Ruger customer service???

Guest Jack Brickhouse

Guest Jack Brickhouse

I cannot decide between a Ruger Gp100 .357 or the Smith and Wesson large frame .357. The Smith is $180 more. I have dealt with Smith and Wesson customer service and it was the best customer support I have ever experienced. Has anyone dealt with Ruger customer support? If Ruger has just as good customer support as Smith and Wesson, I'm getting the Ruger. Any personal experieces out there that you would like to share?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I don't like about Ruger is that there is no explicit warranty. So you're, more or less, at the whim of whoever is running Ruger at any given time. While, they have been generally good at service, if management changes hands, they can refuse service at any time.

I cannot decide between a Ruger Gp100 .357 or the Smith and Wesson large frame .357. ?

“Large†frame S&W would be the “N†frame. The “K†frame would be more along the size of the Ruger. What model S&W are you comparing?

I have never used Ruger’s Customer Service, but S&W’s is the best in the industry if you need it.

I use S&W as an example of what Customer Service should be in all industries, not just the gun industry. Of course the days of Customer Service are about gone.

Guest Jack Brickhouse
The thing I don't like about Ruger is that there is no explicit warranty. So you're, more or less, at the whim of whoever is running Ruger at any given time. While, they have been generally good at service, if management changes hands, they can refuse service at any time.

That's a big red flag to me, also. When I purchased my SR9 which I love, I was disappointed to see how vague the Warranty was written. I belive I'll keep saving until I can afford the Smith. I guess. I can't help but to think.

A Ruger in hand is better than a Smith behind the counter.

Bought a Ruger P90 last year, called with a concern that the gub was shooting low. The fella I talked to said it was more than likely me, as did about 50 other people I have talked to as well, but...he said...could be the gun, so I will have a new rear sight out to you in a couple days, 10 days later, viola, I have my new rear sight. No questions asked, no big deal.

I bought a SP101 last November. The barrel wasn't quite lined up with the frame so I called Ruger and they took it back and fixed it.

When I got it back I completely disassembled it to clean and lube (wished I had done that before its first trip) and the top of the trigger assembly had a bevel which IMO was excessively ground (partially through the latch pivot pin). I sent pics to Ruger and they agreed and took it back again and replaced the part.

When it again returned it had a large ding/gouge in the cylinder where someone had hit or dropped it. By this time I was pretty peaved as Ruger had had my revolver about 2-3 months between the 2 trips. As this was only cosmetic damage, I emailed their customer service to let them know about it but I wasn't interested in sending it back.

A lady with Ruger customer service called and implored me to send it back again and they would send me a new revolver. I said at this point a lot of good repair work had been done and I didn't want to start over. Eventually I agreed to let them take it again and, on top of replacing the cylinder they threw in a set of Crimson Trace grips at no charge.

The whole experience turned into quite an ordeal but Ruger was trying hard each time to make things right (and they paid shipping both ways for each of its three trips).

hkuspc2-1.jpg

Edited by JMR1138

Dropped my Blackhawk not too long ago, broke rear sight blade. A call, and had free replacement in a few days.

This is only need of Ruger CS I've ever needed, besides Blackhawk have SP101 and a couple of 10/22's.

More than likely, that GP will be as solid a revolver as you can buy, but if any probs, I'm sure they'll take care of it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I have dealt with both (PPK & LCP) and they seam to treat their customers right in the end. I do not own a Ruger revolver but love my S&W and would consider purchasing a Ruger myself. Even beyond price and Customer Service, I'd say go with the one YOU like the best. The price is what it is and the S&W will always be worth more even though I'm not sure they are all that much better, but what do I know.