to our rules about who is boss in what part of the house. I do not tread in her kitchen when she is working her magic, LOL It did cook up very nicely in the grill. I will throw that idea at her for the next time. I bet she likes it. The oven is never big enough for holiday meals. Not sure how she pulls it off every year.

note to all dudes!!!!! Don't, I repeat DON'T buy your wife a major appliance for Christmas!!! Most women don't like that, stove/appliances are a household item and besides when purchasing those items for "her" makes it look like its "her" responsibility....I'm just say'n